Wall Hammer Problem :(

  • Thread starter Thread starter JimCali75
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JimCali75

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2013
Messages
271
Reaction score
65
Location
Menifee CA USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Picked up this wallhammer last weekend. As you can tell its not opening fully. It was completely open at the fs and opened pretty nicely after a day in my tank. I figured it would improve as it adjusted but it's regressed. I have a Kessil a360w about 8" over the water running at about 60%.

Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5ppm
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.0
Kh 9.2
Ca 460
Mg 1000

Tank is about 4 months old. Hammer is a little more withdrawn because I just did a water change but still obviously has issues on that left side. Flow 1-10 10 being strong I'd say its in a 4. I do have a small flatworm issue. Small white ones on the glass. I'm going to treat for it. Not out of control yet but but I wanna nip it in the butt. Should I try a Lugols or Coral rx dip? I don't see and brown jelly disease. I noticed a couple red/brown stringy like things on it that would blow off easily. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hate to lose this one but I know walls are a little tricky.
 

Attachments

  • 1393207392171.jpg
    1393207392171.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 1393207409649.jpg
    1393207409649.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 174
I'll retest Mg.. would low Mg cause it to go down hill that fast?

Here's a pic of the flatworms
 

Attachments

  • 1393212405183.jpg
    1393212405183.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 149
Looks like an orange wall hammer, those typically have a low survival rate from what I've seen.
 
I'll dip it.. just need some input on whether to dip Lugols or Coral Rx? I don't want to stress it any more by dipping both.
 
I wouldn't dip the coral and hope for the best. I'd bet the coral had some skeleton showing when you got it? And was already going downhill? Then, again, it might just die quickly, but stressing it out more isn't going to help. Do you have it under real bright lights? I see it's on the bottom, but how bright are your lights?

The clear flatworms (Amphiscolops) aren't going to hurt anything. But I'd still siphon out any out in the open when doing water changes.
 
Looked good when I got it as far as I could tell. It's at the bottom of a 60g cube so around 30" bellow a Kessil 360 turned up about 60%.
 
Now I'm thinking the opposite. They like medium light and moderate flow. Try moving it up some. 30" is low light.
 
I can see the tentacles withdrawn on the left side. The entire coral looks that way when the lights come on. Just that the left side doesn't open. :(
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new