Victoria Music's Custom 180 Rebuild

U

User1

View Badges
Yes, I am concerned. I turned the refugium light on ATC for now. However I do need some algae growth for my algae eaters, the kole tang and the starry blenny. It is a catch 22. I have read that 2-3 ppb is a good place for phos to be. What to do, what to do. I will probably use a tad of gfo to bring it down to 3. I just have to work to tomorrow, then it is Christmas, then I work again. So, it will just have to sit tight for a day or two.

Always a balance, right? I personally don't measure it much to be honest and try to let the tank guide me. Like you with a couple algae eaters in the tank some of which don't have a chance to get the Nori must have some source of algae. I guess at the end of the day is how much time does it take to react and turn something on to control it if something does happen.

Have a good day at work and hope you get to send more home than you admit!

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a balance, right? I personally don't measure it much to be honest and try to let the tank guide me. Like you with a couple algae eaters in the tank some of which don't have a chance to get the Nori must have some source of algae. I guess at the end of the day is how much time does it take to react and turn something on to control it if something does happen.

Have a good day at work and hope you get to send more home than you admit!
I used to always let the tank guide me too. But it guided me to neomeris anulata! And some hair algae, and then dinos! LOL! So I am gonna try keeping a good eye on these values. I am not gonna chase numbers. But I am gonna be aware of them and keep a goal in mind. Especially right now with a barren rockscape. It is vulnerable to pest algaes.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that 2-3 ppb is a good place for phos to be.
That is extremely low for a goal. With a Hanna ULR checker, it may not be a good target. I wouldn't advise setting a goal that low due to the accuracy of the test device. While it is very unlikely to be 10ppb off, it is reasonable to expect it to be 2 to 3ppb off meaning you could read 3ppb and actually have no phosphates.
upload_2018-12-24_15-8-19.png

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is extremely low for a goal. With a Hanna ULR checker, it may not be a good target. I wouldn't advise setting a goal that low due to the accuracy of the test device. While it is very unlikely to be 10ppb off, it is reasonable to expect it to be 2 to 3ppb off meaning you could read 3ppb and actually have no phosphates.
upload_2018-12-24_15-8-19.png
20-30. Ugh! That is what I have read.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20-30. Ugh! That is what I have read.
Well, you can try to maintain whatever level you want. Just remember that your reading could be 10ppb off in either direction. Personally, I feel PO4 is fine as long as it isn't 0ppm and less than 0.08ppm (26ppb). So, I like finding a target in the middle due to the instrument accuracy.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you can try to maintain whatever level you want. Just remember that your reading could be 10ppb off in either direction. Personally, I feel PO4 is fine as long as it isn't 0ppm and less than 0.08ppm (26ppb). So, I like finding a target in the middle due to the instrument accuracy.
Yes, that is my current thinking, also. I was very "oh well, it is a softy tank" before. You have to remember when I started you wanted 0 phos and 0 nitrate. Live and learn. I am not going to be so willie nillie this time, however. I got my Hannah ULR October 2017 and never really used it on the temporary tank. I want to be much more aware of phos and nitrate on this new set up. And between 20 and 30 lands me in a pretty good zone.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ate? Didn't know urchins did that sort of thing to corals. Algae I understand but first I've heard of that. What kind? I was actually going to pick one up but I'll pass. Sorry for the loss.
Our tuxedo urchin never did that.

Back