Wall Coral

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. So, I want to cover the back glass of my tank with some sort of coral. I am looking for inspiration!

I have seen people use what looks like mushrooms. I have seen green star polyps. I have seen wall hammers.

Photos VERY Welcome!! I am looking for something that will grow on the back glass fairly quickly.

Please give me some guidance and suggestions, and as mentioned photos would be very helpful!!

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen Green Star Polyps and Cyphastrea covering the rear glass panes of tanks, and it can look really nice. I don't have experience with doing it myself, but I'm a fan of those two corals being back there. If you look at earlier videos that Dutch Reefer uploaded to YouTube, he has encrusting Montipora and some others on his rear glass.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp0F-VR6fG67yvmTYwAiqjQ

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is to go with green star polyps.
I have them on both overflows and love the movement it has with dueling wave makers.
Visitors comment on the gsp more then the high end pieces. It’s a crowd pleaser.
Grows fast, it’s easy, not expensive...just super glue it on!
image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
PaulPerger

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is to go with green star polyps.
I have them on both overflows and love the movement it has with dueling wave makers.
Visitors comment on the gsp more then the high end pieces. It’s a crowd pleaser.
Grows fast, it’s easy, not expensive...just super glue it on!
image.jpg image.jpg

This looks awesome! Do you have an FTS?

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure GSP stays on the back glass and doesnt jump to your rockwork. If you dont control and trim when needed, it will take over your entire tank. Also, even though the Dutch reefer in the video above says that GSP only grows up towards the light, that has not been the case from my experience. It grows in all directions. You really need to stay on it and trim when needed. I use a glass scraper, you can trim carpets of this stuff with it, very clean.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEAUTIFUL! So, two questions:
1. How did you get it to grow on your glass?
2. How long did it take to cover that much glass?

The frag was simply leaned up against the wall. There is a large Favites below that may have encouraged it to grow upwards. Also there is a lot of spill over light from the LED that hits this wall.

This represents at least 2 years of growth.

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on putting some kind of tabling acro on on side of the back wall and jedi mind trick on the other side.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back