Vermetids or branching coralline algae?

AstroCoral

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2023
Messages
283
Reaction score
225
Location
Ohio, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to buy some snails, the seller has these listed but I’m trying to figure out if this is a thin branching coralline or vermetid snails covered in coralline.
 
Last edited:
I vote branching coraline/other. The branches appear to have solid and white cross sections. A few of the branches have additional branches coming off near the top of the branch. I don't see a spiral at the base on any of the branches. For those reasons I vote coraline or other algae
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m looking to buy some snails, the seller has these listed but I’m trying to figure out if this is a thin branching coralline or vermetid snails covered in coralline.

View attachment 3176429
These are from a very reputable seller and are in fact covered with coralline.
 
Upvote 0
I vote branching coraline/other. The branches appear to have solid and white cross sections. A few of the branches of additional branches coming off near the top of the branch. I don't see a spiral at the base on any of the branches. For those reasons I vote coraline or other algae
That was another thought of mine as well, I’m extremely confused because it looks like vermetids on first glance but the more I look at it the more I think it’s a thin branching variety of coralline.
 
Upvote 0
These are from a very reputable seller and are in fact covered with coralline.
Definitely a reputable seller, I just wanted to make sure as I had a horrible outbreak of vermetids in a previous tank.
 
Upvote 0
That was another thought of mine as well, I’m extremely confused because it looks like vermetids on first glance but the more I look at it the more I think it’s a thin branching variety of coralline.
The snails you receive likely won't have branches this pronounced, that's a stock photo of hers.
 
Upvote 0
You could break one and if it is solid like @MoshJosh mentions, then you are probably safe.
I haven’t purchased the snails so I don’t have the ability to do this, otherwise I would break it off and look at the piece under a microscope.
 
Upvote 0
I haven’t purchased the snails so I don’t have the ability to do this, otherwise I would break it off and look at the piece under a microscope.
If I had read your original sentence carefully before replying I would have realized. :confounded-face:
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new