OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One I looked at that's local to me wanted around $250 to come out.

I believe it. I have to travel 3+ hours to find the nearest fish vet. That's just not an option for me. :(

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i learned about the petco connection yesterday. Ugggh. I am not the kind to slam corporations, there are plenty of good corporations in the world but Petco and the level of care needed fpr saltwater fish just dont seem to mix :(

Once i get over the fact that i killed a gorgous adult sohal tang in QT yesterday i am going to try fishy business aquatics.

aiber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe the coincidence of this thread. I purchased 4 Banggai Cardinals last week and all 4 died within 24 hrs. They are going to refund but still very disappointed.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow all these updates are scaring me.

I have been seriously disappointed in nearly every LFS around me and had been considering LA. Fortunately, I've mostly been eyeing DD and ORA fish which don't ship from CA. There are a few fish on my list that would ship from CA...but now I feel like I should avoid them and risk it with the LFS.

What alternatives are there? I've heard mixed reviews from other places like saltwaterfish and fishybusiness. I do prefer ordering from DD for the added assurance and don't mind paying more for them. I still QT, but knowing that they are eating and treat well before shipment helps with their chances. My main concern are the tangs I'm going to purchase. I want to make sure they are in good shape prior to shipping.

I'm actually one of those people who don't really care much for Petco owning them. Their employees get paid decently and get good benefits and 401Ks vs. no benefits at an LFS and sometimes very low wages. Only the higher end LFS can really afford to pay a decent wage or have benefits because they do big installs and there aren't many of those around. It seems like the issue is with the wholesaler though not really LA's main facilities in WI or with ORA themselves (another dropship source).

I've actually been pleasantly surprised lately with DD as they have been carrying more sub $50 DD fish.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ordered an XL sohal, large leutenant tang and a watchman goby from fishybusiness about 10 days ago. The fish looked great they shipped fast and they are all doing well in copper and prazi right now.

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest and final order from LA was a purple Tang. They say in their pledge that all fish go through a deliberate process to monitor sickness and such before being shipped off. I received my Purple Tang with considerable signs of HLLE. If I wanted a purple tang with HLLE, I would go to my local fish store. But I bought from LA assuming I would receive a beautiful specimen. That wasn’t the case. Very disappointed

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest and final order from LA was a purple Tang. They say in their pledge that all fish go through a deliberate process to monitor sickness and such before being shipped off. I received my Purple Tang with considerable signs of HLLE. If I wanted a purple tang with HLLE, I would go to my local fish store. But I bought from LA assuming I would receive a beautiful specimen. That wasn’t the case. Very disappointed

Was this a DD order or shipped from the CA facility (quality Marine dropship)

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was shipped from California. I talked to multiple customer service reps and they wouldn’t refund me because the fish wasn’t dead. HLLE isn’t a death sentence for a fish, just doesn’t look pleasing to the eye. I was disappointed to say the least because we pay a premium to LA for quality fish

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a decline in the quality of fish recently as well.

I feel that the decline occurs at the wholesale level, or earlier in the chain. Most online vendors and lfs purchase fish from a relatively small number of wholesale sellers so comparing quality of livestock between retailers is largely pointless. One would have to compare wholesalers quality to see if there is a difference.

To me, the biggest factor in choosing a retailer is customer service. How good the terms of the warranty are and how willing the retailer is to honor that warranty are what sets retailers apart from one another.

By those criteria, LA is still my favorite online source. I hate buying from a petco owned company but until I find another competitive option, i will buy from LA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The Hippo tang from LA is still alive, 3 weeks today, and the yellow coris wrasse is still alive at two weeks today. Both were immediately treated with 10 days of antibiotics to rid them of the infections they came in with. Unfortunately, the butterfly was too far gone when I received it - as the pic at the beginning of this thread shows. No matter where one buys fish today...LFS or online, I think keen observation of the fish and immediate treatment (that means meds on hand) is the key to getting any sick fish healthy.

Both surviving fish are in Copper Power as I write. I took a week to ramp up the copper because they both just went through antibiotic treatments, so their natural immunities are going to be down. I am dosing probiotics in the tank and in their food to support their lower immune systems. The hippo tang has lost some more weight...it was thin when I got it...but it's still eating. The yellow coris is eating like a pig. I did notice white stringy poo from the yellow coris yesterday, but I'll wait to dose PraziPro after the copper is done to avoid a bacteria bloom. I will start dosing their food now to tackle the internal parasites.

My good news continues. Not only are the two surviving fish still alive, but so is my biological filter. The Marine Pure balls did their job again! No ammonia or nitrite spikes at all. The tank stayed cycled through the antibiotic treatment and the ramp up of Copper Power. :)

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is good news. what antibiotics have you dosed? I ask because i typically just do copper and prazi.

Also, i have been using beta glucan whenever i have a sick fish and have seen very good results. Not many people talk about it as it is not sold in fish stores but it is a much morr effective immunity booster than garlic or selcon IMO.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/9/aafeature

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is good news. what antibiotics have you dosed? I ask because i typically just do copper and prazi.

Also, i have been using beta glucan whenever i have a sick fish and have seen very good results. Not many people talk about it as it is not sold in fish stores but it is a much morr effective immunity booster than garlic or selcon IMO.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/9/aafeature

How do you procure this stuff and how do you feed it [emoji848]

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazon. you can get a bottle for like $10. that will last you for about a decade. lol.

i typically break open a pill and sprikle it on frozen food that is a little bit damp.

what i have been doing is buying a brick of lrs, pulling the whole thing out and lettung it thaw just a touch and sprikking two pills on the whole sheet.

i have also sprinked it in flake food theb added garlic guard.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i should add that i have uswd this stuff as a last ditch to fix two different fish that were on deaths doorstep and it worked like magic. Maybe the medications i applied prior to using the glucan were the reason but the one fish wasnt responding to anything and i started this and about a week later he was all good.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of doing some business with NYAquatics. Anyone ever purchased from there before? The prices seem comparable most of the time.
Yes, I bought a Regal Angel from him before. She was in perfect condition, and ate like a pig! Beautiful fish!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought some corals from them. Just trash. They emailed me I'm getting refund been a week now,no refund yet. I'm glad I paid with cc. Will be getting refund from my bank. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM. EVER!!!!

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazon. you can get a bottle for like $10. that will last you for about a decade. lol.

i typically break open a pill and sprikle it on frozen food that is a little bit damp.

what i have been doing is buying a brick of lrs, pulling the whole thing out and lettung it thaw just a touch and sprikking two pills on the whole sheet.

i have also sprinked it in flake food theb added garlic guard.

What’s LRS? This might work for the Masstick I make. I like masstick for new fish because i can just stick it in the tank and they can pick at it on their terms

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck so far with Live Aquaria. Most fish from Los A and one from ORA have been alive for about 2 weeks and eating well. It was my first purchase with them. Dustin

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%

Back