Viparspectra 165watt, Anyone using these?

jhebi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank at work under black box lighting. From March to now. I have seen excellent growth but of course some acros are very slow than others.

March 1st IMG 2482
Oct 30th IMG 3284 - on 70% blues and 30% whites on filter lens.
Nov 8th IMG 3308 - on 70% whites and 30% blues. Kind like the Halides look.

Attachments

• IMG_2482.mp4
    6.6 MB
  • IMG_3308.mp4
    7.6 MB
  • IMG_3284.mp4
    12.2 MB

LoveReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jhebi those photos or videos won’t display on my phone. I’ll jump on pc to see if I have the same issue.

LoveReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jhebi I got the videos to work no images though. Loving that rock scape! Monti's growing well?

jhebi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but kind of slow dont know why. I have some sticks that grows like crazy others slow growers but I am happy with the lights. I was thinking on going with Halides, since I always like halides but if is not broken dont fix it.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is running blue 35/3 white my lps all open up and the polyps on the digitata come out. I'm trying lower intensity as I have hammers that are about 6 inches directly under the surface below the light and sont seem to open up as much. The only reason they are that high was after a rescape when all my digitata died, about 9 months ago. so I thought i wouldn't do sps any more, and made it an lps dominant tank but after finding out my issue was low to zero phosphates, and have been dosing them the digitata is still growing. I'll post a new up to date photo tomorrow.

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I control my viparspectra from my apex using a 0-10v analog to pwm digital converter.
Also after the first year I replaced my board with the SB Reef board made you huge difference but if I had to start over I would have just purchased the SB Reef lights for the better spectrum and I wouldn’t have needed the converter to control it from the apex either.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my photos tonight, sorry only had blues and towards the end of the light cycle.
Screenshot_20191110-231947_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191110-231855_Gallery.jpg

icejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, I was supposed to do more tests and post more results. Well I was away for work and now my Seneye broke [would not log readings] so I returned it [I will be buying different meter for Xmas]. Just so you know I turned my lights down a few points as I noticed some bleaching on my Seriatopora, that's about mid-depth in the tank. Also my SPS stopped opening but that might be low nutrients issue and not necessarily the light. Thanks. [pics to follow later on today]

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you guys know most, if not all of the black box leds aren't 165 watts they claim? At least when I've tested them.
Test them.... I have some SBreef lights and they only put out 106 watts at full power.
Have tested other brands and all about the same. I think each diode is 2 watts instead of 3 watts they advertise. All of my test were done using a Kill-A-Watt meter. So your test may differ. I would be intrested to find out if some of you get similar results.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you guys know most, if not all of the black box leds aren't 165 watts they claim? At least when I've tested them.
Test them.... I have some SBreef lights and they only put out 106 watts at full power.
Have tested other brands and all about the same. I think each diode is 2 watts instead of 3 watts they advertise. All of my test were done using a Kill-A-Watt meter. So your test may differ. I would be intrested to find out if some of you get similar results.
I think most of them aren't actually 165w, they have 55 leds and claim 3 watts each of which they don't seem to be. But they still put out alot of par even if only 2 watts each. I'm not worried about it as my corals are still growing even after having the same light for nearly 3 years.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea, fairly common knowledge here . Drivers are usually around 550mA constant current..
at the usual V(f) of around 3.6-ish that's 1.98W

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got to see and play with a new 165w Viparspectra my cousin just got. I have been on the fence on getting these lights to replace my old PFO MHs. After seeing them for myself I am really impressed. Build is solid, knob for adjustment is smooth and has a positive feel to it, easy to use and adjust setting, fans are very quiet, spread is very good as is blending of the leds. Color of the lighting looks good to the eye and its easy to get a 14k look or a 20k or even bluer look. Wish I had a PAR meter to test it out but I will once I have them on my tank. Yeah its not a Radion and does not have the control of a $800 light but for the price I am very impressed.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got to see and play with a new 165w Viparspectra my cousin just got. I have been on the fence on getting these lights to replace my old PFO MHs. After seeing them for myself I am really impressed. Build is solid, knob for adjustment is smooth and has a positive feel to it, easy to use and adjust setting, fans are very quiet, spread is very good as is blending of the leds. Color of the lighting looks good to the eye and its easy to get a 14k look or a 20k or even bluer look. Wish I had a PAR meter to test it out but I will once I have them on my tank. Yeah its not a Radion and does not have the control of a $800 light but for the price I am very impressed.
Told ya;)

stinger303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines now running with NO lenses at all, much better blending and less shadowing, because of this ive had to increase the intensity - I have also installed a reef-pi setup inside the light fixture itself so mine now is controllable and dims.

Acros are currently getting 300 Par in the tank on 100% blue and 25% white - just about ideal for me :)

IMG_20190524_114028.jpg IMG_20190524_124635.jpg
Hello,

How did you get the viparspectra lights to work with the reef-pi?

Did you use one of Mike Lanes modules?

If not can you please explain what you did?

Thanks

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info thanks. Im now wandering if my blues are too high and whites not high enough. I was worried about the whites being high and causing algae issues.

I think the color of light doesn't matter too much, as long as it's not way too blue. It's important to slowly acclimate them to changes in light, though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back