0   0   0
Love the looks of an open sump.

F9AFDEDC-4822-4ACC-A0C9-8CD25395E7CD.jpeg

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A well organizes and maintained sump is one of the most fascinating things about this hobby. One good thing about having it out where it can be seen, is the motivation to keep it nice and interesting to look at. I find that if it’s easy to get to and I can see it, then I take more consistent care of it. I would recommend having an external sump if there is room for one. Better yet, put it up off the floor 30” or so and make it easy to access. The sump can be a busy place that requires as much attention as the display.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines in a closet too... I was looking more for ease of access than good looking. Hey, the closet door is usually closed, right?

Sump.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I LOVE a visible sump but how hard is it to keep them clean? I have enough issue with my display! HA! :p

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A well organizes and maintained sump is one of the most fascinating things about this hobby. One good thing about having it out where it can be seen, is the motivation to keep it nice and interesting to look at. I find that if it’s easy to get to and I can see it, then I take more consistent care of it. I would recommend having an external sump if there is room for one. Better yet, put it up off the floor 30” or so and make it easy to access. The sump can be a busy place that requires as much attention as the display.
I definitely agree with this, it is such a hassle to clean my socks and skimmer cup in my sump that is under the tank. When I upgrade I think having everything out where I can see and reach it is really going to help with motivation. Also, having more vertical space for a skimmer opens up some options.

I plan to upgrade within a month, I'll make sure I post some pictures here for people to see.

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main reason for having a enclosed/remote sump is my 2yrd daughter. I’ve found crayon, stuffed toys, etc, etc in the sump on my Discus Tank.

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A display sump. No thanks. Those were some very cool examples, but I rather build the tank around the house than the house around the tank. For the original poster I would consider a new stand before taking up floor space beside the tank. Build a new stand with enough room for a 40 breeder sump would be my suggestion.

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A display sump. No thanks. Those were some very cool examples, but I rather build the tank around the house than the house around the tank. For the original poster I would consider a new stand before taking up floor space beside the tank. Build a new stand with enough room for a 40 breeder sump would be my suggestion.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 45g rimless and I’d like to add a sump/refugium. Unfortunately the stand I have does not have the room underneath to fit a sump (it is ridiculously small). I’m trying to figure out a different way to setup a sump which will probably have to be visible but I also don’t want an ugly box just sitting on the floor next to my tank.

Anyone done something similar, have pictures, advice?

Thanks!

If you go custom like I did with my Lifereef visible sump can be awesome!

341487A4-F356-40DC-8762-F26ED130CB0F.jpeg

Last edited:

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a lot of hard work and careful planning (all of which can be one of the most rewarding parts of the hobby), you can make a sump look great. But making a protein skimmer smell great . . . or even just not awful -- good luck with that. If the sump is going to be exposed to an area you'd rather smell like something other than a swamp, I'd enclose it. On my 265, I even went as far as plumbing an exhaust fan into the roof above my attic and running a duct down through the wall into the sump area so it constantly pulls air from the cabinet and vents it out the roof. I don't know what your situation is but, for me, having the wife think my tank makes the house smell like low tide has never led anywhere good.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a lot of hard work and careful planning (all of which can be one of the most rewarding parts of the hobby), you can make a sump look great. But making a protein skimmer smell great . . . or even just not awful -- good luck with that. If the sump is going to be exposed to an area you'd rather smell like something other than a swamp, I'd enclose it. On my 265, I even went as far as plumbing an exhaust fan into the roof above my attic and running a duct down through the wall into the sump area so it constantly pulls air from the cabinet and vents it out the roof. I don't know what your situation is but, for me, having the wife think my tank makes the house smell like low tide has never led anywhere good.

A quick way to eliminate the smell is to drill a hole in the cup and link it to the Venturi on the skimmer. Pulls the smelly air and makes millions of little bubbles with it!

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really sweet setup. I might have to do something like that when I finally get my 200g.

You can do it smaller too. This one is obviously very well done and beautiful, but some very careful plumbing and a clean hand and the open sump can really add to the display. Don’t go half way and try to hide parts though. Make it look like it was always meant to be there.

I wish I could do it as cleanly as this!

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An open sump can be ok, the examples above are outstanding! The picture below is of the LifeReef sump that I am starting up with my 168g Rimless tank. I was against the sump being outside at first but now that I have it almost done it looks pretty cool. Good luck, this site has a lot of great ideas from really good people. My sump is 49in long, monster Vertex Alpha 200 skimmer so it did not fit inside of the tank cabinet. I have a 20g long inside the cabinet as a Refugium that will run with this system. I have it a little easy as this system will be in my basement with my main display, 120g, located upstairs.

sump pic 3.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back