Vortech vs Gyre for Lagoon

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am in the process of planning my tank upgrade. I currently have a IM Nuvo 20. All softies and LPS with a few easy SPS mixed in. I run an MJ900 return and MP10 for flow. Single AI Prime 16 for light.

I have been exploring getting the Waterbox 105 Frag tank. It's an 80 gallon (48x24x16) display with a 24 gallon sump. I would plan a similar stocking to my current tank with lots of softies and LPS. Lagoon style...small islands, lots of swim room.

I have been debating flow options. Right now I run my single MP10 at 20% Lagoon in my Nuvo 20. The Frag is 24" front to back as opposed to my Nuvo that is only 12". I like my MP10, and am debating between getting 1 more and have 1 on each side, or going dual gyres.

The reason for debating the gyres, is the width if the tank. Only having a single MP10 on each side may not be enough to get good flow even for softies. The gyres being about 8" long and sending out a sheet of flow may be a better option.

So I wanted to ask....thoughts? Anyone have a similar setup, or tried both and settled on one? Other options?

Thanks!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote gyre. But that’s what I’m going with.

why?
well, the wider flow, the ability to create a “gyre” type flow with one pump. I’m going to use two 330s (went with Max spect) for my 4’ 120. So flow for days.

but I also went gyre because of its native ecosystem. I’m going hydros so I’ll be using the gyres in conjunction with my wave engine.

Just fits what I’m looking for with my tank. Also, the cost of what a single gyre could do vs what you’d need with traditional pumps like ecotech’s.

nothing wrong with ecotech. Just doesn’t fit what I’m looking for as far as function as well as I’m a poor boy lol

TheSuspiciousFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that gyres are the only way to create real flow in a lagoon If you're using a substrate. I use a gyre on one side and a small jaboa nero 3 knockoff on the other side and it seems to work pretty well creating random flow without moving the substrate

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote gyre. But that’s what I’m going with.

why?
well, the wider flow, the ability to create a “gyre” type flow with one pump. I’m going to use two 330s (went with Max spect) for my 4’ 120. So flow for days.

but I also went gyre because of its native ecosystem. I’m going hydros so I’ll be using the gyres in conjunction with my wave engine.

Just fits what I’m looking for with my tank. Also, the cost of what a single gyre could do vs what you’d need with traditional pumps like ecotech’s.

nothing wrong with ecotech. Just doesn’t fit what I’m looking for as far as function as well as I’m a poor boy lol
Makes sense. I am looking for a Lagoon.

Money wise though an MP10 and Gyre 330 are about the same cost.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that gyres are the only way to create real flow in a lagoon If you're using a substrate. I use a gyre on one side and a small jaboa nero 3 knockoff on the other side and it seems to work pretty well creating random flow without moving the substrate
I have been leaning towards gyre, but I like my Vortech too. I just don't think an MP 10 could give flow 48" out and 24" wide. I feel I would need 4....2 on each end and that's twice the cost if 2 gyres.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I am looking for a Lagoon.

Money wise though an MP10 and Gyre 330 are about the same cost.

well yeah, a 330 would be overkill for your tank.

for my 120 though it’s more reasonable. Dealing with mp40s and or 60s at this point

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go with a gyre. I use mp40s in my nem tank, but also use gyres. My macro lagoon is 100% gyre. Only pumps that would run a wide path of water from one end to the other of a 7’ tank and not rip up the gorgs or macros.

TheSuspiciousFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been leaning towards gyre, but I like my Vortech too. I just don't think an MP 10 could give flow 48" out and 24" wide. I feel I would need 4....2 on each end and that's twice the cost if 2 gyres.
Yup, my friend uses 2 gyres on his 80 and it works great too, he bought the icecap one with the single controller so it runs patterns together. It's the price of one mp10 and does the whole job.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is considered the best gyre pumps? So many reviews for gyres are aweful...break easy, bad controlability, connection issues, short working life, etc.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back