Vlamingi Tang trouble

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hlle? Always trying to learn and what better source.

Two different things.

HLLE: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hlle-head-lateral-line-erosion.259916/

“Hole in the Head” is caused by diplomonads (internal flagellate) which start out in the GI but oftentimes migrate to other parts of the body. In this case, the sensory pores where it tries to bore out (creating lesions). This is exactly what Hexamita does in FW Cichlids. I have scoped very similar looking diplomonads in marine fish.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen HLLE look this raised and puffy. I’ve taken care of a Vlamingi that was a good 18” in a 400g -10ft long tank. I totally agree that you’ve got to feed these guys a lot of seaweed! In the ocean they spend the majority of their day grazing, so vegetables matter not an option it is a must. Get all the various types you can find. Live ogo is awesome as it has all the enzymes intact too! I believe algae barn carries it. The Vlamingi I cared for paced back and forth pretty much most of the night. I agree with these being abrasions on the tangs head. There may be some pathogenic bacterial infection that has set up under the abrasions. I agree with others that a treatment tank that’s too small maybe more stressful than helpful. That said, if you see the abrasions get worse you can use Seachems Kanaplex and Focus mixed together in the food you feed your fish. I only recommend this method of administration as it’s safe in a reef tank as long as you just treat the food and secondly Kanaplex is absorbed through the fishes gut. If this is HLLE I definitely recommend seaweed, possibly the removal of carbon if your using it, opening up areas for free swimming and larger areas for sleeping and checking for stray voltage within the tank. Ultimately my Vlamingi became too large for the clients tank. I love the personality of these guys but after caring for several of these guys I won’t put them in tanks again as they’ve just gotten to big.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back