Vibrant and Macroalgae - Poll

How long after last Vibrant dose should you wait until re-introducing macroalgae?

• Immediately

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A few days

• One week

• Two weeks

• Longer than one month

• Total voters

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us with refugiums and macroalgae use Vibrant occasionally to tackle a troublesome nuisance algae outbreak. You're supposed to take your macroalgae out before you dose Vibrant. However, it's unclear (at least to me) how long after last Vibrant dose you can put the macroalgae back in your refugium. Let's do a poll to find out people's recommendations. Please also include comments about success/failure with re-introducing macroalgae. I know there are many confounding factors to consider here, but let's say that there's no big water change after last dose of Vibrant and before putting the macroalgae back in. This will help make things more relevant for people with non-small tanks. Thanks for participating in my first attempt at a poll!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are numerous anecdotal reports saying everything from 'it didn't harm my macro algae' to it killed all my macro algae. I think it depends on what type of macro algae you have, and adding back, as well as what you're trying to kill. I would suggest emailing Vibrant - their Email is on their website - where they recommend asking 'any questions'.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cluster of gracilaria that I wasn't concerned about loosing so I left it in while using Vibrant to see what happened to it. It was unphased even at large daily dosing (3ml/10g) in an attempt to eradicate LC Ampidinium. (which worked, btw)

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cluster of gracilaria that I wasn't concerned about loosing so I left it in while using Vibrant to see what happened to it. It was unphased even at large daily dosing (3ml/10g) in an attempt to eradicate LC Ampidinium. (which worked, btw)
Interesting. Amphidium is exactly the reason I decided to use Vibrant this time. I just dosed it a couple days ago, so I haven't seen results yet. It worked for you???

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize to OP for the off topic - It did work but I dosed it every day for 5 days and also used 3 times the normal dose. I'm not sure what the minimum dose is that's needed but I believe doing it daily was the key. The Vibrant knocked it down and kept it down until I could restore some bio balance. It's been about a month and has yet to return. I posted the whole story in the "Are you tired of fighting Dinoflagelllates" thread.

On topic - I had no visible effects on macro algae (red & brown gracillaria), inverts, LPS, SPS, or anything else that I noticed.

*Edit: I just noticed you are the OP. Doh! lol

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be the only one that's tried it. I didn't have a lot to lose when I did it so I went for it, not that any of our sea creatures are expendable. From other anecdotal reports there may be a risk to certain inhabitants (cheato seems to be #1, it is algae) although I personally had no adverse effects. Supposedly it's just bacteria, vinegar & water. I hope it all goes well for you too. Good luck!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back