Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he is still alive and he is the meanest ******* EVER

That is odd. Well, at least you got the fish you ordered. :) I've heard that about the Achilles personality. Is it in quarantine with other fish? I've never owned one myself. I don't mind a bit of chasing or a fish protecting its home, but I prefer a semi-peaceful tank. I tend to get upset when a fish is picked on relentlessly. LOL

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last three orders from them were awful. I got a refund - not a credit - so they were good about that. I have not sworn them off for good, but I am really close. They are not the same since PetCo purchased them, IMO.

Getting ready to just order direct from Hawaii and go to Delta freight to get them.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snagged a powder brown before it hit my lfs water that came in from Seagrest. It is a nice one.

My last LA orders have not been the best.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is odd. Well, at least you got the fish you ordered. :) I've heard that about the Achilles personality. Is it in quarantine with other fish? I've never owned one myself. I don't mind a bit of chasing or a fish protecting its home, but I prefer a semi-peaceful tank. I tend to get upset when a fish is picked on relentlessly. LOL
He is in a 300 with many other fish, three other tangs. I recently tried to introduce a majestic angel and he went CRAZY.. slashing, nipping, slashing... the angels pectoral fins were almost gone in about 5 min...

Put the angel in an acclimation box for 5 days. Let him out... achilies goes right for him.

Now he is back in the acclimation box. I am putting an adult sohal and powder blue through qt right now to introduce all three together.

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is everybody complaining about petco and LA? People are finding out they got bought out and it’s like both companies are judged more harshly. I guess I’m bias, I have nothing but luck purchasing from both online and in store.

So many fish come to us sick today....from different vendors....from LFS, it's sad. Where else would a consumer put up with poor quality goods after purchasing except the fish hobby? Shouldn't we expect to receive a viable product? For example, if one purchases a dog or cat, we expect to treat it for worms, but we expect the animal to be healthy enough to survive. Fish today come in with so many aggressive, evil pathogens that many don't survive. That's the difference, and anyone in this hobby knows that saltwater fish can be expensive to lose. For me, it's stressful. LA does reimburse. They have always been really good that way, but I would prefer not to go through the stress of treating sick fish only to lose a good number of them anyway because they come to me too far gone to save. I have not been in the hobby as long as many others here at R2R, but I do remember a a time when the majority of fish did come in healthy. What practices have changed that have increased the number of sick fish? What can be done to turn things back around in the fish's favor? So many questions, but few answers.

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a 300 with many other fish, three other tangs. I recently tried to introduce a majestic angel and he went CRAZY.. slashing, nipping, slashing... the angels pectoral fins were almost gone in about 5 min..

Wow, sounds like the Achilles needs the time out, LOL. I have a Kole tang in an acclimation box right now because it went after my majestic angel with the intent to maim. He's cooling his heals (or fins) for a week there. If when I release him, he does not behave himself, I'll rehome him. I hate to because he's such a great algae eater, but I love my majestic angel too much to see it harmed. Actually, I have a few fish that I need to sell because they did not play nice or were picked on when placed in the 180 gal. I'd like to downsize a bit. It takes me a about 7 to 8 hours each week to do all my water changes and tank maintenance.

I have much better luck when introducing multiple fish at one time, too. Right now I have a Hippo tang, princess parrot, porcupine puffer, and two anthias in quarantine/copper to be added to the 180 in about three to four weeks.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a 300 with many other fish, three other tangs. I recently tried to introduce a majestic angel and he went CRAZY.. slashing, nipping, slashing... the angels pectoral fins were almost gone in about 5 min...

Put the angel in an acclimation box for 5 days. Let him out... achilies goes right for him.

Now he is back in the acclimation box. I am putting an adult sohal and powder blue through qt right now to introduce all three together.

PBT, achilles and sohal! Sounds like chaos

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i am hoping that having three ancanthrus will serve to difuse the aggression. I also have an 8" desjardini. I should name my tank cell block 6. Lol

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been happy with LA as that they are risk free. Something goes wrong and you get your money back. No questions.

I was disappointed when I ordered a small “2-3” in bluethroat and a minimum 6-8 inch bluethroat with age scars came. I never complained—I’m actually quite attached to the fish after a few months

That same order, I ordered BTA that look in rough shape. They allowed me to extend the live guarantee until thirty days and it was not hassle to refund. Essentially, I was able to work with them and give a critter in rough shape a chance.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say i was shocked when i dipped corals i got from LA.. man, i have never seen so many things fall off a frag before.

That was the first and last time i bought corals from them

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They allowed me to extend the live guarantee until thirty days and it was not hassle to refund. Essentially, I was able to work with them and give a critter in rough shape a chance.

Yes, LA has great customer service and will work with the customer to make up for the sick fish that are received. I was offered an extended warranty on the sick hippo tang that came in the same shipment as the butterfly that died. The hippo seems to be responding well to the antibiotics, but now it's flashing against the PVC in the sick tank. Time to add the copper!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many fish come to us sick today....from different vendors....from LFS, it's sad. Where else would a consumer put up with poor quality goods after purchasing except the fish hobby? Shouldn't we expect to receive a viable product? For example, if one purchases a dog or cat, we expect to treat it for worms, but we expect the animal to be healthy enough to survive. Fish today come in with so many aggressive, evil pathogens that many don't survive. That's the difference, and anyone in this hobby knows that saltwater fish can be expensive to lose. For me, it's stressful. LA does reimburse. They have always been really good that way, but I would prefer not to go through the stress of treating sick fish only to lose a good number of them anyway because they come to me too far gone to save. I have not been in the hobby as long as many others here at R2R, but I do remember a a time when the majority of fish did come in healthy. What practices have changed that have increased the number of sick fish? What can be done to turn things back around in the fish's favor? So many questions, but few answers.

To be fair, QTing fish en masse is not easy (as I am fast discovering.) You can use Chloroquine, copper, prazi, etc.; but it's only a matter of time before you encounter fish with pathogens resistant to the standard treatments, and you must go back to the beginning & retreat using alternative medications. Of course, not all fish are going to survive long enough for the alternative medication(s) to work after being infected for so long. Fish also sometimes will develop a secondary bacterial infection during treatment, and that typically requires 10-14 days worth of antibiotics in a separate system. Also, feeding expensive frozen foods laced with probiotics + vitamins is very important during treatment to keep the fish's natural immune system intact (most meds are immunosuppressants).

What I described above is just not financially viable for most LFS or online vendors. So, the objective is to move the fish down the supply chain as quickly as possible. In most cases, the onus is on you (the customer) to QT your fish.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont mind doing the neccessary work to try and heal a sick fish but honestly, it seems almost impossible to determine what is wrong with them without a degree in vetrinary science. If there was a local fish vet i would gladly pay $100 to save a $50 fish.

I even bought a book on fish diseases, but even with a science degree, it seems a little over my head.

:(

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont mind doing the neccessary work to try and heal a sick fish but honestly, it seems almost impossible to determine what is wrong with them without a degree in vetrinary science. If there was a local fish vet i would gladly pay $100 to save a $50 fish.

I even bought a book on fish diseases, but even with a science degree, it seems a little over my head.

:(
https://www.fishvets.org/tools/locator/locator.asp?id=30

One I looked at that's local to me wanted around $250 to come out...

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA back order yellow coris came with ammonia burn and/or infection. I added it to the hippo tank sick tank. Both, so far, seem to be doing well in the antibiotic trifecta medication. :)

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say that I agree with you all. I ordered from LA years ago and had no problems. Within the last 2 months I've ordered twice (on the FW side) and had nothing but issues. The order I received this week contained half the FW shrimp already deceased. The stink was so strong that it makes me wonder if they were even alive the night before when they shipped out. I can't imagine them not being alive, but it was just so pungent. 2 more have since passed, which I am guessing is due to living in toxic water during shipping. Very disappointing, but as others have said, the customer service rep has given me refund credit each time I've called so far without question so at least that is positive.

Also, yes, they are still owned by PetCo. I received a refund check for an equipment order that wasn't in stock when they filled the order and the check was from PetCo. I agree it was disappointing to find out that PetCo is overseeing LiveAquaria and can't help but compare the quality before and after they changed hands. Sorry to see that my experience is not unique...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back