Vibrant and cheato

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found a Vibrant treatment schedule that will keep sand clean and also let cheato grow? My tank is 73 gallon Red Sea Reefer.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found a Vibrant treatment schedule that will keep sand clean and also let cheato grow? My tank is 73 gallon Red Sea Reefer.
Every tank will be different so it is hard to say. My sand doesn't get too bad in between the every 2 week dosing. If your sand is getting dirtier faster, you have more nutrients total than I do.

I would start dosing the Vibrant once every 9 or 10 days and see if that improves the sand without hurting the Chaeto. Unless you see the chaeto suffering, let it go for a few weeks and then start making small changes.

OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank will be different so it is hard to say. My sand doesn't get too bad in between the every 2 week dosing. If your sand is getting dirtier faster, you have more nutrients total than I do.

I would start dosing the Vibrant once every 9 or 10 days and see if that improves the sand without hurting the Chaeto. Unless you see the chaeto suffering, let it go for a few weeks and then start making small changes.
Thanks. Hate to think it's one or the other for choices.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Hate to think it's one or the other for choices.
Its not, but it isn't exactly simple and I know better than to think what works for me will work for everyone.

What I can tell you is that it seems to attack algae sequentially. If what you are getting on your sand bed is easier to kill than chaeto it will target that and have limited impact on your chaeto even if you use Vibrant 2 times a week. Unfortunately, this is something you will need to play with to see how things react in your system.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant works great for what it does, but it does harm chaeto, and the harm can last for quite some time.
I used it, not knowing about the chaeto issue. It killed 90% of the chaeto, and what was left was very sickly. Post Vibrant, the chaeto didn’t grow and was yellowish and very fragile. It then came back to normal, a full 2 MONTHS after I stopped dosing Vibrant.

If I really needed to use Vibrant in the future, I would take my chaeto out of the tank and but it in a bucket with a grow light. And after I’m done with dosing the stuff, put it back in after a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not, but it isn't exactly simple and I know better than to think what works for me will work for everyone.

What I can tell you is that it seems to attack algae sequentially. If what you are getting on your sand bed is easier to kill than chaeto it will target that and have limited impact on your chaeto even if you use Vibrant 2 times a week. Unfortunately, this is something you will need to play with to see how things react in your system.
Had a bubble algae problem so dosed heavily with Vibrant. Chato all but gone. Haven't found a good source that doesn't charge a small fortune like L.A. because of shipping. Any suggestions? Algae Barn also expensive.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a bubble algae problem so dosed heavily with Vibrant. Chato all but gone. Haven't found a good source that doesn't charge a small fortune like L.A. because of shipping. Any suggestions? Algae Barn also expensive.
I would try and find a local reefer. I know that when I had my original chaeto wiped out by Vibrant I had to order it a few times. Very pricey. Which is silly considering how many people (including me now) throw away clumps of the stuff every month.
My LFS used to carry it on occasion but I think they got burned by a hitchhiker and now take no livestock back at all.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also keep this in mind....

I had a similar experience. You will want to wait a month or so after cutting back on the Vibrant before you try adding more.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you folks think that it works (that is, what kills the algae)?
Randy,
Got to be something in the bacteria's.
It has been knocking out my bubble algae, but proceed with caution.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you folks think that it works (that is, what kills the algae)?

Vibrant Ingredients -

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar
3.5% RO/DI Water

Is this not just a way to starve the algae of nutrients.?

Looks like bacteria and food for the bacteria.

I wonder which strains of Bacteria are used.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been tracking the Vibrant on my build thread.
The bubble algae has been coming off in hunks. I do not carbon dose and I'd be too scared to use it with cheato.

MVIMG_20180312_170216.jpg
MVIMG_20180312_170237.jpg

When we started
0226181737b.jpg

Last night
IMG_20180317_183802.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant works great for what it does, but it does harm chaeto, and the harm can last for quite some time.
I used it, not knowing about the chaeto issue. It killed 90% of the chaeto, and what was left was very sickly. Post Vibrant, the chaeto didn’t grow and was yellowish and very fragile. It then came back to normal, a full 2 MONTHS after I stopped dosing Vibrant.

If I really needed to use Vibrant in the future, I would take my chaeto out of the tank and but it in a bucket with a grow light. And after I’m done with dosing the stuff, put it back in after a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the information.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been tracking the Vibrant on my build thread.
The bubble algae has been coming off in hunks. I do not carbon dose and I'd be too scared to use it with cheato.

MVIMG_20180312_170216.jpg
MVIMG_20180312_170237.jpg

When we started
0226181737b.jpg

Last night
IMG_20180317_183802.jpg

Hi, but I thought Vibrant is a form of carbon dosing along with the bacteria?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to take a guess, it is that it is a combination of bacillus bacteria which consume decaying matter to drive down nitrates and a strain I can't find the name of that consumes chlorophyll.

See page 10 for the quick and dirty.
http://www.mbl.edu/microbialdiversity/files/2012/08/mdiv2010Jaekel.pdf

But, this is just a wild guess on my part.
Brew,
I've been lucky and my nitrates have been holding at .7ppm, but I don't carbon dose either.
At this point, no signs of cyano.

I've never payed much attention to the Vibrant thread, just wanted to test it myself.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not carbon dosing, although that seems to be a common misconception. It only has a small amount of vinegar which is most likely there for keeping the bacteria alive.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe with the tad of vinegar that it has, but my nitrates have stayed the same.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew,
I've been lucky and my nitrates have been holding at .7ppm, but I don't carbon dose either.
At this point, no signs of cyano.

I've never payed much attention to the Vibrant thread, just wanted to test it myself.
I'm a huge fan of the stuff, obviously. It seems like a very unique product in that it often causes people problems because it is too effective in some cases.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back