VIDEO :: Improve flow without pumps or powerheads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
The venturi effect works to pull draw in water from inside your tank; thus increasing the amount of water that is moved in the aquarium. The velocity of the water is also increased because of the small nozzle; pressure increases and then pushes the water faster through the narrower opening.
Adding a bit to this...

The Venturi effect is in use in more places in our tanks than most people realize. How many of you have a protein skimmer? If yours has a tube that comes up to pull in air, you already have a Venturi in your tank. It has been said in bits and pieces already, but I thought it would be good to have the details in one spot...

So what happens in a Venturri? Here's a picture to help:

300px-Venturifixed2.PNG

On the left (point 1), water is entering from a return pump and flows freely until it hits the narrowing in the tube (point 2). When it hits this point, it causes the pressure at point 1 to increase. Notice the little vertical tubes? They are showing the pressure differential between point 1 and point 2. The pressure is higher at point 1, so the liquid level is higher. Where get benefit is from what happens as a result.

Starting on the left...
Remember from your science classes the conservation of energy? It states that energy in equals energy out, in its simplest form. In the case of this Venturi, the pressure on the left increases, which causes a decrease in pressure on the right. The increase in pressure on the left causes a decrease in the volumetric flow rate of the water through that section. Think about this like head pressure. You get less return flow when you have more head pressure.

Looking at the right...
Since the pressure went down on the right, the water is freer to flow here so the volumetric flow rate goes up. The pressure at point 2 is lower than the pressure in the tank so the water flows in to equalize the pressure. In the case of these accelerators, they open up the sides after point 2 to allow water to get pulled in.

OK, so now we know what causes these things to happen, but what happens in the tank? You will see an increased volume of water moved around in your tank over the same period of time. We call this increased flow. It is the same principle as a Vortech or Tunze powerhead. They don't introduce more water volume, they just move more water around.

Side note, the water level in your sump will go up using one of these(unless you have a controllable pump and make adjustments).

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Like others have mentioned previously, old school idea and would be a lot more beneficial to be compatible with all the locline that aquarist already use. Not being compatible is a BIG turnoff for me personally. If it was compatible with what I have for my system already or if I was designing a new system, I might consider these. I=otherwise, why bother with something incompatible.

Fwiw, I believe the old school "educators" were actually compatible with locline.

Article from 2003 Advance Aquarist on educators.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/9/review

Cheers,
Alex

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
When we are talking about not being compatible with Locline, we are not talking about the threaded portion but talking about the ball socket portion.

Cheers,
Alex

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Like others have mentioned previously, old school idea and would be a lot more beneficial to be compatible with all the locline that aquarist already use. Not being compatible is a BIG turnoff for me personally. If it was compatible with what I have for my system already or if I was designing a new system, I might consider these. I=otherwise, why bother with something incompatible.

Fwiw, I believe the old school "educators" were actually compatible with locline.

Article from 2003 Advance Aquarist on educators.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/9/review

Cheers,
Alex
IMHO it's a design flaw, some hobbyist use locline and others don't. For those who don't, they have no issue with the socket. They should have been redesigned them to fit locline. :)

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
It was mentioned from md that these are not compatible with locline. :)

Cheers,
Alex
Alex,
I'm sure it was mentioned by MD, generally, I find MD to be on their game. The only issue I have is with their testing that the accelerator was tested as a stand alone, rather than compared with other similar products to see which product performs best. All things being equal, using the same pump running at the same speed the only variable being the accelerator, eductor, etc. that would have made for a more valid test.

Cheers,
Phil

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more Phil. Md should've done a better test with these units rather then just dongle in a tank. They should let us know what pump their using, etc, etc.

Cheers,
Alex

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Very glad I watched this video, as I'm currently accumulating equipment for a 220 gallon display. That "wide vortex twist" has me intrigued! I like the idea of random, continuously changing flow patterns.

I plan to use the Fluval Sea SP6 as a return - splitting the flow from that pump to two in-tank returns, with about five feet of vertical head, plus probably two or three 90-degree elbows along the flow path, would you think the wide v-twist can handle that level of water movement?

~Bruce

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back