Viparspectra 165watt, Anyone using these?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me, with two fixtures and no lenses I was getting max of high 120s at mid-depth, 10" off the water. With lenses I'm getting about 100 more par at same depth and in low 400s at the highest point of aquascape. Unfortunately, coverage drops off very quickly away from center.

I have a 3rd viparspectra and I'm considering running 3 on my 120 48x24x24. If I can get the same par without lenses, I will do that as I much prefer the spread/coverage w/o lenses.

TLDR, w/o lenses on a 48x24x24 I don't think two fixtures would be enough for more than softies. With 3, I would guess (I have no data) that you could grow SPS just fine as they would produce plenty of light.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what par I have 9inches above the water, lenses removed and only lps, i think that the level I'm running I'm over lighting it at 60 blue 10 white i think i should have stayed lower at say 40 blue 5 white as i have hammers about 5 inches below the surface 24x18x18

bobbyrockstar_hfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would throw up my par readings in case it helps anyone with their settings .

par-readings-cube-.jpg

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would throw up my par readings in case it helps anyone with their settings .

par-readings-cube-.jpg
That's great info thanks. I'm assuming that you have the lenses on in your readings, so with my lenses removed and 9 inches above the water now at 40blue 5 white the percentage lost by removing the lenses would be near ish. i am a little worried that the lps at the top are in about the 200 range that's allowing for 30% drop for lens removal, maybe I should be run lower settings.

bobbyrockstar_hfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't altered the viparspectra at all , its just as it came with no mods I am aware of. It seems incredibly powerful directly under the fixture even with a 15 inch mounting height above the waterline.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't altered the viparspectra at all , its just as it came with no mods I am aware of. It seems incredibly powerful directly under the fixture even with a 15 inch mounting height above the waterline.
They are very powerful lights and the only reason I decided to change mine was purely wanting a different colour in the tank and to get rid of the yellower whites and moving the higher nm blues. Plus being bored and on lockdown. I'm not sure if I have done the right thing by changing the light yet, but I see no immediate disadvantages to doing so. I just wish someone local, either lfs or fellow reefer had a par/seneye I could hire from them to dial it in properly. Instead of just guessing.

bobbyrockstar_hfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very powerful lights and the only reason I decided to change mine was purely wanting a different colour in the tank and to get rid of the yellower whites and moving the higher nm blues. Plus being bored and on lockdown. I'm not sure if I have done the right thing by changing the light yet, but I see no immediate disadvantages to doing so. I just wish someone local, either lfs or fellow reefer had a par/seneye I could hire from them to dial it in properly. Instead of just guessing.

I went with the Seneye for these par readings .

Another local refer is currently comparing his Seneye with another par meter he is borrowing from our LFS.

I beleive there is a BRS video for comparison already against a very expensive par meter, and they claim its ridiculously close in par , but it would be interesting to see his results .

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this light. Puts out good PAR. Spectrum seems fine. Colors a little too white and bright for my taste but for the price I’m happy. My PAR seems a little lower. At 15 inches off the water and 5 inches to my pocillapora running 35 blue 1 white I’m getting approximately 200 PAR. No complaints here

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many Viparspectras for a 36"x18" tank?
Can't decide between (2) of the 165w models or go with (1) of the 300w model?
I'd prefer the single unit to cut down on additional cords and timers if possible.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd prefer the single unit to cut down on additional cords and timers if possible.

For a tank that size I think you'll be splitting hairs. You may be able to get slightly better coverage by using two 165s slightly spaced out, but you have double mounting and double the powercords.

Also one 300 will be ever slow slightly cheaper than two 165s.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d update that I’m still using these with no mods. 3 units 13-15” above a standard 180. Blues at 70, whites at 25 (I like the whiter 14k halide look). I’m also running a diy stunner strip and a VHO SuperActinic bulb on each side. Growth and color are great. I’ve done some fragging, but from the same angle, you can see there’s still been great growth since October.
A98E22D2-0723-4A8D-8E19-B59B6F6E584B.jpeg

09CA8DF8-574F-4BAE-B5E5-AE1DCD5FCD66.jpeg

The white channel is off right now, but the circled areas are just two instances of growth I’ve had over the past couple of months. Left is what I think is ORA Joe the Coral, Right is WWC Yellow Tip Austera.
A98E22D2-0723-4A8D-8E19-B59B6F6E584B.jpeg

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Much safer to go with 2 of the 165W in case something fails. You at least have 1 working light.

FWIW...I would order 3 of the 165 and keep one as backup or buy a used one as backup if you have a decent craigslist / facebook market in your area. They are so cheap it just makes sense to me. Over the course of about 9-10 years and about 15 or so of the various black box fixtures over multiple tanks I have had 2 fail. It's very convenient to be able to plug in the extra fixture with zero down time.

Boogiedown_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how’s it going guys, hope everything is well. I’m setting up a frag tank (20L) 30x12x12 and I’m thinking of going with the viparspectra 165 it’ll be hanging approximately 10-12” inches from the water for a total of 24”. I’ll be keeping mixed corals as it’ll be a grow out tank as well. I’m going with no sand and I’ll be using egg crates. I’m thinking of a bottom platform covering an area of 24x12 and a second platform around 12x6 Closer to the top of the water in the center of the tank for my SPS. I’ll be using a HOB filter, protein skimmer, and the hygger 1600gph wave maker. The bottom platform will be raised 1-2” from the glass to leave space for bio blocks and heaters. The top platform would be 6-8” from the glass. I’m using a hydra 26HD on my main DT and would like to know what’s your recommendations for keeping the corals that’ll be transferred into the frag was tank.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how’s it going guys, hope everything is well. I’m setting up a frag tank (20L) 30x12x12 and I’m thinking of going with the viparspectra 165 it’ll be hanging approximately 10-12” inches from the water for a total of 24”. I’ll be keeping mixed corals as it’ll be a grow out tank as well. I’m going with no sand and I’ll be using egg crates. I’m thinking of a bottom platform covering an area of 24x12 and a second platform around 12x6 Closer to the top of the water in the center of the tank for my SPS. I’ll be using a HOB filter, protein skimmer, and the hygger 1600gph wave maker. The bottom platform will be raised 1-2” from the glass to leave space for bio blocks and heaters. The top platform would be 6-8” from the glass. I’m using a hydra 26HD on my main DT and would like to know what’s your recommendations for keeping the corals that’ll be transferred into the frag was tank.
Hi, your plan sounds great its just the light would be very bright for that water height, but it can be turned down. The light can have the lenses removed to give spread and reduce the hot spots from the beams of light for the corals nearer the surface if needed. The light is more than adequate for growing out corals. You could always leave the base platform nearer the full width to allow you to place lower light loving corals on the edges of the spread, that would allow your top shelf to go a little wider maybe? They are good lights and should serve you well. All the best for how you go and keep us posted with your tank and build of it.

Boogiedown_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, your plan sounds great its just the light would be very bright for that water height, but it can be turned down. The light can have the lenses removed to give spread and reduce the hot spots from the beams of light for the corals nearer the surface if needed. The light is more than adequate for growing out corals. You could always leave the base platform nearer the full width to allow you to place lower light loving corals on the edges of the spread, that would allow your top shelf to go a little wider maybe? They are good lights and should serve you well. All the best for how you go and keep us posted with your tank and build of it.
Will do,I’m thinking of making it a video series and documenting everything as I go along, what percentage do you recommend a start with I was thinking 20 blue and 1 white

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do,I’m thinking of making it a video series and documenting everything as I go along, what percentage do you recommend a start with I was thinking 20 blue and 1 white
I'd possibly go 15 blue 1 white or leave corals at the bottom to see how they react at 20 blue 1 white.

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have this light over a 20long frag tank. I would add or second a couple of comments. Coral placement will be very important as the length of this light is 16 inches and the tank is 30 inches. Also since there isn’t much water volume I have had dose two part as the Alk really gets sucked up by the corals even though I use a high Alk salt for water changes. Happy reefing! Looking forward to watching your thread!

Boogiedown_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have this light over a 20long frag tank. I would add or second a couple of comments. Coral placement will be very important as the length of this light is 16 inches and the tank is 30 inches. Also since there isn’t much water volume I have had dose two part as the Alk really gets sucked up by the corals even though I use a high Alk salt for water changes. Happy reefing! Looking forward to watching your thread!
Nice to hear someone else has a similar set up, yea I figured I would to does the tank when it gets packed with corals, what percentage are you running. And do you have any other tips you’ve learned dealing with this set up, how high is your lights from the water and what’s your running time?

Back