VNOMUS - JBJ 65G AIO Flat Panel Build

60_driver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not needed for my tank (36x18)....
Thanks! Just picked up the same tank as well. I’ll be transitioning my Biocube 32 (2yrs) to the JBJ 65 and like where your configuration is headed.

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank side plumbing done...
20201120_140111.jpg

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Full Water Test (did an initial test when I added the bulkheads just to make sure they didn't leak).

Filled the system with about 100 gallons of tap water. Found a couple issues....
  • A leak where I'd forgotten to glue a fitting on the return ball valve union, which proceeded to blow water all over our brand new family room floor (One wife,... very unhappy!). :(
  • I also wanted to test the return with the valve closed,...and didn't have zip locks on the silicon output hose. I now can confirm two things,
    1. That my chosen return pump puts out a ton of water under very high pressure! :oops:
    2. That unsecured barbed fittings can't hold that pressure. :eek:
      Luckily I was there to enjoy the cascade of water, hitting the sump room ceiling, and the subsequent downpour!....Well better to find out my failures with plain old H2O than with saltwater.
I was hoping that by keeping the original AIO sump in place, that it would naturally limit the amount of backflow when the return pump is powered off.. However, the AIO's false wall has three small predrilled holes supposedly to equalize the water level and pressure between the sump and display. This eliminates that benefit and results in 20 gallons of additional backflow water into the sump. I would like to be able use more than half my 40g sump, and not have to reserve it for this scenario, so I decided to plug those hoses with some underwater epoxy.
20201122_100540.jpg

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak test complete, drained, and added aquascape... picked up 40lbs of Pukani dry rock from a fellow WAMAS member. First time I've used thi type of rock and it's super light for the size, only used about 30lbs....

20201125_074006.jpg

20201125_074022.jpg

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added old Winbook for R-Pi control and riser for the saltwater bin to prevent back syphoning when the AWC pump shuts down. Also added a float switch to automatically shut off the RODI to salt pump. Added first chaetodonated by local reefer.
20201229_170919.jpg

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build - love the way parts printing adds capability. Was wondering why you decided to add the 40 G sump?
Thanks, I think a 3D printer is required reef equipment these days. It turned out we were redoing our floor where the tank was going to go and so had the opportunity to add the necessary plumbing for a remote sump. Besides significantly increasing the water volume, it also means all the equipment and associated noise is completely hidden away. Maintenance is whole lot easier when everything's not crammed into the back or underneath the display.

ArmchairReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think a 3D printer is required reef equipment these days. It turned out we were redoing our floor where the tank was going to go and so had the opportunity to add the necessary plumbing for a remote sump. Besides significantly increasing the water volume, it also means all the equipment and associated noise is completely hidden away. Maintenance is whole lot easier when everything's not crammed into the back or underneath the display.
Good exploit for sure - that will be useful for upgrades too. What sites do you like for aquaria related patterns?

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked a brand new Lifeguard QL-40 for $100 off of CL. dang its BIG!...Hopefully this will help with the dino issue. Measured return flow is down to 293 GPH. Also added a second Icecap 4K and moved the old 1K to the fuge to act as a Chaeto tumbler with the Reef-Pi switching it on for five min four times a day....
16126322080187898625933377089351.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, turns out one of the level ATO sensors (Hydrofil) wasn't secured properly and worked its way loose. The controller appearently doesn't have a safety timeout and just kept the pump on....

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a AWC system based off an adjustable Millipore peristaltic pump I got off EB for $100. It included one #17 head so bought another for $40. At max speed it moves 1 cup/8s or about 1g/128s so set it up on the Reef-pi to run twice a day for 100s which should translate to 1.5g/d or 10%/week.

20210423_164521.jpg

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I should add my lastest creation, a 3D printed Rollermat, to my build thread.

Attachments

• card_preview_Rollermat_-_Front.png
    card_preview_Rollermat_-_Front.png
    26 KB · Views: 29

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back