Vortech MP40 upgrade

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a while back I purchased a used MP40. Prior to that I had a MP10QD. The MP40 was significantly noisier.

I upgraded the driver to the QD driver. That helped out a lot, but not enough.

My question is would upgrading the wet side to the newer version be the next logical step as far as noise reduction, or the external portion. Not sure which will make the most difference.

Or I could just sell the whole thing and go to a gyre!!!!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the only other difference between the QD and non-QD is the dry side. There are different bearings, among other things.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might help you make up your mind.

ecochart_1_1.jpg

jfree07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say about the gyre, but i've recently made the switch back over the Tunze pumps. I have to say i'm much happier after the last 10 years of mp10s and mp40s.

OP
OP
databox

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses folks!!

First I'll try that hard reset.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where the noise is coming from LOL. Older MP40 wetsides tended to develop a wobble over time, and since they are all old by now, probably due for a replacement regardless. Some folks seem to burn through dry side bearings, so that is potentially a source of noise also. MP40 was completely redesigned for the QD, versus just the drivers for the MP10 and MP60.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back