want to build a light now:

donalds fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest part about all of this for me is knowing anything useful about electricity. The aquarium is 36" long and 12" front-to-back. I would like to make a hood that could power four 36" t5 HO bulbs. What kind of ballast do I need? Can I make the hood out of wood, or does it have to be metal of some kind? If you had room for only four bulbs, which ones would you use? Would it be possible to stuff more than four bulbs in a space that was 12" across?

I've read a lot of stuff, but some less overwhelming recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to use wood and seal it. Then you could go with DIY Retro kit. Bulk reef supply has them with and without ballast. If you want to over drive the bulbs get a coral vue 660 or an icecap 660. They are the same but the coral vue is a newer unit after icecap went out of business. I would use ati bulbs a aqua blue special, 2x blue plus and a purple plus or kHz Fiji purple.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a bunch about wiring, but it seems retrofit is more expensive. I would buy a fixture on eBay if I were you.

OP
OP
D

donalds fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, thanks for your input! i decided to buy a lamp instead because i found one for less than $100. it's got 4 36' t5 bulbs, two of which are actinic. i've got the daylight bulbs on for 6 hours in the middle of the day and i turn the actinics on/off when i wake up/go to bed. everything is happy!

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i built mine for my 180 .. it has 12 t5 bulbs .. i went with the work horse 7 ballast .. end caps are shunted .. then i built my own reflectors .. cost me under 200 for everything inc bulbs ..

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 34.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back