Verdell's led rrefugium light

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I replaced the twisty pig tail 6500k light over Verdell's refugium and the results are in this thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-ebay-led-grow-lights.335703/

basically it was a 12" square enclosed red blue 45w grow light. Cost was $15.

It fit almost perfectly over the refugium area. I just put some eggcrate on the fuge and laid the light on it. It also had 4 hanger cables I could have used also to suspend it a few inches above the fuge.

the chaeto has taken off and has doubled (at least) in a week. The aquatic cove maintenance guy was also impressed with the light.

I also have it on a timer to be on 10 or so hours in reverse lighting.

I also added a small ebay pump to help keep the chaeto moving. But can't seem to get it tumbling. So perhaps I need to adjust that part.

But so far I am impressed. The only thing I have done more effective was the old in tank refugium on the old 55g.

(dern as usual I can't edit the title. LOL)

Last edited:

joejoe1055

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice.
would u recommend the reverse light cycle over a 24 hr? eith this light or any fuge light

OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I hear the macros do need a rest so I like 10-120 hours of refugium light.

With a reverse cycle, the pH remains more constant which is supposed to be good. But than a pH drop at night does tend to pump some calcium into the system also. When I had a ph drop and added oyster shells as filter material calcium did rise for 300ppm to 420ppm or so. But then alk started dropping so eventually I started the diy two part.

my .02

Back