Vibrant freaking me out..

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered some vibrant after having an algae out break.. I did my first dose last night. I have a 70 gallon tank plus a 20 gallon or so sump. So I dosed 7ML. Today my pearl berry acro was completely bleached out, my Garf Bonsai tips look like they are starting to lose skin, and my oragon blue tort looks like its getting a bit light on the body as well.. This is absolutely freaking me out because even though they are smaller frags they were really settling in nicely and looking great.. Any other sps people have this issue with vibrant??

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered some vibrant after having an algae out break.. I did my first dose last night. I have a 70 gallon tank plus a 20 gallon or so sump. So I dosed 7ML. Today my pearl berry acro was completely bleached out, my Garf Bonsai tips look like they are starting to lose skin, and my oragon blue tort looks like its getting a bit light on the body as well.. This is absolutely freaking me out because even though they are smaller frags they were really settling in nicely and looking great.. Any other sps people have this issue with vibrant??
Do you mean vibrance? Aquavitro?

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean vibrance? Aquavitro?

No, Vibrant

08720a8a072bcd5d687a34033f7ff202.jpg

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it twice and felt it did more harm than good. Sometimes better to let nature take its course and handle algae naturally.

Ya, I feel dumb for even attempting it.. All my sps were really coming into there own.. But I have Dino’s as well as other algae issues.. So the Dino’s were killing my snails which meant no clean up crew to eat the algae until I got rid of the Dino’s. Other then 2 large Mexican turbos I have had in the tank since I started it up a bit over a year ago.. They seem to be immune to it or something but they can’t handle all of it..

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where were your nutrient before using it and now? It will use up a lot of nutrient and compete with the algae. Your acros possibly are sensitive to sudden nutrient change.

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where were your nutrient before using it and now? It will use up a lot of nutrient and compete with the algae. Your acros possibly are sensitive to sudden nutrient change.

Well, funny you mention that. I have issues keeping my nutrients up. I have to dose N03 and sometimes PO4. I dose NO3 everyday at 10ML. So I tested my nutrients before I dosed to see how it affects it. PO4 I was at .03ppm and NO3 I was at around 4ppm. I won’t be able to re test to see where there at now until the kids are in bed.. I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old. And they are to crazy to give me 10mins to do a couple of tests.. [emoji849]

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, funny you mention that. I have issues keeping my nutrients up. I have to dose N03 and sometimes PO4. I dose NO3 everyday at 10ML. So I tested my nutrients before I dosed to see how it affects it. PO4 I was at .03ppm and NO3 I was at around 4ppm. I won’t be able to re test to see where there at now until the kids are in bed.. I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old. And they are to crazy to give me 10mins to do a couple of tests.. [emoji849]
Vibrant compete for nutrient with algae and thats how it works. If you already have low nutrient then it will suck up the rest of the available one and your acros will take the first hit. Where does your Alkalinity sits and what light you use?

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant compete for nutrient with algae and thats how it works. If you already have low nutrient then it will suck up the rest of the available one and your acros will take the first hit. Where does your Alkalinity sits and what light you use?

Alk has been steady at 8.4 DHK. Lights are a 6 bulb ATI (4 blue+, 1 coral+, 1 purple+) along with 2 reefbrite xho (all blues).

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alk has been steady at 8.4 DHK. Lights are a 6 bulb ATI (4 blue+, 1 coral+, 1 purple+) along with 2 reefbrite xho (all blues).
Lower your light intensity or lower your alk. High alk with high light doesnt go well with low nutrient levels. Acros are quite sensitive to these.

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower your light intensity or lower your alk. High alk with high light doesnt go well with low nutrient levels. Acros are quite sensitive to these.

Cool, maybe I’ll turn off a bank of lights. But I thought I was already at the lower end as far as Alk??

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had the same issue with vibrant didnt have luck with it :/ stopped using it and used a tooth brush and siphon when ever i had the chance

Ya, I’m going to do a water change tomorrow and just keep manually pulling out what I can until something gives..

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the one dose took care of some of the Dino’s so I can keep some snails alive.. [emoji849]

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool, maybe I’ll turn off a bank of lights. But I thought I was already at the lower end as far as Alk??
Lower alk is 7-8dkH..:D
Actually its a combination of all 3 of those. Light alk and nutrient.

Lloyd Williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vibrant can cause issues like cyano. When I’ve used it I also dosed peroxide. And a couple months after I stopped I also dosed peroxide. If you choose to use it go HALF the recommended dose.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of Vibrant and have been using it for 2 years now. Having said that, it's like any other product made for reefing. Not every tank is going to respond the same way. Just because it works for a lot of people does not mean it won't cause problems in your system. I once recommended a reefer to dose 1ml/10g of H2O2 into their system. Most people would consider that a very safe dose. It almost wiped their tank. Turns out they had a heavy metal issue that made adding H2O2 dangerous for them.
Algae pulls a lot more out of your system than just nutrients. It can also concentrate impurities and contaminants. I always recommend running GAC when using Vibrant just to be on the safe side, especially in systems with dino's. It's also important to monitor both Nitrates and Phosphates when using Vibrant. You can either dose them to keep them up or use coral foods if they get low. Since Vibrant doesn't rely on nutrient reduction, this won't have any impact on its effectiveness.
If you were running carbon and didn't bottom out your nutrients I definitely wouldn't consider using Vibrant any longer. Dino's can be a challenge, especially when they are as toxic as yours appear to be, but time and stability can do wonders for a system. Eventually they should clear up on their own as other organisms in your system grow.
Getting away from Vibrant, do you run a refugium or algae turf scrubber?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back