Very happy with my tank

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going everyone! I have just today realized my tank is at a point where I am extremely satisfied with, and I know how quickly that will change so I'm jumping on the opportunity to post about this tank.

So first let's talk about equipment. I recently upgraded my light to a single red sea 50 from a modified t5 setup I had. And let me say, massive improvement seeing as the controllable aspect allows me to have soooo much more control over my corals par. I run it at 68% blue and 47% white, I've worked that up for the last 3 weeks and it's seemed to be a sweet spot. I added 2 poweheads, nothing special just 2 relatively cheap ones that I could afford, and even these add a whole new level to the tank. They don't have a particularly controllable aspect but they do have a intensity setting, and I've been running the right one at 85% and the left at 65%. Gives a bit of a wave in the tank even without the 'random' flow mp40s offer. I haven't changed out this filter since my original tank which was a jungle freshwater tank, so I don't really know the actual model lol. I just know it works and I have no complaints.

Now as far as parameters, I've begun to test less as the tank levels out more, as the results have been stable for about 2 months now which is a massive win for me, as in every one of my tanks nutrient swings have been a massive issue. It's been holding steady at 1.026 salinity, 8.7 dkh, 8.3 pH, 445ppm calcium, 1375 magnesium, undetectable nitrite, 0.03 po4 and 4 ppm nitrate. These are my average readings over the last 4 tests. (None of the readings were outside of the acceptable range of these). I don't have a ATo, so I've been doing that all manually, which has proved less troublesome than I expected.

Now lol, wbat everyone came to see, livestock and corals. I have currently only 5 fish in this tank, which is quite understocked considering it's a 45 gallon lol. Just like to keep it safe. At the moment we've got a black clown, lost his pair before I added the rest of the livestock, a yellow clown goby which is a more recent inhabitant, and 3 bangai cardinals added 4 days ago. As for corals I have 2 hammers, one of which is mid split, 4 or 5 kinds of zoas, a couple mushrooms, some GSP and some others that I really can't ID, just picked them up because they looked cool . Can't flame me though because we've all been there haha. I've also got a monster 10 inch anemone I got from petco for 40 bucks. Best purchase I've made in a while lol because it's super awesome. Hosted my clown immediately and looks amazing. And on the plus side it's healthy lol.

I do have a few questions, mainly about livestock.
First, how many more fish would you guys say is a safe limit? I say safe meaning not overloading the bio load and also to not cause fish unnecessary stress. Also, what would you guys recommend for fish and corals? I'd love suggestions. Also, would you upgrade the wavemakers? I've thought about it, but haven't really considered going through with it. And if so, what kind of pump would be good in a 45 gallon?

I'll attach the pics of the tank below! Thanks for reading!

20211023_163813.jpg 20211023_163900.jpg 20211023_163912.jpg 20211023_163931.jpg 20211023_163941.jpg 20211023_164000.jpg 20211023_164009.jpg 20211023_164014.jpg 20211023_164023.jpg 20211023_164029.jpg 20211023_164157.jpg 20211023_164334.jpg 20211023_164556.jpg 20211023_164606.jpg

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also had a question about what heat you guys keep your tanks at because I keep mine at 79.5 which is high but it works. Any input is welcome just wanna hear some other opinions

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats my friend! Your tank looks great and is clearly mature enough to have begun to naturally stabilize.

as far as the fish question goes, allow me to respond with another question. What does your filtration and nutrition export look like? Technically people could manage an in humane number of fish in a tank if their nutrient export is on point. Doesn’t mean a person should, but yeah.

as far as power heads go, check out ai nero and tunze. Solid options that won’t break the bank

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats my friend! Your tank looks great and is clearly mature enough to have begun to naturally stabilize.

as far as the fish question goes, allow me to respond with another question. What does your filtration and nutrition export look like? Technically people could manage an in humane number of fish in a tank if their nutrient export is on point. Doesn’t mean a person should, but yeah.

as far as power heads go, check out ai nero and tunze. Solid options that won’t break the bank
Thank you! I will definitely check those out, and I'd say my filtration is manageable but it's not crazy, I dont think I'll go more than at most 2 or 3 more fish, just because I don't feel like overhauling my filtration just to add more atm, I'm happy with the way it's running so why change lol.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going everyone! I have just today realized my tank is at a point where I am extremely satisfied with, and I know how quickly that will change so I'm jumping on the opportunity to post about this tank.
So sure. Your tank is doing well. Your proud of your accomplishments. Life is good. But... Well there are no buts. Congrats! Tank looks great. There will absolutely be challenges in your future, but for now, enjoy the fruits of your labor. Tank looks awesome. You should be proud.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will definitely check those out, and I'd say my filtration is manageable but it's not crazy, I dont think I'll go more than at most 2 or 3 more fish, just because I don't feel like overhauling my filtration just to add more atm, I'm happy with the way it's running so why change lol.

do you have specific fish in mind? If so what are they?

with the state of your tank I have a feeling the fish you have in mind will do just fine in your tank

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have specific fish in mind? If so what are they?

with the state of your tank I have a feeling the fish you have in mind will do just fine in your tank
I hadn't really narrowed it down, at first I'd thought about chromis, but I've kind of moved off of that, I was thinking maybe an orchid dottyback and a midas blenny, and then cap it off there. Don't know though, does that sound okay for my tank?

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sure. Your tank is doing well. Your proud of your accomplishments. Life is good. But... Well there are no buts. Congrats! Tank looks great. There will absolutely be challenges in your future, but for now, enjoy the fruits of your labor. Tank looks awesome. You should be proud.
Thank you so much! :D

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your awesome tank and stability. How old is your set up? I recently felt similar with my tank. The numbers finally seemed to be stabilizing on my 6 month tank and corals and fish are striving. I know I still have quite a journey to real tank maturity though.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't really narrowed it down, at first I'd thought about chromis, but I've kind of moved off of that, I was thinking maybe an orchid dottyback and a midas blenny, and then cap it off there. Don't know though, does that sound okay for my tank?

Sounds like it’d be fine. As long as they’ve got some hiding places and room to have their own territory, should be fine. And I’m saying that after seeing your rock work which provides all of that.

only two things I’d highlight. Both dottybacks and blennies are jumpers. I’m sure you have a lid, but yeah. Also, might not be an issue, but there is a small chance the dottyback and/or blenny would be aggressive to the other due to similar body shape. That said, just introduce them at the same time and keep an eye on them and you should be fine.

also, good choice. I freaking love midas blennies. Planning on having one in my 120g

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your awesome tank and stability. How old is your set up? I recently felt similar with my tank. The numbers finally seemed to be stabilizing on my 6 month tank and corals and fish are striving. I know I still have quite a journey to real tank maturity though.
Thank you! It's just over a year I believe. Somewhere around there lol. Good job btw on your tank the first 6 months are definitely the hardest.

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it’d be fine. As long as they’ve got some hiding places and room to have their own territory, should be fine. And I’m saying that after seeing your rock work which provides all of that.

only two things I’d highlight. Both dottybacks and blennies are jumpers. I’m sure you have a lid, but yeah. Also, might not be an issue, but there is a small chance the dottyback and/or blenny would be aggressive to the other due to similar body shape. That said, just introduce them at the same time and keep an eye on them and you should be fine.

also, good choice. I freaking love midas blennies. Planning on having one in my 120g
That's good to know, Ill definitely keep all of that in mind for whenever I add them. And yeah I have a lid with fine mesh. If they get through that I've got much larger problems lol. Midas blennies are one of my favorite fish that Ive never been able to keep, and now that I've kind of advanced in the hobby I finally feel like I can handle a larger load of livestock.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It's just over a year I believe. Somewhere around there lol. Good job btw on your tank the first 6 months are definitely the hardest.
I still got some small issues but feels like I'm at 2nd base finally. Are you doing weekly water changes? Any dosing?

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dosing for me, just weekly changes and the occasional bacteria supplement. I don't actually know if it does anything but I've used it every once in a while and it seems to help so I don't want to change it if it's working lol.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also had a question about what heat you guys keep your tanks at because I keep mine at 79.5 which is high but it works. Any input is welcome just wanna hear some other opinions
Mine ranges from 78-80... I don't WANT it at 80 but it gets a little warm where the tank is in the summer. So far all is ok.

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ranges from 78-80... I don't WANT it at 80 but it gets a little warm where the tank is in the summer. So far all is ok.
Interesting, have you ever used fans to keep it lower? I'm trying to learn more about tank fans I've always thought they were a bit extreme but I've never actually spoken to someone who's used them

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back