Vodka dosing calculation all wrong?

tanks2u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following the recommended dosing measurements from a non-R2R site, I've come to the conclusion that my dosing regimen of the last 3 weeks has been highly ineffective and a literal waste of time and vodka. Using the system volume calculator here, it shows my net volume is essentially 112gal between the display tank and sump. Increasing the dosing slowly over the last 3 weeks, I'm currently only at 3ml, when according to another thread on R2R, I should be somewhere in the 2-3ml range per 100 liters, which would put me around 12ml for my volume. So here are my questions for those who have more experience than me:

1. Is that conversion correct for my tank (12ml for around 112 gallons)?
2. If the answer to question #1 is yes, can I go from 3ml right to 12ml or should I increase slowly building up till 12ml?
3. If the answer to question #2 is 'slowly build up to 12ml', how would be best to ramp up to 12ml (dosage and timeframe)?

I'm new to dosing (obviously), so, please be kind, and I truly appreciate the assistance.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following the recommended dosing measurements from a non-R2R site, I've come to the conclusion that my dosing regimen of the last 3 weeks has been highly ineffective and a literal waste of time and vodka. Using the system volume calculator here, it shows my net volume is essentially 112gal between the display tank and sump. Increasing the dosing slowly over the last 3 weeks, I'm currently only at 3ml, when according to another thread on R2R, I should be somewhere in the 2-3ml range per 100 liters, which would put me around 12ml for my volume. So here are my questions for those who have more experience than me:

1. Is that conversion correct for my tank (12ml for around 112 gallons)?
2. If the answer to question #1 is yes, can I go from 3ml right to 12ml or should I increase slowly building up till 12ml?
3. If the answer to question #2 is 'slowly build up to 12ml', how would be best to ramp up to 12ml (dosage and timeframe)?

I'm new to dosing (obviously), so, please be kind, and I truly appreciate the assistance.
I'm sure you have a good idea on what's going on. I was in the same boat and was going to dose vodka but I didn't trust the idea. What salt do you use if I may ask, nvm I checked, rs black bucket still?

What's going on with your system that you want to carbon dose?

50 nitrates still?

I don't trust the idea of vodka dosing and also adding peroxide to a system. It may work for some but I don't was to be in the same club and my luck I'd goof up. I know a few things from my fails if you like to hear what I did to change the system around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tanks2u

tanks2u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you have a good idea on what's going on. I was in the same boat and was going to dose methanol but I didn't trust the idea. What salt do you use if I may ask, nvm I checked, rs black bucket.

What's going on with your system that you want to carbon dose?

50 nitrates still?
Worse. Using the Hannah tester, my nitrates on the 21st were 57.8ppm and this morning they were 64.9ppm. I can't get below 50ppm. On July 14th, nitrates were at their lowest - 50.6ppm. Water changes have been helping, but I'm just not seeing any improvement since I started dosing. If my calculations are wrong, I suspect that's the reason for the non-improvement.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worse. Using the Hannah tester, my nitrates on the 21st were 57.8ppm and this morning they were 64.9ppm. I can't get below 50ppm. On July 14th, nitrates were at their lowest - 50.6ppm. Water changes have been helping, but I'm just not seeing any improvement since I started dosing. If my calculations are wrong, I suspect that's the reason for the non-improvement.
How's the phosphate?

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly what I can toss your way from my upset was bactor7. That will drop the nitrate and also phosphate. I was dosing 8x what I was supposed to and couldn't figure out why I couldn't keep nutrients in the tank.

I stopped 3-4 days ago dosing bactor7 and my numbers are slowly going up.

If you want to go down that road try bactor7 but if you really want to carbon dose safely without feeding the uglies grab a box of Tropic Marin bio actif salt and just use it for your water changes and things won't drop over night but it'll lower nutrients in a safe way without feeding the nastys with alcohol.

OP
OP
tanks2u

tanks2u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly what I can toss your way from my upset was bactor7. That will drop the nitrate and also phosphate. I was dosing 8x what I was supposed to and couldn't figure out why I couldn't keep nutrients in the tank.

I stopped 3-4 days ago dosing bactor7 and my numbers are slowly going up.

If you want to go down that road try bactor7 but if you reaMiclly want to carbon dose safely without feeding the uglies grab a box of Tropic Marin bio actif salt and just use it for your water changes and things won't drop over night but it'll lower nutrients in a safe way without feeding the nastys with alcohol.
I'll look into MicroBacter7 and do some research. The worker at my LFS that was helping me last week mentioned Tropic Marin's salt and recommended that, which I wish I had known prior to purchasing the RS Coral Pro salt. I already switched off of Aquaforest; don't know if I'm willing to switch again, especially when I just started a new bucket.

No fish, only corals at this point, and I only feed ReefRoids once per week, using less than the recommended amount. I feed directly and minimally broadcast in the water column.

I do not have a Hanna ulr phosphorus tester.

I appreciate your input and assistance. Thanks.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into MicroBacter7 and do some research. The worker at my LFS that was helping me last week mentioned Tropic Marin's salt and recommended that, which I wish I had known prior to purchasing the RS Coral Pro salt. I already switched off of Aquaforest; don't know if I'm willing to switch again, especially when I just started a new bucket. I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Your lfs guy is on the right track. I'm not saying to switch salt all together. Its just a suggestion from my own personal experience. Using it I've seen what it does for carbon dosing for my system. It won't hurt like I said to just get a small box and just add it to your water change routine. You'll be slowly and safely carbon dosing on a different safer level rather then dumping in vodka.

OP
OP
tanks2u

tanks2u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For carbon dosing to work you need some phosphate.
So let me ask a dumb question, would you put livestock in the tank with my nitrates hanging between 50-60ppm? I was holding off because I wanted to lower nitrates first, but I'm beginning to think I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with no fish making waste thereby allowing the water cycle to work properly. I don't want to kill livestock, and I certainly don't want to waste money.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask a dumb question, would you put livestock in the tank with my nitrates hanging between 50-60ppm? I was holding off because I wanted to lower nitrates first, but I'm beginning to think I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with no fish making waste thereby allowing the water cycle to work properly. I don't want to kill livestock, and I certainly don't want to waste money.
Nobody wants to waste money, you said you've been doing water changes. How much and how often have you been doing your water change?

If you change 50% of your water then you're going to drop your nitrates roughly 50% as well.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't experienced nitrates above 12 yet in marine, but our fresh tanks nitrates are always off the charts and hasn't hurt new additions yet.

If it were me, I would drip aclimate first.

Actually, first I would dose some phosphates and continue the carbon dosing, and if its not a large system I would water change to get the nitrates down some if I was adding lifestock.

but I suspect just reducing shock from drastically different nitrate levels would he enough, with a drip.

I am guessing you must dose aminos? I that's the only thing I put in that seems to help with keeping nitrates up. The reefroids are supposed to, and evidently in my experience, cause jigher phosphates.

OP
OP
tanks2u

tanks2u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't experienced nitrates above 12 yet in marine, but our fresh tanks nitrates are always off the charts and hasn't hurt new additions yet.

If it were me, I would drip aclimate first.

Actually, first I would dose some phosphates and continue the carbon dosing, and if its not a large system I would water change to get the nitrates down some if I was adding lifestock.

but I suspect just reducing shock from drastically different nitrate levels would he enough, with a drip.

I am guessing you must dose aminos? I that's the only thing I put in that seems to help with keeping nitrates up. The reefroids are supposed to, and evidently in my experience, cause jigher phosphates.
I'm not dosing anything other than vodka, and I didn't even bother tonight.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not dosing anything other than vodka, and I didn't even bother tonight.
I get the frustration, been there and still there but for me I'm seeing improvement. Want phosphate then add Neophos. But @Randy Holmes-Farley will suggest something much better for the job. Hope things turn around for ya. Enjoy your evening. And happy reefing :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back