OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having any better luck than past attempts?
Yes! Hand buffing with Novus 3,2,1 (after the DA and after the magnet method) has really worked. I sure hope it stands up to algae. Also changing out the microfiber clothes so much more frequently has helped. Everyone has put some time into it working on smaller sections and we used the post it notes to track where to work. It worked really well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a video a while back .... sleif (from RC) on Mr. SaltWater Tank maybe .... where he buffed out his tank while full with a magnet cleaner.
Yes, I watched all of Scotts videos and
I asked a few questions a year or more ago about it. As for our results...we got out deep scratches while creating many fine scratches.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am back to wondering what to do about my live rock situation. I do have 100 lbs of dry rock that has been soaking in saltwater since around Labor Day. I never tested it for cycling. Like I said earlier, phos is 34 ppb. I want most all of the back wall covered with rock, without a solid wall of rock. And I do not want the bottom of that stack to be just solid rock stacked together. I also do not want it one solid formation. I guess I just got to get it out and play around with it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am back to wondering what to do about my live rock situation. I do have 100 lbs of dry rock that has been soaking in saltwater since around Labor Day. I never tested it for cycling. Like I said earlier, phos is 34 ppb. I want most all of the back wall covered with rock, without a solid wall of rock. And I do not want the bottom of that stack to be just solid rock stacked together. I also do not want it one solid formation. I guess I just got to get it out and play around with it.
That does seem to be the next most reasonable step. Aquascaping isn't as easy as I thought it would be!

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does seem to be the next most reasonable step. Aquascaping isn't as easy as I thought it would be!
I hope the marco 400 comes quickley. Aquascaping is so much harder than it should be. We want it to look perfect! I learned to picture how a coral might sit on a certain spot, and remember the structure will be filled out with corals with a foot or so diameter. The hard part is getting my husband to picture in his head what I see in my head. Don't tell him but Many Years ago when I got tested for ADD the psychologist administering the test put me out of my misery on the part where you manually put geometric structures together...so maybe it is me. lol. He laughed and just stopped me.

iced98lx

Chris
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaping for a reef tank is difficult.

I created such interesting shapes and flow... with rock, which I then aggressively changed and removed as I realized how my coral choices were going to grow in. Being OK with the whitespace where coral will eventually be is hard.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true Chris, so true. I am going to create separate pieces on a table outside my tank and then have my husband put them in the tank. I am going to cover the inside front panel with posterboard because I learned that lesson the hard way. I have aquascaped and re-aquascaped a 75 and a 90 and I have redone the aquascape in this tank a couple times, just never with dry rock. So we were always rushed and anxious. Looking forward to this process. I am going to place the rock in the tank then lay down the sand, and then start filling the tank. It is going to be a long day.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true Chris, so true. I am going to create separate pieces on a table outside my tank and then have my husband put them in the tank. I am going to cover the inside front panel with posterboard because I learned that lesson the hard way. I have aquascaped and re-aquascaped a 75 and a 90 and I have redone the aquascape in this tank a couple times, just never with dry rock. So we were always rushed and anxious. Looking forward to this process. I am going to place the rock in the tank then lay down the sand, and then start filling the tank. It is going to be a long day.
Labor of love. Enjoy the process!

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Labor of love. Enjoy the process!
Yep. :) That is how I have gone about this whole reset. Except for how scared I was about the scratches, and how long that stalled my slow and steady progress.
I am concerned about how many bubbles the return is giving the DT. They are not skimmer sized bubbles so I am pretty sure it is that I have the return strait down into the tank without the usual elbow and that a biofilm has not formed yet in the plumbing to smooth things out. Sure hope it is not a plumbing issue.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0435.JPG

Just for laughs. This is the turd dog who has been so sick. A little dog shame improves every thread!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back