Very Large tanks what to do for pumps ?

randyadammartin

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2020
Messages
146
Reaction score
36
Location
campbell
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never owned a very large aquarium 300g to be exact. I really rather not get a large external iwaki (Japanese spec of course). What are folks doing to supply these huge tanks with a proper dc return pump? Do I just have to for instance run a few vectra L2 or varios 8 and y and t them together? If I did if one wasn’t on it would back flow into the one not running so that would necessitate a swig valve on EACH pump

Tanks already drilled on the bottom for 4 returns around the tank , 1 1/2 in size.


What do I do here ?
 
I’ve never owned a very large aquarium 300g to be exact. I really rather not get a large external iwaki (Japanese spec of course). What are folks doing to supply these huge tanks with a proper dc return pump? Do I just have to for instance run a few vectra L2 or varios 8 and y and t them together? If I did if one wasn’t on it would back flow into the one not running so that would necessitate a swig valve on EACH pump

Tanks already drilled on the bottom for 4 returns around the tank , 1 1/2 in size.


What do I do here ?
I run 2 pumps on my 220 gal - one is a vectra, the other a neptune cor20.
Both pumps only run at about 40% capacity, so i imagine 2 on a 300gal would be more than enough?
 
It sounds like those 4 holes on the bottom are meant for closed loop? I have a 300 gallon sps tank and I run 1 Vectra L2. It would also depend on your drain size. What's your overflow spec?
 
It sounds like those 4 holes on the bottom are meant for closed loop? I have a 300 gallon sps tank and I run 1 Vectra L2. It would also depend on your drain size. What's your overflow spec?
Depends on how your setting it up
Mine is dual overflows with 3 holes in each - i set these up as Bean Animals, so main and secondary siphon, then emergency.
Then i ran my returns through the centre of the tank over the back.

Sounds like your's with 4 holes would be set as a single return + bean animal? Hard to say without seeing any pictures.
 
Check out my build thread. I have an 96x36 peninsula, zero power heads. Display has 3 closed loops (Abyzz A400 and 2 L2s). The sump has 3 returns (2 L2s and a L1). There are 22 RFGs in the tank. I’m shooting for the washing machine effect with no power heads. Water tests have been positive. I’m doing tank transfers this weekend.
 
It sounds like those 4 holes on the bottom are meant for closed loop? I have a 300 gallon sps tank and I run 1 Vectra L2. It would also depend on your drain size. What's your overflow spec?

Hello,

You are correct in that the tank was previously drilled and used as a close loop system.

The Tank is a peninsula

L: 60”
W: 36”
H:25”

On the 36” side will be a custom internal overflow. This will cover the 4 holes drilled from the bottom. Hole layout


IMG_3568.jpeg
 
I should mention I have an ecotech M2 vectra and reef octopus varios 8 at my disposal. Could these be enough flow for the tank?
 
I'll be running two Sicce Syncra 9.0's (800 to 2500GPH) for returns in a 203g. I like redundancy here just in case one goes bad and shuts down. Mine will be dialed down pretty well. Just plan for a turnover of something like 6x total and if one goes down and shuts off, you're still at 3x, which is JUST fine.
 
Last edited:
Jebao dcp 15000 in my WB 330.7 with 285g total volume.
Jebao all the way! Im rocking (2) 13000's and its so much power I'm adding "extra" manifold outlets to try new things. For the price of buying red dragons or abyzz or any of that you can buy 7 jebaos and a 3 day vacation.
 
I run Octo Varios 10… my sump is in the basement , it pumps to my 210 gallon upstairs in the living room just fine. So should work for your application.
 
Two Red Dragon 3 100w/h return pumps on my 1900 liter reef, each running at about 50%. That way when one is off for maintenance I just ramp the other up to 100% to maintain the same circulation.

How are you preventing back flow when a return pump goes offline? … or do you have pumps tied to only one specific return ?
 
Two COR 20's on my 500 gallon for returns. Four Tunze 6255's Eco on sea sweeps for flow.
awesome — those sea sweeps are cool. I almost went that way but went with 4 MP60s instead for the look. lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new