Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK
here are 3 photos
1st (2359) is a bit overexposed but shows the algae in all its "glory"
2nd a bit more flattering to the corals but algae a bit under.
3rd done with a flash - most flattering to the corals.
DSC_2359[1].JPG
DSC_2359[1].JPG
DSC_2359[1].JPG
DSC_2360[1].JPG
DSC_2361[1].JPG
I'm not seeing anything I would identify as bryopsis. It may be the shortest turf algae I have ever seen. This isn't from my tank, but I thought this was about as short as it gets. Then again, turf algae doesn't really mean anything, more of a hobbyist term.
upload_2018-3-21_14-45-13.png

If you don't mind it, and it isn't hurting the corals, I wouldn't worry about it.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing anything I would identify as bryopsis. It may be the shortest turf algae I have ever seen. This isn't from my tank, but I thought this was about as short as it gets. Then again, turf algae doesn't really mean anything, more of a hobbyist term.
upload_2018-3-21_14-45-13.png

If you don't mind it, and it isn't hurting the corals, I wouldn't worry about it.
Exactly my sentiments.
Still, I felt that if I dosed Vibrant long enough it would "clean" things up a bit.
Waste of time

THX1138CY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind vibrant will kill off the food source for copepods, breaking there life cycle, and will take you months to recover. Other than that it works great. I stopped using it due to using other/natural controls to keep the algae in check.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind vibrant will kill off the food source for copepods, breaking there life cycle, and will take you months to recover. Other than that it works great. I stopped using it due to using other/natural controls to keep the algae in check.
Thanks for the info
I was unaware of that.
That's another thing that is left out of the advertising for the product

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info
I was unaware of that.
That's another thing that is left out of the advertising for the product

Used as intended, Vibrant doesn't kill pods directly. When I first started using it I saw my pod population skyrocket, along with bristleworms. I still use Vibrant every other week and have plenty of pods. So yes, if you strip your system clean using any method you won't have pods. When I first started this hobby I killed every coral I had along with my pods by running GFO. I wouldn't expect producers of GFO to advertise that their product can kill pods or coral.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used as intended, Vibrant doesn't kill pods directly. When I first started using it I saw my pod population skyrocket, along with bristleworms. I still use Vibrant every other week and have plenty of pods. So yes, if you strip your system clean using any method you won't have pods. When I first started this hobby I killed every coral I had along with my pods by running GFO. I wouldn't expect producers of GFO to advertise that their product can kill pods or coral.
Actually they do advise; at least indirectly.
They do warn that if your nutrients are very high to adjust lighting as use of the GFO could be a shock to the corals.
The makers of the Vibrant product, however, indicated it only impacted micro algae.
BTW I hadn't used Vibrant for awhile. The reason being, I had a Coco worm which would retract in its tube, for days, if I placed more than a single drop in the tank.
When I advised the makers of Vibrant, they were unaware.
Now that the worm is gone I tried using it again to remove the micro algae.
It failed for me and I won't be using it again.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually they do advise; at least indirectly.
They do warn that if your nutrients are very high to adjust lighting as use of the GFO could be a shock to the corals.
The makers of the Vibrant product, however, indicated it only impacted micro algae.
BTW I hadn't used Vibrant for awhile. The reason being, I had a Coco worm which would retract in its tube, for days, if I placed more than a single drop in the tank.
When I advised the makers of Vibrant, they were unaware.
Now that the worm is gone I tried using it again to remove the micro algae.
It failed for me and I won't be using it again.
I've never seen UWC claim that it only impacts micro algae. Most people use it to treat macro algae such as hair and bubble algaes. Any algicide can cause the loss of anything that feeds on that algae if used long enough.

It seems obvious that Vibrant is not an appropriate product for your system and I'm not trying to convince you to use it. Any time we add something to our tank we expose ourselves to a risk. If an issue is minor then the risk isn't worth it. Even if you had a major algae issue, this still wouldn't be good for you.

Reefs are a very complex biological system and each system is unique. With situations like yours, I think of Chemiclean. The vast majority of people can use Chemiclean with no issues. Every once in awhile someone will use chemiclean per the directions and completely wipe out their tank, coral and fish. Why? No one knows for sure but the thought is that these systems must have something in them that triggers a toxin release when exposed to chemiclean. Another good example is with coral foods. I know some people that love Reef Roids. I know other people that can't put it in their tanks without having a massive cyano outbreak. Why? Who knows. The biology of the tanks is just different enough to make it cause problems.

Your coco worm is a good example of this. Does Vibrant hurt them? No. Could it be interacting with something in your tank that could hurt them? Absolutely. And odds are the Coco worm is acting as an early warning system that it releasing something into the water that is also negatively impacting other tank inhabitants. If I had seen an unexpected reaction such as this I don't think I would have made another attempt with the product.

Why am I confident that Vibrant doen't harm them directly? This is a picture taken this past weekend in my tank. I added my every other week dose of Vibrant that morning and took this picture just before noon. But again, just because it doesn't harm them directly doesn't mean I'm saying that it isn't the trigger causing harm in your system
DSC_0013.JPG

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen UWC claim that it only impacts micro algae. Most people use it to treat macro algae such as hair and bubble algaes. Any algicide can cause the loss of anything that feeds on that algae if used long enough.

It seems obvious that Vibrant is not an appropriate product for your system and I'm not trying to convince you to use it. Any time we add something to our tank we expose ourselves to a risk. If an issue is minor then the risk isn't worth it. Even if you had a major algae issue, this still wouldn't be good for you.

Reefs are a very complex biological system and each system is unique. With situations like yours, I think of Chemiclean. The vast majority of people can use Chemiclean with no issues. Every once in awhile someone will use chemiclean per the directions and completely wipe out their tank, coral and fish. Why? No one knows for sure but the thought is that these systems must have something in them that triggers a toxin release when exposed to chemiclean. Another good example is with coral foods. I know some people that love Reef Roids. I know other people that can't put it in their tanks without having a massive cyano outbreak. Why? Who knows. The biology of the tanks is just different enough to make it cause problems.

Your coco worm is a good example of this. Does Vibrant hurt them? No. Could it be interacting with something in your tank that could hurt them? Absolutely. And odds are the Coco worm is acting as an early warning system that it releasing something into the water that is also negatively impacting other tank inhabitants. If I had seen an unexpected reaction such as this I don't think I would have made another attempt with the product.

Why am I confident that Vibrant doen't harm them directly? This is a picture taken this past weekend in my tank. I added my every other week dose of Vibrant that morning and took this picture just before noon. But again, just because it doesn't harm them directly doesn't mean I'm saying that it isn't the trigger causing harm in your system
DSC_0013.JPG
BTW Chemiclean while not wiping out my tank never did it any good.
Funny you should mention Reef Roids. I only started using it a few months ago and I can definitely say it's the only "coral" food I've ever used for which most of my corals have shown definite growth.
Trying to limit its use (too much of a good thing) as I have limited real estate.
But I digress...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW Chemiclean while not wiping out my tank never did it any good.
Funny you should mention Reef Roids. I only started using it a few months ago and I can definitely say it's the only "coral" food I've ever used for which most of my corals have shown definite growth.
Trying to limit its use (too much of a good thing) as I have limited real estate.
But I digress...
You sir have an interesting system!

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone tried Vibrant for Reef? Does it kill SPS?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone tried Vibrant for Reef? Does it kill SPS?
Vibrant does not kill SPS. Just make sure you continue to monitor your nutrients if you intend to use it.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a old thread here I have been trying to find out can I run active carbon while using vibrant ?? Thank you.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a old thread here I have been trying to find out can I run active carbon while using vibrant ?? Thank you.

Yup been running vibrant for a few months all while running GAC(BRS ROX), and have seen no issue with running both.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you folks think that it works (that is, what kills the algae)?

Wondered about this myself.

The BOD of tank water spiked with recommended dose of Vibrant is small compared to WasteAway. Seems like waste consumption is not Vibrant’s main mode of action.

Higher than recommended doses of Vibrant causes a precipitate to form in PO4 test (Hanna Checker) and in Hanna O2 test. This precipitate interferes with the former but dissolves during titration in the latter.

These observations lead me to wonder whether Vibrant‘s mode of action is chemical In nature. I wonder if it also harms phytoplankton.

Nevets9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing Vibrant last month once a week to help rid of some green hair algae. I also culture phyto and dose once a day. Is dosing these two things together counterintuitive?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back