OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up, attention to detail, and thanks for sharing :) Wish I had room for water storage and change access like you do. Right now mine are in a pair of 44 gallon brut containers, food grade, that I roll around. I like the stations like you have. One thing I have done though is add smart plugs for the pumps out in the garage. That way I can be in my den where the tank is, turn on Amazon's dot, roll the hose to the tank, and then say Alexia power on new tank water, and it starts going. I don't have to deal with a valve or anything else easy enough for one person. That is, of course, if Alexia decides to play or not....another story. Same for mixing station. I just say Alexia mixing pump, and that starts or stops. Other than that, nothing fancy although on my to-do list.

Thanks again - enjoyed the read.
Thank you for the lovely compliments, and for taking the time to share your experience. I enjoy reading what others are doing with their tanks too.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to read the phos in my rock barrel today and I kept getting a low light error. I think it can not read RODI water. The rocks are now soaking in saltwater.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first water on the floor event. All the failsafes I have and it still happened! I emptied the DT of fresh water using my awesome drain system. However, a rag was in my utility sink and blocked the water. The water must have overflowed from the sink slow enough that it formed a creek right thru the fishroom to the basement and created a pond in the basement , but then the creek dried up. There was no sign of where the water came from. Just a basement pond.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first water on the floor event. All the failsafes I have and it still happened! I emptied the DT of fresh water using my awesome drain system. However, a rag was in my utility sink and blocked the water. The water must have overflowed from the sink slow enough that it formed a creek right thru the fishroom to the basement and created a pond in the basement , but then the creek dried up. There was no sign of where the water came from. Just a basement pond.

Oh no! I hope it was tile and not carpet.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! I hope it was tile and not carpet.
no, thank goodness. It is a kinda cool rough industrial kinda finish. The floor was ground with diamond plates and stained and clear coated, a wall was build to finish and enclose the fish stuff and utility stuff, and the ceiling painted flat black. durable and cool looking.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been so long since I made progress on my tank. I am waiting for my husband to buff the inside of my front viewing panel. When it is empty you can see swirls and scratches from when he buffed it out several months ago. I am concerned that it needs to be buffed some more or the very minor imperfections will give algae and coraline places to grow very easily.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also considering setting it up as a FOWLER tank and forgoing the expensive LR I was planning to get. Although I just want soft corals anyway, even soft corals increase your complexity when dealing with tank issues. But when you don't have stuff growing on your LR ugly stuff tries to grow there. sigh. decisions to make. as soon as I get my husband to buff my tank...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also considering setting it up as a FOWLER tank and forgoing the expensive LR I was planning to get. Although I just want soft corals anyway, even soft corals increase your complexity when dealing with tank issues. But when you don't have stuff growing on your LR ugly stuff tries to grow there. sigh. decisions to make. as soon as I get my husband to buff my tank...
Why not go with dry rock to start with? I know LR makes things go a little faster but you can be successful starting with only dry rock and sand.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not go with dry rock to start with? I know LR makes things go a little faster but you can be successful starting with only dry rock and sand.
I actually have dry rock that has been acid etched and is soaking in a brute. I may just use that. I just soooo wanted TBS LR, and have been saving for a long time for it.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However this might all come to a screeching halt for another reason. My beloved labradoodle Bella has been sick and today was diagnosed with acute liver failure. She has a poor prognosis. The vet visit and treatment was kinda expensive and I may be using my fish fund for her. The next few days will tell.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However this might all come to a screeching halt for another reason. My beloved labradoodle Bella has been sick and today was diagnosed with acute liver failure. She has a poor prognosis. The vet visit and treatment was kinda expensive and I may be using my fish fund for her. The next few days will tell.
I am so sorry to hear this. :(

I know my furry baby girls mean so much to me. I dread the day when I have to face decisions like you are with your Bella.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry to hear this. :(

I know my furry baby girls mean so much to me. I dread the day when I have to face decisions like you are with your Bella.
Thank you for the support. It really horrifying. She feels better today with the medication. That is good.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, what a week. Bella seems to be pulling through! She is eating with coaxing by my husband, keeping all her medicine and food down. Also the jaundice is improved. She is playful and loving attention too.
IMG_3298.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3311.JPG
IMG_3312.JPG
Today my husband finished my tank. He sanded out the remaining scratches at the bottom of the tank, and redid the last three steps of sanding and buffing with the last step being 12,000 micromesh over the entire view panel of my tank. It looks amazing!

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to use the magnet to clean up the scratches in the acrylic I had to fill the tank with fresh water from the hose. I completely underestimated the time it would take to fill the tank and sump and flooded the basement again. AGAIN! But this time my husband was home...
and we used my fish fund to pay for my dogs treatment. I keep telling her she is lucky I like her so much!

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphorous reading in my rock soaking water read 180 ppb so I set up a small filter with gfo. I will measure again in a few days. I also have to improve my drain to the sump situation. It sprays the wall!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back