vinegar dosing

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the article on vinegar dosing that got into a graduate level chemistry discussion about carbohydrates and it was just insane, way above my head. I have always appreciated your thoughts and input and value your opinion on reefing issues so if you get a chance would you advise me on the below issue I'm starting to have. Thanks

I'm holding my NO3 at 10 PPM and my PO4 at 0.018 PPM, I have a 3 year old tank and have noticed what looks like some red turf algae and some beginning of bubble and hair algae. I'm inclined to start dosing but have learned over 8 years of this hobby to thread slow! I'm trying to reduce the algae naturally by chaeto in sump and dosing good bacteria. I have what I consider a moderately stocked tank and feed apox 3 times a day with BRS homemade food. I'm in the initial stages of setting up calcium reactor but for now I'm dosing Aquaforest component 1, 2, 3.

SPS corals have great polyp extensinsion and growing albeit slowly,
Parameters:
alk 8.4
mag 1490
cal 440
sal 35.5
temp 79

any suggestions or thoughts on removing algae?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not assume that organic carbon dosing will solve the algae problem.

In general, lowering nutrients is a tricky way to deal with algae, and often fails to stop algae before beginning to starve corals.

I'm not sure what the best way to deal with a red turf issue. I never had any and would suggest reading around to see if others have good solutions, especially if they report a fish or other creature that eats it.

The best algae treatments in my system were fish.

Upvote 0

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I have started dosing vinegar, the glass algae has significantly slowed down
I have been using Hydrogen Peroxide dipping (not dosing directly into the tank) and it has been working well for me. Vinegar dosing is new to me, do you mind sharing the vinegar dosage guidelines.

Upvote 0

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the article on vinegar dosing that got into a graduate level chemistry discussion about carbohydrates and it was just insane, way above my head. I have always appreciated your thoughts and input and value your opinion on reefing issues so if you get a chance would you advise me on the below issue I'm starting to have. Thanks

I'm holding my NO3 at 10 PPM and my PO4 at 0.018 PPM, I have a 3 year old tank and have noticed what looks like some red turf algae and some beginning of bubble and hair algae. I'm inclined to start dosing but have learned over 8 years of this hobby to thread slow! I'm trying to reduce the algae naturally by chaeto in sump and dosing good bacteria. I have what I consider a moderately stocked tank and feed apox 3 times a day with BRS homemade food. I'm in the initial stages of setting up calcium reactor but for now I'm dosing Aquaforest component 1, 2, 3.

SPS corals have great polyp extensinsion and growing albeit slowly,
Parameters:
alk 8.4
mag 1490
cal 440
sal 35.5
temp 79

any suggestions or thoughts on removing algae?
With your nitrates and phosphate where they are don’t think dosing a good path to battling algae. Would blow off rocks with turkey baster and mix up a quarter of your sand bed once a week. Add more cuc and maybe improve flow

Upvote 0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 50 72.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back