Buckwilds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have known I've had some voltage in my tank for a while now but can't really seem to do anything to cure it. I am using a digital multimeter to read out ac voltage. Currently I have a grounding probe in the tank as with all my equipment on I hit about 60 volts without it in (with it in I am zero'd out). The biggest culprit is the aqua lifter pump (for my hob overflow), that I just discovered as I was playing tonight, that is putting out about 40 of those. Other pumps and devices are putting out around a collective 20, all small amounts that makes me really apprehensive about replacing like 5 pumps/powerheads/heaters. Are the few volts coming from my mp10s really worth replacing them?The really odd thing I found is that the tank is at .8 volts with NOTHING plugged in (I have checked to be sure by putting the grounding plug back in to zero it and taking it back out and it reverts to .8). Is there just a charge with saltwater that won't go away or is there something else I should be checking? And I've seen so many mixed things about grounding probes I don't know whether what I'm doing is the suggested course of action or not. I'll be ordering a new aqualifter as soon as I'm done this post.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a ground fault receptacle or breaker for your tank? If not, install one if you are capable, or have a qualified electrician do it.

What I think you are seeing, is induced voltage. This occurs from the spinning magnets and changing polarities in the windings... basically, everything electronic has a magnetic field around it, and when this field passes thru another circuit, it can create voltage in that circuit.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you put your hand in the tank can you feel the voltage?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back