Viparspectra vs NooPsyche K7 Pro V3

Qantos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find a thread comparing these two budget lighting options directly. I know the NooPsyche is the higher end light but I'm wondering if the additional cost is worth it for a 100% Acro tank?

I'm coming from a T5/Metal Halide setup which produces great growth but is a pain in terms of heat generation, replacing bulbs every year, power consumption, and lackluster color compared to some LED setups I've seen.

For SPS, do you think the NooPsyche is worth it for being about $80 more than the viparspectra? Anyone have any experience with both of these?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I used to run vipars on 2 separate tanks. They grew coral but when I switched to @noopsyche lights, my corals took off. They will both work but I favor noopsyche lights at this point. Best of luck :)

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had the Viparspectra, not the noopsyche, but I didn't like the disco ball effects. They didn't blend well and I had mine mounted pretty far from the surface. From what I've seen/ read on the noops I'd choose that over Viparspectra if I were to buy again.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, $100 is well worth the added features you get with the Noop.

Vipars are white/blue channel only. and ON/OFF only. I could never get mine dialed in exactly how I wanted it. It was always too white, or too blue. Even with white channel down at only 1% it was still too white. But if you turned the whites off, then it was 100% windex blue. no middle ground.

I traded in my Viparspectras for a light similar to the noops, with 6 channels of control and the abilit to ramp up/down, etc..

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are truely using them for an Acro tank, the difference is less than 1 frag from vipar to Noops lol.

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend doing some research before going down the black box rabbit hole. Been there, done that.
While it was a good experience or experiment as far as black box a vs. black box b. It starts adding up and that’s money you could put toward other items like 470nm light bars, pumps, fish, coral, etc.
I have no experience with Noop’s.
Out of the black box led’s I have tried, Viparspectra was by far the best color spectrum.
I tried smattfarm (my least favorite) , marsaqua and phlison (practically the same except for lens) and Viparspectra.
IMO.. Viparspectra clear winner.
I upgraded to 120* lens, much better spread.
120 lenses made a noticeable difference.
~$10 per light from AliExpress.

Whatever you decide on trying, make sure you can return them if they are not to your liking.

Any of these will grow corals fine but be aware of the hype. That’s how I ended up trying smattfarm and hated them. White channels very yellow.
Luckily I purchased from Amazon and those ******* went straight back.

Seems like Noops are getting more popular.
I don’t know anyone near me that has them and can’t really speak to those.
I think they are on the forum, maybe check with them on stock if your interested in trying them.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back