VIDEO :: Improve flow without pumps or powerheads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
We know even more now about how important flow is in reef tanks, these work and are easy, no reason to have them die off!

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Sure you can compress water, you just need a little bit of pressure.

more like a lot. even at the lowest depths of the ocean, water only compresses about 1%, and barely that. water not being compressible is the main reason water does a lot of the cool things that it does - at least in a liquid state

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
yep, probably more the difference in velocity. You would think the OP would be able to clear it up for us. All i know is what it see in my tank.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Wondering if these can be fitted to seaswirls

I don't see why not as long as the threads match. That would be pretty cool. the only issue i have with them is they produce a strong linear flow. Also you do need to use a pressure rated pump.

I don't see why not as long as the threads match. That would be pretty cool. the only issue i have with them is they produce a strong linear flow. Also you do need to use a pressure rated pump.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Nice, this is your contribution to the discussion? I though this was a friendly place, maybe you should go back to that other forum?
Apparently, you can't take a joke and are a bit tight loosen up a hit! I suggest you go back and read some of the other jokes before passing judgement on me!

Last edited:

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
We know even more now about how important flow is in reef tanks, these work and are easy, no reason to have them die off!
Yes, flow is extremely important in a reef aquarium, but there are many ways to achieve increased flow and remove dead spots and keep corals happy. Although the accelerators do have an advantage of not requiring additional power, you can reduce the diameter of the return line and create the flow that way too. Many options out there, and ways to increase flow and remove dead spots and keep corals happy. It all boils down to an depends on a hobbyist personal prefer, there is no right or wrong way to increase flow.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Oh, now it"s Comedy Central. Sorry I misunderstood. I thought we were having a serious discussion.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Oh, now it"s Comedy Central. Sorry I misunderstood. I thought we were having a serious discussion.
Don't be so quick to pass judgment on people!! Serious discussions and jokes mix! You're directing your anger towards one individual! Telling someone to go back to whatever forum they came from is in very poor taste, and you're loaded with it! You don't play nice with others! first of all, that post wasn't written to you it was written to some else don't start selectively choosing which posts you're going to read or not read, and not expect to get called out on it! If you did read all the posts you'll see I did make a contribution besides the joke just not one you liked. Whatever the problem is it's all on your end, not mine. Furthermore, if you think I'm not going to stand up for myself against a bully your dead wrong, you picked on the wrong person!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The eductor has a small opening where a narrow, but fast stream of water shoots out, through the caged area of the eductor. High speed fluids create low pressure zones, and this effectively causes large volumes of "tank" water to circulate through the eductor, driven by a comparatively small amount of "return" water.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
The eductor has a small opening where a narrow, but fast stream of water shoots out, through the caged area of the eductor. High speed fluids create low pressure zones, and this effectively causes large volumes of "tank" water to circulate through the eductor, driven by a comparatively small amount of "return" water.
I'd prefer the eductor over the accelerator personally, but one could also use the loc-line flare nozzle as well. Perhaps, the best way to ensure proper flow is when first setting up the aquarium filled with water, and Elos amino acid into the tank and see what kind of flow pattern you have and adjust accordingly. This what I generally do, test at ever stage of the set-up before adding anything into the tank. Again, it's a personal choice.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'd prefer the eductor over the accelerator personally

Because of design, bulkiness or brand name?
Im curious because I want to try a pair on my fluval sp4 (approx. 4' run that ends@two 3/4 bulkheads).

Last edited:

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Because of design, bulkiness or brand name?
Im curious because I want to try a pair on my fluval sp4 (approx. 4' run that ends@two 3/4 bulkheads).
I like the design of the eductor better than the accelerator, IMHO the water movement is better. But that's my opinion. It's really a personal preference thing just like powerheads I prefer the Vortech powerheads MP40wqd's other like the Mmaxspect gyer powerheads. Ultimately the decision rests with you. That's my feedback to your query.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello folks, thanks for watching and commenting here. When testing and filming these I found that they can definitely give you a much broader and even more turbulent flow pattern which is a benefit in my book for most any reef tank. I am no expert in fluid dynamics but here is what I understand about the way they work.

The venturi effect works to pull draw in water from inside your tank; thus increasing the amount of water that is moved in the aquarium. The velocity of the water is also increased because of the small nozzle; pressure increases and then pushes the water faster through the narrower opening.

We really value all of your opinions as hobbyists and please keep us posted on your experiences with the product!

-Robert @ MD

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello folks, thanks for watching and commenting here. When testing and filming these I found that they can definitely give you a much broader and even more turbulent flow pattern which is a benefit in my book for most any reef tank. I am no expert in fluid dynamics but here is what I understand about the way they work.

The venturi effect works to pull draw in water from inside your tank; thus increasing the amount of water that is moved in the aquarium. The velocity of the water is also increased because of the small nozzle; pressure increases and then pushes the water faster through the narrower opening.

We really value all of your opinions as hobbyists and please keep us posted on your experiences with the product!

-Robert @ MD
Just curious tested as a stand alone, or against other brands? Like the eductor?

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Just curious tested as a stand alone, or against other brands? Like the eductor?
We used them stand alone and have not compared them to any other brands. I did operate all 7 models in the same tank and connected them to the same pump; I was most impressed with the WIDE VORTEX TWIST model in terms of really creating some broad and turbulent flow in the tank.

http://mdshop.us/2fvq9HZ

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, flow is extremely important in a reef aquarium, but there are many ways to achieve increased flow and remove dead spots and keep corals happy. Although the accelerators do have an advantage of not requiring additional power, you can reduce the diameter of the return line and create the flow that way too. Many options out there, and ways to increase flow and remove dead spots and keep corals happy. It all boils down to an depends on a hobbyist personal prefer, there is no right or wrong way to increase flow.

Clearly there are many ways for flow, I didn't mean to give the impression that there were not. However with how simple these are to add, and can even be used with your suggestion of smaller return lines to increase flow even more, even these old ideas still have a place in modern tanks IMO.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Clearly there are many ways for flow, I didn't mean to give the impression that there were not. However with how simple these are to add, and can even be used with your suggestion of smaller return lines to increase flow even more, even these old ideas still have a place in modern tanks IMO.
Not a problem, your Humble opinion is appreciated. Agreed it is a simple way of increase flow as well as cost effective while eliminating dead spot or reduce them, but clearly, I'll also agree it cannot be the only option powerhead still need to be used.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
We used them stand alone and have not compared them to any other brands. I did operate all 7 models in the same tank and connected them to the same pump; I was most impressed with the WIDE VORTEX TWIST model in terms of really creating some broad and turbulent flow in the tank.

http://mdshop.us/2fvq9HZ
Hmm ... I believe I caught that Vlog on your Youtube channel it's too bad you MD can't test against other brands. That being said, I can see however it might be an issue for MD with its suppliers, For the record, I do purchase many products from MD, it's just the natural of the animal to use a competitor of yours. Not every vendor like yours can carry every product on the market whether it be on-line, brick and mortar LFS.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back