Wall Hammer changing to a dull color

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a wall hammer in my tank, that has been doing well so far (fingers crossed). However, I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that there's a section of it turning like a dull gray color. Anyone know why?

Par is about 130
Salinity 34
Phosphate was high (0.38) but dosing NoPox and it's at 0.12 this morning. Taking that slowly.
Nitrates were 40, but with nopox now about 8
Alk 8.5
Calcium 450
Magnesium 1360
pH 7.9-8.1

I dose KZ LPS aminos and coral vitalizer, sometimes pellets and ab+, but rarely. I feed reef roids once a week on water change day.

Any thoughts?

20210730_100839.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I despise euphyllia on the sand which easily irritate ms them. Kiss of coke is an indicator in many cases that it’s not generating enough zooxanthelle which produces its color and overall stamina. Generally too much or too by little light or water flow will be a cause
Assure temperature and salinity is not elevated

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not certain that you have any problem? These lps seem to (sometimes) change their colors as they adapt to their new system.

The reduction in nutrients in the water may also impact the corals situation, so Keep in mind that higher numbers are not always a bad thing.

NAH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience euphyllia seem to do better with slightly elevated nitrate. I have also heard wallhammers tend to be more sensitive to parameter changes..either way Its a nice specimen, good luck!

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I despise euphyllia on the sand which easily irritate ms them. Kiss of coke is an indicator in many cases that it’s not generating enough zooxanthelle which produces its color and overall stamina. Generally too much or too by little light or water flow will be a cause
Assure temperature and salinity is not elevated
Thanks for your reply on this. I have noticed that it seems to be "dull" now about half way through the body.

The last time I measured PAR, it was sitting at 150, which I thought was acceptable to euphylia. My lights (2 AI 32 hds) are mounted about 12 inches above the water, and my lowest par is 100 on the corners of the tank on the sand, and then about 120-150 on the rest of the sand. On the rocks it's 180-300, and that's where my nems are... so changing lighting intensity is always a little concerning. This particular hammer is in that 150 area.

Would you suggest doing anything to the lighting that would maybe improve the coloration of this coral? Or am I just over thinking it and let it do its thing and monitor for other stress indications? Not sure.

My salinity and temp are stable. 34 salinity, 77.5 degrees temp. Flow seems perfect for it. I would be ok putting it on a rock somewhere but I don't really have any rock space that is less than 130.

I also have some acans in the 130 range, and they seem to be shrinking up. I'm wondering if maybe they're getting too much light. My thought based on all of this was I could rent another PAR meter, and then maybe lower my lights, but increase intensity? To keep the high(er) par on the rocks, and get down to the 80s on the sand?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for your reply on this. I have noticed that it seems to be "dull" now about half way through the body.

The last time I measured PAR, it was sitting at 150, which I thought was acceptable to euphylia. My lights (2 AI 32 hds) are mounted about 12 inches above the water, and my lowest par is 100 on the corners of the tank on the sand, and then about 120-150 on the rest of the sand. On the rocks it's 180-300, and that's where my nems are... so changing lighting intensity is always a little concerning. This particular hammer is in that 150 area.

Would you suggest doing anything to the lighting that would maybe improve the coloration of this coral? Or am I just over thinking it and let it do its thing and monitor for other stress indications? Not sure.

My salinity and temp are stable. 34 salinity, 77.5 degrees temp. Flow seems perfect for it. I would be ok putting it on a rock somewhere but I don't really have any rock space that is less than 130.

I also have some acans in the 130 range, and they seem to be shrinking up. I'm wondering if maybe they're getting too much light. My thought based on all of this was I could rent another PAR meter, and then maybe lower my lights, but increase intensity? To keep the high(er) par on the rocks, and get down to the 80s on the sand?
Add aminos such as Seachem fuel or ME aminos and Moderate light (not too blue or white- balance it) and assure flow is not excessive and feed mysis shrimp or plankton at least 2x per week

superwheat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not certain that you have any problem? These lps seem to (sometimes) change their colors as they adapt to their new system.

The reduction in nutrients in the water may also impact the corals situation, so Keep in mind that higher numbers are not always a bad thing.
this, sometimes it's just the coral adapting to the new environment. nutrients, flow , light and etc

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back