Walt Disney Tenuis Grow-Out Thread

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, if I missed this already, but do you have any pics of these gorgeous WD corals under your daylight lighting? It would be helpful for reference.

This is royal blue light.

Will you guys all get same color, absolutely not. Will different lighting/intensity and water parameter change the color? Yes! This is not a digitada. So if you are not on your SPS A game, reconsider the challenge.

Can 95% of people take a picture under royal blue lighting. No! So, all those crappy pics you see, there is a reason for it.

Can many of people take a pic in T-5, yes. That is not how this coral looks best.

Enjoy

Feel free to ask me questions. I have grown this 4 years now.

NU2REEFIN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky enough to win one of Mikes Facebook raffles and received my frag a few weeks ago with 0 problems. It is about 1/2" tall and has started to encrust. Right now it is a blue body with bright yellow polyps. I can absolutely see the potential with this one!!!! I have it under a 6 bulb 36" ATI with reefbrites to supplement.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any picture?
Thanks

Will get some after work, thx.

Its been well over a month, where are those pictures?!!! Can't wait to see them. This is an exciting thread to follow.

It would be cool to see your frag under different lighting schemes. If you can do that and share, it would be very, very informative. Looking forward to your pics!!!

And thanks for going through the process of documenting your frags growth and coloration.

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there are pictures out there on daylight lighting (just need to spend time looking for them). No they don't look as good as the gorgeous WD pictures under royal blue light color. This is likely not a coral one that don't have royal blues in their tank would want to invest on.
As far as most of we know there is nobody with a colony that looks like the original.
With that out of the way let's talk update: it has been about 2 weeks that I have my frag in my tank. I usually keep the frags on low light and gradually bring them up (2 inches weekly). The blue tip faded a little and the coral is more green. The polyps continue orange, and the tip one vibrant fluorescent green (but I usually only see it after lights are gone). I am not too concerned about the blue or the green (those I am pretty sure my system can bring up), is the pink that I am more unsure about (although I do have some vibrant reds in my tank).

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there are pictures out there on daylight lighting (just need to spend time looking for them). No they don't look as good as the gorgeous WD pictures under royal blue light color. This is likely not a coral one that don't have royal blues in their tank would want to invest on.
As far as most of we know there is nobody with a colony that looks like the original.
With that out of the way let's talk update: it has been about 2 weeks that I have my frag in my tank. I usually keep the frags on low light and gradually bring them up (2 inches weekly). The blue tip faded a little and the coral is more green. The polyps continue orange, and the tip one vibrant fluorescent green (but I usually only see it after lights are gone). I am not too concerned about the blue or the green (those I am pretty sure my system can bring up), is the pink that I am more unsure about (although I do have some vibrant reds in my tank).

Here is to the truth. Nobody's will ever look like the original photoshopped picture.

But as to yours, sorry to hear about the color change. The tip of mine remains vibrant blue and the polyps are a mixture of orange and yellow. It is very similar to my Orange Passions but the top polyp is almost a bright green or yellow.

Its been well over a month, where are those pictures?!!! Can't wait to see them. This is an exciting thread to follow.

It would be cool to see your frag under different lighting schemes. If you can do that and share, it would be very, very informative. Looking forward to your pics!!!

And thanks for going through the process of documenting your frags growth and coloration.

Sorry lol. I have been busy but will get on it right now. Gonna make a few frags from my other frags so I will take a few, hopefully, good shots.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its-friday-not-w6z6l3.jpg

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But as to yours, sorry to hear about the color change. The tip of mine remains vibrant blue and the polyps are a mixture of orange and yellow. It is very similar to my Orange Passions but the top polyp is almost a bright green or yellow.

That is fine, IME some frags get more green with low light and more blue as they go up. Although I run two 8x54W, my tank is 31" high, and the frag is about 4 inches from the bottom. So, there is still a few weeks to go until it is getting descent light.
If you have time take a look at the PM I sent you a few days ago. Thanks.

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture Update.

Here is my WD Frag in blue with white lighting and an all blue lighting. As you can see, I am JUST about to get some encrusting on the plug. The frag grew nicely upwards over the last few weeks with new polys on the very top rim and in the lower rim in which you can barely see in the pictures. The opposite side of the frag is where the encrusting is just about to touch.

Approximate size 7/8th's of an inch.
_MG_4615.jpg
_MG_4629.jpg

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture Update.

Here is my WD Frag in blue with white lighting and an all blue lighting. As you can see, I am JUST about to get some encrusting on the plug. The frag grew nicely upwards over the last few weeks with new polys on the very top rim and in the lower rim in which you can barely see in the pictures. The opposite side of the frag is where the encrusting is just about to touch.

Approximate size 7/8th's of an inch.
_MG_4615.jpg
_MG_4629.jpg
Looks good man. I'm sure you already said it and I missed it but what lighting are you running?

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good man. I'm sure you already said it and I missed it but what lighting are you running?

Thanks! I actually do not think I ever mentioned my lightning lol.

I run a Elos E-Lite Blue with two AI Hydra's connected through a Manta Ray bracket.

So let me explain. I had the Elos metal halides (E-Powers) connected to each end of the Manta Ray. I was worried because my corals were already used to my AI Hydras. So when moving tanks I ended up swapping over my AI Hydras.

I started with black AI Hydra's and painted them to match the bracket coloration. I then went to Ace Hardware and fabricated some fitting to fit the bracket.

Here was the mini-project.
20150509_133806.jpg
20150512_135204.jpg
20150512_192753.jpg
20150512_192857.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light looks pretty sweet.

Bokevince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!
Love your lights and of course your WD!
Do you have a picture of your all tank?
Tks

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!
Love your lights and of course your WD!
Do you have a picture of your all tank?
Tks
Sure thing ;) I am no camera pro but here you go.

I uploaded them backwards.

No name acro.
_MG_4589 (4).jpg

ORA Tri Color Valida
_MG_4592.jpg

No name Digitata
_MG_4593.jpg

No name Acropora. My first SPS acro. I call it Dr. Seuss
_MG_4594.jpg

ORA Bali Slimer
_MG_4595.jpg

Grafted Montipora Caps. Believe it or not, I got these as frag plugs.
20150924_215650.jpg
IMG_4501.jpg

Unknown Torch. The mouth is super neon green.
IMG_4529.jpg

I am working on the light wires at the moment so that is why some were down.
IMG_4633.jpg
IMG_4634.jpg
IMG_4635.jpg
IMG_4639.jpg
IMG_4640.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back