Visible sump - is it gonna be ugly?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by TheLadyCrash, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I currently have a 45g rimless and I’d like to add a sump/refugium. Unfortunately the stand I have does not have the room underneath to fit a sump (it is ridiculously small). I’m trying to figure out a different way to setup a sump which will probably have to be visible but I also don’t want an ugly box just sitting on the floor next to my tank.

Anyone done something similar, have pictures, advice?

Thanks!

aKlevans likes this.
    Tags:

2. aKlevans

aKlevans Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

If you think sumps are ugly, you haven't seen @Broadfield 's:)

[​IMG]

3. keddre

keddre Well-Known Member

You could do a display fuge.

4. Antics

Antics Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I've done a sump sitting on the floor next to the tank. I think it can look fine, but really you need to dedicate time/effort into making it look that way. Hard plumbing and proper cord management is 90% of the work. Almost anything looks great if you can accomplish that.

I'm not saying its ideal, but a lot of people could "showcase" a sump next to their tank if they built a platform stand for it and spent the time working on the aesthetic.

5. reefes pieces

reefes pieces Member R2R Supporter SCMAS Member

I agree. Sumps don't have to be hideous, but it may take some money and skills to do something proper. An easy and more cost effective route would be to look for furniture like cabinets or something that can fit your sump inside and can be incognito adjacent to the tank. Some minimal modding may be required.

6. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Put mine in the closet
    IMG_4087.JPG

7. keddre

keddre Well-Known Member

Maybe hand build a little cabinet next to it

TheLadyCrash and JoshH like this.
  8. JoshH

JoshH Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Screenshot_2017-11-07-18-37-16.png I made mine fit into my cabinet probably not the best idea but I love how it turned out, went doorless though to see it all given how much it cost lol but nxt to it on some kind of platform could still look awesome. Just to give you a quick idea what it might look like...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    TheLadyCrash likes this.
  9. rainmaker

rainmaker Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Partner Member 2018

Built a cabinet an had it beside tank top opens an doors on front this was on my Previous tank 23DCBED5-C864-4FBE-99BC-5C85B2CA5726.jpeg 3AA3A3AC-363C-441D-A705-6A28495BB63A.jpeg

10. Bulldog07

Bulldog07 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Wood working is not a strength of mine, and this isn't the fanciest, but I went with a cabinet next to the tank. Both panels come off on the top for access. No doors on the side, but I don't really need them. All of my electronics are under the tank on the stand doors so they are handy when I open the doors.

My wife and daughter took advantage of the space for Halloween but that's the best picture I have of just the cabinet for now.[​IMG][​IMG]

marspeed, JP79, glb and 2 others like this.
  11. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

This.

I've seen your tanks. You have a flair.

A suggestion. Low profile light. Tunze style skimmer. Easy cheap clean. Dragons tounge. Etc.

12. Benqb007

Benqb007 Well-Known Member

What are you looking to get out of the sump? Skimmer? Growing macro is obviously up there in priorities as well, but you could jump on the new canister craze with chaeto growth from cheap LED wrapped around the canister, so ways you can make stuff look cool and save room.

TheLadyCrash likes this.
  13. Elder1945

Elder1945 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

My sump is open... Open sumps are the new "cool" thing....
    [​IMG]

Reefmon, Tim Olson, sifrost and 15 others like this.
  14. TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Oh my....that is amazing! I love the controllers being set up so nicely by it too. That’s beautiful.

glb likes this.
  15. TheLadyCrash

This is what I’m afraid of. Lol!

Zack Klabunde likes this.
  16. TheLadyCrash

That’s a really sweet setup. I might have to do something like that when I finally get my 200g.

glb likes this.
  17. leahfiish

leahfiish Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm upgrading my tank and my sump will go next to it but slightly lower. I'm having a 2nd stand made for it.

TheLadyCrash likes this.
  18. TheLadyCrash

Awww shucks...thanks @saltyfilmfolks . I do have a Hydor Slim Skim I’m running that looks similar to the Tunze.

saltyfilmfolks and Katrina71 like this.
  19. TheLadyCrash

My goal is to move the equipment out from the back f the tank (it’s an AIO). I hate seeing hoses sticking out and I would like something easier to clean. I do also want to grow macro plus have a fuge area for pods since I have a mandarin.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  20. TheLadyCrash

Very nice!

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted