Vortech pumps

Have you had problems with your vortech?

• YES

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • NO

Votes: 47 62.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NC Health

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 MP 40 and like everything else you have to do the maintenance wich doesn't really take long. I soak the wet side in vinegar for a few minutes while I have a water change, brush off any coralline and make sure the propeller moves freely after cleaning. Since then no problems... Dang, I think I just jinxed myself! haha hope this helps. Al

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had all kinds of problems. Mostly due to the shafts locking up after only two months of use. Got them replaced and still had problems.

Finally gave up and went back to Tunzes. No problems at all now.

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an mp40, and have only had one issue in the yr. i've had it. i will say that the ecotech customer support was top notch and they fixed the problem immediately and at no cost to me.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think every one that has had problems with them is beacause they
- Ramp the velocity very high and it keeps the pump very hot
- Alingment with the pumps on wich will make it vibrate and break any ineternal
- Not configuring the magnet size correctly to the tank
- When putting it to the tank not holding the wet side and turning it on if its not aling correctly it falls off an could damage

corsi1330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. I was in the market for 2 mp40's but with 30% of people having problems I may be looking at other options. Seems like a high percentage for a $400 powerhead?

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. I was in the market for 2 mp40's but with 30% of people having problems I may be looking at other options. Seems like a high percentage for a $400 powerhead?

I think the factors noted in eggie's post would explain a good portion of the 30% who have had problems.

Gary

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Gary

I really think if you avoid all the issues I posted you will end up with a good vortech with no problem
I think one other issue is maybe using the wrong vortech on the wrong tank for example a an mp20 on a 75 tank you will have to crank it up so high it will heat up an cause problem always go over so you use less speed

corsi1330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gary

I really think if you avoid all the issues I posted you will end up with a good vortech with no problem
I think one other issue is maybe using the wrong vortech on the wrong tank for example a an mp20 on a 75 tank you will have to crank it up so high it will heat up an cause problem always go over so you use less speed

Thanks for the info. I wonder what the % would be of people that would buy them again given the choice? "Thats another thread". I will most likely purchase them as there are many that swear by them and there customer service has never been questioned! Wanting to put 2 mp40's in a 120g.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I wonder what the % would be of people that would buy them again given the choice? "Thats another thread". I will most likely purchase them as there are many that swear by them and there customer service has never been questioned! Wanting to put 2 mp40's in a 120g.

I could tell you that there customer service is the best a friend had his power supply go bad for some electrical reason he has in his house and they send them a new power supply no questions ask and shipped free
And thats costumer service
I run mines like 50 to 60 % cause Iv seen if I hit to high like 80% it heats up more plus the closer corals to the vortech dont open there polyps cause of the too much flow

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had issues with wetsides and thay sent a replacement part overnight both times. Someone always answers the phone and they are very helpful. Pricey pumps...yes...but worth every penny IMO.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, had a bearing issue. Overall happy though...

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed all of the recommendations in eggie's post and couldn't for the life of me get the Vortechs to work reliably. That said, my tank does seem to have a fairly high calcium deposit build up rate. Not sure why... maybe a Ca, Alk imbalance or something.

I think that the Vortechs are just more suceptible to calcium deposit buildup than other powerheads. They're more finnicky and they require more maintenance. At the very least the consequences of a locked shaft are much worse than with a standard powerhead... i.e.: the wetside comes off and you can have damage on the inside of your tank.

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 problem with mine, something with the impeller didnt seem like it fit correctly. Like everyone said great customer service, got my wet side fixed and now works perfect. Been running with it for about 6 months now.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed all of the recommendations in eggie's post and couldn't for the life of me get the Vortechs to work reliably. That said, my tank does seem to have a fairly high calcium deposit build up rate. Not sure why... maybe a Ca, Alk imbalance or something.

I think that the Vortechs are just more suceptible to calcium deposit buildup than other powerheads. They're more finnicky and they require more maintenance. At the very least the consequences of a locked shaft are much worse than with a standard powerhead... i.e.: the wetside comes off and you can have damage on the inside of your tank.

I clean mines weekly if I show you a one year vortech pic you will not belive me it looks new even my glasses dont get coralline I dont let it come out

yeiraspictures047.jpg

Cleaning Is part of maintnence in the Vortech it will get any deposite of algae or coralline so cleaning is a must

Whats the problem with yours ? I could try and help you out
Have you ever open the wet side ?
Have you clean it with 50/50 water and vinegar ?

OP
OP
C

CaneinBatonRouge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread responses thus far. I do have a question. It has been mentioned a couple of times now about "not cranking it up". Why is that? That seems like having a Corvette, but only driving it 30mph. If you can't crank it up, then what's the use in having it?
I know that the problems experienced from the La. reef club seem to be centered around a bearing. So far, those that have replaced it haven't had any other problems.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with mine, but it was one of the first generation ones, so, eh, I guess I wasn't surprised. Still lov it. Even bought a second one :D

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is gorgeous, BTW!

I clean mines weekly if I show you a one year vortech pic you will not belive me it looks new even my glasses dont get coralline I dont let it come out

yeiraspictures047.jpg

Cleaning Is part of maintnence in the Vortech it will get any deposite of algae or coralline so cleaning is a must

Whats the problem with yours ? I could try and help you out
Have you ever open the wet side ?
Have you clean it with 50/50 water and vinegar ?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back