Vortech pumps

Have you had problems with your vortech?

• YES

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • NO

Votes: 47 62.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eggie your tank is beautiful! :)

I had a minor issue but it was due to it needing to be cleaned. You have to take time and perform maintenance on things like this for them to last you and run at optimal performance. Heck someone even said you have to change your oil on your car too but I don't know about that one. :D

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean mines weekly if I show you a one year vortech pic you will not belive me it looks new even my glasses dont get coralline I dont let it come out

Cleaning Is part of maintnence in the Vortech it will get any deposite of algae or coralline so cleaning is a must

Whats the problem with yours ? I could try and help you out
Have you ever open the wet side ?
Have you clean it with 50/50 water and vinegar ?

Yes I opened up the wetside, soaked in vinegar overnight, carefully scraped off any build up, etc. I appreciate the help offer, but I've already been walked through the cleaning procedure several times with EcoTech on the phone.

Honestly though, if I spend $1000 on two pumps and a battery backup and it needs to be cleaned weekly, then I consider that a serious product defect.

Don't get me wrong, I really LOVE the concept of the Vortechs. I love the low profile, I love the low heat transfer and the flow dispersion is better/broader than the Tunzes. I also think that they probably work fine for many people. They just require too much maintenance for my tank. I also travel for a week to two weeks at a time, so I cannot afford the risk of a powerhead going out on me.

EcoTech seems to be a good company, so I may try them again on a future generation product, but for now I'm going with Tunze for reliability/robustness.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well to be fair My tank is 3/4 inch thick so that was kinda pushing it for the vortecs

I thought Vortech's were okay to use on 3/4" tanks? What issues would come from using it on that thick of a tank? Let me know as I have one on order and I have a 3/4" tank!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back