Viparspectra 165watt, Anyone using these?

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use this chart from Red Sea to adjust your parameters.
https://www.redseafish.com/reef-care-recipes/
While 8.4 DKH is acceptable, its seems fairly low to me. Also the lower your alk, the lower your pH.

I have a friend that’s got growth out the wahoo and her dKH is at a whopping 7.9.
her monti won’t stop growing and her nems split about once a year.

Last edited:

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was refering to the lights :rolleyes: :rolleyes::cool:

bahhhahahha I know. I just couldn’t take my eyes off em. I already have the light in my amazon “save for later”
Since I’m not getting my first corals for at least until July I have some time. But definitely getting the vipar.
I just wanna get these silicates out of my water first, so RODI is next on the list. Although my CUC is doing a great job. I have only done two 5 gallon water changes in the last two weeks, mainly because my auto feeder messed up and dumped too many pellets.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've finally managed to draw up my new layout of leds.
20200528_225704.jpg

litmusdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a pair of these in to replace some older, cheaper black box LEDs I was using over my 60g, am very pleased so far. I was worried that going from black box to black box might be a sidegrade, but these are better in every respect. Fan is quieter, the color spectrum is better, the built in timers are nice. Time will tell if my corals like them but if this thread is an indication it shouldn't be an issue. Starting at 1% white and 30% blue. You guys are right, that white channel is super bright.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved a few corals around now and put
At what height?
9 inches off the water with the lenses removed, I moved some of my lps that were lower down to the top and others down, so I reduced the lighting down to 45/5 now for the last week, as I annoyed them moving them. I'm still liking the mods I have done colour wise. But I'm thinking I should have added a couple violets to the white and maybe some more royal blues to it aswel. Im thinking of changing the red and green out as not sure if they help much and there are some reds and green spectrum in the whites. Even after the mods I still don't think i will run channel 1 too high though even knowing it has more blue in it. Being that I only have lps and the lights are powerful.

litmusdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bobbyrockstar_hfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this Viparspectra light used and its currently being hung on the Ecotech RMS hanging kit ,so I can move it up and down if needed .

I currently have it sitting 15 inches above the water ( hopefully the extra height above the water helps corals adjust )

To get a daytime look I can actually stand ( what I think looks good and not too yellow) vs night time ( just blues ) , I am finding I am going with these for channel settings.

1% whites
55 - 60 % blues

Here are my start times (Schedule)

Blues Start Time 1 pm
Whites Start Time 1 pm
Blues End Time 10:30 pm
Whites End Time 7 pm

Its a mixed reef , My first pieces of SPS are about 20 inches from the light

The bottom of the sand bed is 35 inches from the Viparspectra .

I'm in no way a lighting expert , and I realize the 60 percent blue is higher than normal , but with the added height the light sits above the water , I'm hoping to strike a balance of desirable daytime color and not burn any corals .

I am going to try this setup out for a few months to see how the corals react . I also started dosing ATI Essentials pro so I'll be measuring params frequently for stable water conditions .

reef2reefvipar.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights have now been over the tank for over a month now, running 62blue 12white and all of the lenses removed. I think the corals a doing ok with the new spectrum. Here are a few more shots
Screenshot_20200705-131900_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200705-131941_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200705-131912_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200705-131927_Gallery.jpg

and this last shot the stems of the hammers now seem to have a green hue to it, which it didn't show before. Maybe hard to see on the photo
Screenshot_20200705-131953_Gallery.jpg

Hellybell80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is loads less whites then I have at 1%!!
Might have to look at my lenses.
Mines so bright at 1% too bright for that percentage.
20200705_170817.jpg

Bad picture just took it with phone for the difference

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is at 9 inches off the water, and the lenses are removed. Also I have heavily modded the box and only have 8 white leds in the fixture and added 10 royal blues and 6 violets, I have my layout further up this page. It did look bright at 1% previously. As my light is old and I was on lockdown i fancied a change, I couldn't afford a new light, as the light is a good basic platform I thought I would just swap some leds out. I am tempted to swap a few of the 470 blues that I moved to the white channel for 450 royal blues. I'm goi g to leave it alone for a few more months before I change anything again.

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what is consensus on here .... run them with lenses on or off .... i have them off for more even and more like T5 appearance ... but the PAR does drop which i am ok with bc my tank is 48x24x24 120 gallon and i have them at 10 inch over water no lenses midway down i sit at 190-200 par with 100% blue and 1% white ... i think we over light out reefs as is .... just wanted to know from guys with similar size tank if you run them with lenses on or off?... btw i run 3 lights over my reef

thank you

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back