Visible sump - is it gonna be ugly?

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 45g rimless and I’d like to add a sump/refugium. Unfortunately the stand I have does not have the room underneath to fit a sump (it is ridiculously small). I’m trying to figure out a different way to setup a sump which will probably have to be visible but I also don’t want an ugly box just sitting on the floor next to my tank.

Anyone done something similar, have pictures, advice?

Thanks!

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think sumps are ugly, you haven't seen @Broadfield 's:)

10-jpg.489536

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've done a sump sitting on the floor next to the tank. I think it can look fine, but really you need to dedicate time/effort into making it look that way. Hard plumbing and proper cord management is 90% of the work. Almost anything looks great if you can accomplish that.

I'm not saying its ideal, but a lot of people could "showcase" a sump next to their tank if they built a platform stand for it and spent the time working on the aesthetic.

reefes pieces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Sumps don't have to be hideous, but it may take some money and skills to do something proper. An easy and more cost effective route would be to look for furniture like cabinets or something that can fit your sump inside and can be incognito adjacent to the tank. Some minimal modding may be required.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2017-11-07-18-37-16.png
I made mine fit into my cabinet probably not the best idea but I love how it turned out, went doorless though to see it all given how much it cost lol but nxt to it on some kind of platform could still look awesome. Just to give you a quick idea what it might look like...

Last edited:

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood working is not a strength of mine, and this isn't the fanciest, but I went with a cabinet next to the tank. Both panels come off on the top for access. No doors on the side, but I don't really need them. All of my electronics are under the tank on the stand doors so they are handy when I open the doors.

My wife and daughter took advantage of the space for Halloween but that's the best picture I have of just the cabinet for now.
0af0fa7b179348b7149d20639ffe1d0b.jpg
18ac3be1d7f3ce94bd20ba2d593fe4a6.jpg

Benqb007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you looking to get out of the sump? Skimmer? Growing macro is obviously up there in priorities as well, but you could jump on the new canister craze with chaeto growth from cheap LED wrapped around the canister, so ways you can make stuff look cool and save room.

OP
OP
TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This.

I've seen your tanks. You have a flair.

A suggestion. Low profile light. Tunze style skimmer. Easy cheap clean. Dragons tounge. Etc.

Awww shucks...thanks @saltyfilmfolks . I do have a Hydor Slim Skim I’m running that looks similar to the Tunze.

OP
OP
TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you looking to get out of the sump? Skimmer? Growing macro is obviously up there in priorities as well, but you could jump on the new canister craze with chaeto growth from cheap LED wrapped around the canister, so ways you can make stuff look cool and save room.

My goal is to move the equipment out from the back f the tank (it’s an AIO). I hate seeing hoses sticking out and I would like something easier to clean. I do also want to grow macro plus have a fuge area for pods since I have a mandarin.

OP
OP
TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood working is not a strength of mine, and this isn't the fanciest, but I went with a cabinet next to the tank. Both panels come off on the top for access. No doors on the side, but I don't really need them. All of my electronics are under the tank on the stand doors so they are handy when I open the doors.

My wife and daughter took advantage of the space for Halloween but that's the best picture I have of just the cabinet for now.
0af0fa7b179348b7149d20639ffe1d0b.jpg
18ac3be1d7f3ce94bd20ba2d593fe4a6.jpg

Very nice!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back