Very disappointed with LA shipment

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased from Live Aquaria for many years. I understand that almost all fish come in with some parasite whether internal or external in the hobby today and that treatment is almost always needed after acquiring a fish from anywhere - whether LA or some other vendor. With that said, my recent purchase from LA of a spot band butterfly and hippo tang was very disappointing. The hippo tang shows signs of infection near the base of the tail as seen upon inspection through the bag. The infection does not look too bad, so it could have been missed when the person bagging the fish for me processed it. I'm crossing my fingers that it makes it. As many of you know, the Hippo tang is a sensitive fish when shipping and first acclimating. It's in trifecta antibiotic treatment as I write.

When I finished acclimating and released the butterfly fish that was shipped to me bagged in a low stress shaded bag, it clearly exhibited signs of a raging infection all down the one side of its body. It is hard for me to believe that the person bagging this fish did not know it was sick. After treating with copper for many years, I’ve dealt with fish infections before. I know they usually do not kill a fish in a couple of days. I’m happy to say since learning about the trifecta antibiotics here at R2R, I have successfully treated multiple fish showing signs of infection when the infection was caught early and sometimes even when the infection was advanced a bit-several weeks into the infection.

Still, I knew there was no saving the butterfly fish. Checking the water quality, I knew it was good and my quarantine tank is fully cycled, so I started the 1st dose of the trifecta antibiotics as soon as I saw the condition of the fish. It died before the night was over. I'm very disappointed. Is there a slight chance the person bagging the fish didn’t know these fish were sick? I supposed the tang’s infection could have been missed and even the butterfly fish if the infection was caused by one of those rare viral types that kill more quickly. To be fair, there is always that chance, but I’m inclined to think otherwise.

Below is a picture of the dead fish, less than 10 hours after receiving it in overnight shipping. I don’t have a microscope to identify the infection that killed the fish, but I’ve seen infections that look similar. The infection starts out looking like a hematoma spot or spots somewhere on the body of the fish, usually increasing in size over several days to weeks, with the end stage (if not treated quickly) progressing to bleeding ulcers, killing the fish as seen in the picture of the butterfly fish.

BTW, I emailed LA with pics of the dead fish and let them know I was not a happy camper. I did not receive a response back. No surprise.

To be clear, I’m not upset (at this point) with LA. The company to date has always stood by its policies to give credit for fish that die within 14 days. It’s the person that bagged the fish that boils my blood. IMHO, he/she did not inspect these fish well for illness before bagging. I guess purchasing from DD, where the health of fish is more carefully monitored, is the safest bet when ordering. Fish purchased from the California facility that die are credited or reimbursed, but if you’re like me and lose a day’s pay when you take off work to receive in a shipment of fish, the cost of purchasing from the CA facility is just not worth it.

What do the experts think? Vibriosis?

LAlived about 10hrs 5-31-18.jpg

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the heck, I'll pile on. My most recent shipment from LA consisted of two dwarf angels that weren't strong enough to swim against the current of the powerhead in the qt. Both were covered in small white spots on the front half of their body. And both died within 48 hours.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last order was good, but the CA facility is actually Quality Marine and I don't think they pay attention when bagging fish more often than not. :mad:

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! So it's not just me.

y last order was good, but the CA facility is actually Quality Marine

Talking to an LA rep about 6 to 8 months ago, I was told then that PetCo actually bought out LA several years ago. I wonder if Quality Marine is just another alias for PetCo now too?

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last summer I ordered 3 wrasses from them. On top of flukes and internal parasites, two died within a week of swimbladder issues. Even their DD fish have come in ragged looking and sick for me.

I think, sadly, this is just the norm.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased from Live Aquaria for many years. I understand that almost all fish come in with some parasite whether internal or external in the hobby today and that treatment is almost always needed after acquiring a fish from anywhere - whether LA or some other vendor. With that said, my recent purchase from LA of a spot band butterfly and hippo tang was very disappointing. The hippo tang shows signs of infection near the base of the tail as seen upon inspection through the bag. The infection does not look too bad, so it could have been missed when the person bagging the fish for me processed it. I'm crossing my fingers that it makes it. As many of you know, the Hippo tang is a sensitive fish when shipping and first acclimating. It's in trifecta antibiotic treatment as I write.

When I finished acclimating and released the butterfly fish that was shipped to me bagged in a low stress shaded bag, it clearly exhibited signs of a raging infection all down the one side of its body. It is hard for me to believe that the person bagging this fish did not know it was sick. After treating with copper for many years, I’ve dealt with fish infections before. I know they usually do not kill a fish in a couple of days. I’m happy to say since learning about the trifecta antibiotics here at R2R, I have successfully treated multiple fish showing signs of infection when the infection was caught early and sometimes even when the infection was advanced a bit-several weeks into the infection.

Still, I knew there was no saving the butterfly fish. Checking the water quality, I knew it was good and my quarantine tank is fully cycled, so I started the 1st dose of the trifecta antibiotics as soon as I saw the condition of the fish. It died before the night was over. I'm very disappointed. Is there a slight chance the person bagging the fish didn’t know these fish were sick? I supposed the tang’s infection could have been missed and even the butterfly fish if the infection was caused by one of those rare viral types that kill more quickly. To be fair, there is always that chance, but I’m inclined to think otherwise.

Below is a picture of the dead fish, less than 10 hours after receiving it in overnight shipping. I don’t have a microscope to identify the infection that killed the fish, but I’ve seen infections that look similar. The infection starts out looking like a hematoma spot or spots somewhere on the body of the fish, usually increasing in size over several days to weeks, with the end stage (if not treated quickly) progressing to bleeding ulcers, killing the fish as seen in the picture of the butterfly fish.

BTW, I emailed LA with pics of the dead fish and let them know I was not a happy camper. I did not receive a response back. No surprise.

To be clear, I’m not upset (at this point) with LA. The company to date has always stood by its policies to give credit for fish that die within 14 days. It’s the person that bagged the fish that boils my blood. IMHO, he/she did not inspect these fish well for illness before bagging. I guess purchasing from DD, where the health of fish is more carefully monitored, is the safest bet when ordering. Fish purchased from the California facility that die are credited or reimbursed, but if you’re like me and lose a day’s pay when you take off work to receive in a shipment of fish, the cost of purchasing from the CA facility is just not worth it.

What do the experts think? Vibriosis?

LAlived about 10hrs 5-31-18.jpg
And I was going to buy a considerable amount of corals, from them. Not good

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of doing some business with NYAquatics. Anyone ever purchased from there before? The prices seem comparable most of the time.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! So it's not just me.

Talking to an LA rep about 6 to 8 months ago, I was told then that PetCo actually bought out LA several years ago. I wonder if Quality Marine is just another alias for PetCo now too?

Quality Marine is a large wholesaler, lot of the LFS use them too, they can be hit or miss. My last order 2 fish came from Quality Marine, 1 from ORA in FL and all fish were fine and made it through QT and are in the DT. They were all pretty hardy fish. LA is usually good about refund/reship. I think it comes down to who bagged them and how much they were paying attention.

I was thinking of doing some business with NYAquatics. Anyone ever purchased from there before? The prices seem comparable most of the time.

I have ordered from Michael before. @4FordFamily has ordered from him a lot and I believe has nothing but good things to say.

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
piked fin gob
LA has a yellow wrasse on back order for me. I decided not to have it sent to the house this time but to a UPS facility. I guess I'll see how fast the order can be filled. The spikefin is a lot harder to get than the yellow wrasse.

Even their DD fish have come in ragged looking and sick for me.
That's awful news! I'm glad you shared it though. I was going to order from them next. Now I'm really contemplating ordering from NYAquatics.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality Marine is a large wholesaler, lot of the LFS use them too, they can be hit or miss. My last order 2 fish came from Quality Marine, 1 from ORA in FL and all fish were fine and made it through QT and are in the DT. They were all pretty hardy fish. LA is usually good about refund/reship. I think it comes down to who bagged them and how much they were paying attention.

I have ordered from Michael before. @4FordFamily has ordered from him a lot and I believe has nothing but good things to say.
Agree NY is a good vendor!

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good enough for me to try them out! Is humblefish selling yet? If so, another option for us. :)

@Humblefish is in the early stages of getting things going. I would imagine he will be making the official announcement as soon as he is ready to open the floodgates.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have seen, live aquaria has been known for being 50-50 on their fish being sick or not, which is why I only buy coral from their divers den.

I don’t have any experience ordering fish from them I have ordered coral from them propbably 10 or so times and only once did I have an issue where a sps colony bleached, and they refunded my money.

It seems that everybody who always has the issue with their fish, are the fish that come from California

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back