Very new and lucky to the hobby

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you currently use and have seen success with? Anything good for a starter?

I currently have four AI Hydra Twenty Six HD's on my tank. They are not the best of the best, but they are up there in quality and performance.

You may want to stick to sites that specialize in saltwater reef gear like Bulk Reef Supply, Marine Depot and SaltwaterAquiriums.Com for good lighting options. I personally bought most of my gear from Bulk Reef Supply and they mostly carry the top brands, but each brand seems to have lower cost options as well as their high end gear if you're on a budget.

Bulk Reef Supply also has some extremely educational videos and product reviews that you may want to check out. They may even have videos about Anemones and requirements for keeping them and suggestions on lighting.

Last edited:

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling my tank and i purchased the Kessil A360X light. My last 17 gallon tank I had a Kessil A150W back in 2012. They cost a boat load, but will provide the lighting needs I'm looking for. Also, they use very little electricity so you will save on that in the long run. If you look around the market place, you can probably find some used lights for around $200. Kessil's as well.

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be using it on a 65 gallon setup so the tank is kind of deep will these lights work fine for that?

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say these lights, are you referring to the Kessil's i mentioned, or the ones you purchased? Regarding your lights, I'm not too familiar with them so I'm not sure I can comment. Honestly though, I doubt that they would be strong enough to give you good PAR.

I'm going to have a mixed reef, with minimal SPS (which require more light). So for my needs of having LPS mostly the A360X will provide enough PAR for my Nuvo 40 Gallon tank (according to some of the A360X video's that have been done here on reef2reef).

I have yet to set it all up though, as my tank is cycling.

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if any of these lights would be good to penetrate 24inchs and give enough light still

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I cant comment about your lights because I don't know. But there is enough PAR in the A360X to penetrate and provide sufficient PAR. Some lights like the kessil also have the narrow filter that helps penetrate light further. The video below helped me understand if the light was good for me or not. It's long but very beneficial.

Also, for me, lighting is huge. I have already spent so much $$ on putting together this system, its important that I get that beautiful blue shimmer and ability to watch my tank in that amazing violet color. I also want use the different color spectrums and do sunrise/sunset. These are MY preferences so this light fit my needs. Your needs can be totally different, but I figure if I have amazing coral/fish I want them to POP!

The A360X is just the newest model, the A360W have similar features (not all the same) and can be purchased used for around $200 I've seen on this forum.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...n-the-kessil-a360x-brstv-investigates.529153/

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the current USA orbit marine work?

I did quite a bit of research, (several years worth) before actually starting my first saltwater tank. At one point I was planning on getting an Anemone right off the bat, until I saw that a majority of sites recommended waiting until your tank is mature enough and I stopped researching it. I do remember finding information on specific lighting requirements and trying to match the lights to them and the Current Orbit LED's were OK in the top portions of the tank, but did not meet the requirements in the lower portions. I believe there was even a few threads on here, (or maybe it was one of the other reef forums) specifically talking about Current Orbit and Anemones. Try searching on Current and Anemones and see what you get.

Again, I do not have an Anemone and cannot speak about them with any actual experience. I wish I could help out more, but all I know is what I have read and heard from others so I am hesitant to offer advice in an attempt to avoid giving you wrong or bad information. I wish I could help more. :(

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m wondering if there are any light strips that could work like if I got a 460nm actinic blue strip and a 12k white led
Plug both of those into a gosund smart plug and set up a light schedule that way ( what I currently for my light set up for timer)

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2b9ce5b8a78be586f600f0cf436d1506.jpg

Tank is thriving added some new corals hoping thelly open up by tomorrow morning

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2b9ce5b8a78be586f600f0cf436d1506.jpg

Tank is thriving added some new corals hoping thelly open up by tomorrow morning
Which of the corals are new? Just the rbta and green sps?

You should create your own build thread so we can follow the progress.

Ps looks like you have a case of digitate hydroids Candellabrum sp.

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which of the corals are new? Just the rbta and green sps?

You should create your own build thread so we can follow the progress.

Ps looks like you have a case of digitate hydroids Candellabrum sp.

I think that was my gorgonian shedding. Fed my corals and forgot to turn the flow back on for the night.
I added a duncan colony, torch colony, frogspawn colony, bubble coral, rbta, and first sps

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ed318b24deefff06ce1f520f2ac4b3f6.jpg

So is this filmy stuff hydroids? Because my gsp is covered in it but still opens up during the day

OP
OP
O

ourownvolition

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s been a bit and wow it’s been a ride. This is my current tank now after getting past the plastic decoration stage, better lighting, and corals a lot more corals. Fragged the frogspawn the other day and going to frag the Duncan soon.
What would be the better fit? A golden hammer or long tentacle plate coral.

A0AED616-3826-48C4-AACA-9B648CE5FDC5.jpeg DFE9A466-E644-4F07-8130-95FAC59868B9.jpeg 108A290E-098B-406B-84B8-59799016A6E0.jpeg 9CE8E922-0490-4BA9-B586-ACECFA0B938C.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4069.MOV
    8.7 MB

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back