Want to get a predator tank again

MarvelousMarvins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!
I had a couple fresh water tanks growing up and a 150 gallon saltwater tank in college.
I had a couple triggers, a Lion, a snowflake eel and a couple other assorted fish, sand and liverock
Im not going to order a tank today but I am starting the research to figure things out so I can order and get a tank started soon and once all levels are established ordering some fish I really want.

3 things that interest me for a tank but I know odds are aren't for me but Id still rather ask the experts
1). Octopus - don't worry I know all the issues with getting them, short life span etc so I will not be getting one but they are amazing creatures
2). Stingray - Id love one but don't know how good of a fit it would be for me and what I want to include in a tank
3). Marble/Coral Catshark. Looks like a great option but Id like to learn more.

OK I want something simple, perhaps just some sand and some live rock. Id love to have an eel for sure! My snowflake did well beyond that I am pretty open!
I do not want to get into corals as I know lots of the fish I like will eat them.

My budget is pretty open (around 5K ideally for complete tank not including fish, rock, sand etc but can spend more if its worth it)
I am going to be putting it in our finished basement (so I don't have to. worry about weight)
I could easily fit a 250 gallon tank. Ive been looking at the RedSea and Waterbox as I kinda want something complete out of the box but am open to suggestions and ideas.

Thank you very much!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharks and rays are not my fote, but 250g and a 5k budget is a little light. As far as an octopus, a species tank specifically designed for their care is a must.

OP
OP
M

MarvelousMarvins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I figured Octo would not be wise and had pretty much ruled it out already.
5K is light for 250? How much am I looking at just for tank, filters, lights?
Who makes good turn key tanks? Red Sea? Waterbox?
I want to do this right, not cut corners. The better the equipment the better the tank runs

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't keep an octopus with sharks, rays or eels

For stingrays id recommend atleast a 300 gallon that's low and wide. Your probably need it custom made but something like 6ftx4ftx18in would be perfect

I wouldnt put any shark even the smallest species in less than 600g. They just get way too big.

Morays are great options that don't need huge tanks as long as you stay away from the giants like tessalata and green morays. Triggers, puffers, and angels are also good tank mates that can go in a 180-260g with them

OP
OP
M

MarvelousMarvins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that is the direction I thought would be best, just needed to hear it from people with more experience than I have. Thank you for confirming my thoughts.
As cool as a shark or Stingray would be, I do not want something that will outgrow the tank or be too confined.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that is the direction I thought would be best, just needed to hear it from people with more experience than I have. Thank you for confirming my thoughts.
As cool as a shark or Stingray would be, I do not want something that will outgrow the tank or be too confined.
Yeah sharks just need a ton of space, even the smallest ones still get about 3ft long. Rays can be done with resonable sized tanks but they need to be custom made to give them as much sand bed and swimming room as possible and they do well in shallow waters so it works.

OP
OP
M

MarvelousMarvins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on a turn key tank?
Would RedSea or Waterbox work or are these really more for a reef and don't supply strong enough filters and all for an aggressive tank?

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For rays on that budget, I might consider a big wide low plastic tub (eg rubbermaid or farm supply) with a sandy bottom. You won't be able to see them from the side like you would with a glass tank, but the fun of rays is being able to look down and pet them. Could keep some sand-dwelling inverts maybe too. You'd not need to spend a bunch on lighting either, just natural light and maybe a couple FW lights. Definitely would need strong filtration. If you're into DIY; it seems very doable on a reasonable budget since their requirements are so different from other fish.

EDITG: thinking more about it, could you repurpose like a kids pool? It's shallow with swimming room.... Ah; that sounds like such a fun project now I want one.

But take my advice with a bucket of salt; I've never kept rays.

OP
OP
M

MarvelousMarvins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know those types of things are an option but I want a tank I can stare into at night and be proud to show friends. I think my wife would shoot me if I did the rubbermaid tanks in our house LOL. Id have to tuck them away in a room of their own where no one would see or enjoy them.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know those types of things are an option but I want a tank I can stare into at night and be proud to show friends. I think my wife would shoot me if I did the rubbermaid tanks in our house LOL. Id have to tuck them away in a room of their own where no one would see or enjoy them.
I'd be pretty proud of a pool with rays. Could call it a "tidepool tank" or "beach biome" or something fancy like that. Put a nice-looking stand around the outside, so you don't see the black plastic from the room.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get a ray and shark you should definitely focus on a tank that’s shallower but has a lot of space front to back. Similar to a lagoon style tank. You’ll also want very fine sand with open areas for the ray and shark to swim

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah; I got it! Set up your tank with a 600 gallon stock tank low to the ground on one side of the living room:

1631314893772.png

Now cover the outside of the tub with teak or bamboo and line the inside with dry rock and put sand on the bottom. You won't even see the plastic. Then add 2 Tiki torches burning next to it, some plastic hula dancers around he rim and a palm tree or two in pots next to the tank. If you have a hardwood floor, cover the floor with sand. If you have a carpet, rip up the carpet before adding the sand. Net to it, put a bar with a driftwood sign and only serve Mai Tais.

Imagine lounging next to the tank in a hawaiian shirt and swimsuit and petting your stingrays while a snowstorm is raging just outside your window.

OP
OP
M

MarvelousMarvins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UGH
I can't go over 80 in long as the door to my basement is only 80 in tall and the stairs are immediately to the right so not much wiggle room.

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Australia some pet shops sell banded Sand cat shark (Atelomycterus fasciatus) that grow up to 45cm. They are found around western Australia I think. Not sure if they have them in America but their minimum tank size is 150 gallons so that could be an option.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back