Wall Hammer care

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard this a few times lately. Over a decade ago, I had a wall hammer that grew from 3" to over 8" skeleton length in a couple of years. A tank wipeout took him down, but it took everything... he wasn't particularly susceptible.

I used to hear the same thing about goniopora... impossible to keep. Look around... many seem to have figured it out :)

As for wall hammers... I don't consider them any more challenging than any other fleshy LPS. Mine are doing great :)

GreenWall.jpg

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two wall hammers locally yesterday and I noticed this today:

IMG_4135.JPG.jpeg

It's been like that since the acclimation process. Either I did something wrong or it got injured on the way back home. Will this heal?

I keep reading that wall hammers always die and it always starts off like mine in the picture with the skeleton showing. That concerns me. Why do wall hammers have such a high mortality rate? What is so different about them?

Probably it is because infections or damage aren't so easily isolated as with branching.

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My branching Hammer corals aren't doing so well , because I think my calcium is to high , like at 520, but getting a Salifert test kit to know for sure , I don't like the API test kits.
Hmm, I didn’t realize that too much calcium could cause problems? Mine is just under 500. I’m having problems with two of my hammers also. Maybe I need to let the calcium level fall back some. ??

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have calcium near 500 ppm as well.. its does not hurt corals at all, I have read many posts by Randy that calcium that high does not affect anything negatively. Everything in my tank is just fine with it that high. Its from the high calcium in my Reef Crystals. So when i run out of my box im going to switch to Fritz because i hate Reef crystals high calcium and alk

Mena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is uploading to YouTube: [LINK] It's uploading now (will likely have to render) and should be available in the morning. It's been a long day and I need to hit the hay. Video should be viewable in the morn.

What you'll see:
  1. It's large (12-18 inches)
  2. It almost did not fit through the top of the tank.
  3. A Dremmel was used to score the beast (note safety glasses, but I guess I was not wearing respirator - - bad example)
  4. A hammer and chisel were used to separate the frags
  5. Through the clear tub, you see me dip the frag in a small tan tub of iodine water
Wow, I know this is old but you sir had a wall hammer TREE! Very nice.

Niteowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is uploading to YouTube: [LINK] It's uploading now (will likely have to render) and should be available in the morning. It's been a long day and I need to hit the hay. Video should be viewable in the morn.

What you'll see:
  3. A Dremmel was used to score the beast (note safety glasses, but I guess I was not wearing respirator - - bad example)
  5. Through the clear tub, you see me dip the frag in a small tan tub of iodine water
Truly awesome.

Mena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, yesterday I had another large basketball sized walk hammer that was just too big for the DT and had to frag it. Here are some pre-cut pics. About 12” across.

69E717F1-1989-4ECD-BF1A-B83FCDE0CD85.jpeg D2A0BF36-F423-4065-ACA6-24D15FA8D5DF.jpeg B3F7A0D8-CEB3-4E31-8201-B4AD29CC9050.jpeg
Truly amazing. I am trying to start a euphillia garden in my tank and have several branching hammers and 1 wall hammer. I hope one day I have your skills with them.

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What you'll see:
Insane. Wow amazing

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two wall hammers locally yesterday and I noticed this today:

IMG_4135.JPG.jpeg

It's been like that since the acclimation process. Either I did something wrong or it got injured on the way back home. Will this heal?

I keep reading that wall hammers always die and it always starts off like mine in the picture with the skeleton showing. That concerns me. Why do wall hammers have such a high mortality rate? What is so different about them?
What are your water parameters ?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back