Wanted Acrylic supplier suggestions

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for who I could check out for some acrylic sheet, want to be able to order cut to size with routed edge for gluing. Tapplastics I know of, anyone else?

I am a DIY guy and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to build a tank, especially since it will be inwall and I can hide the seems if needed :)

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the person that cuts and routs the acrylic should be the same person to glue the acrylic.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the issue is that you will need some of the panels cut larger than needed, then you router off the excess.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the issue is that you will need some of the panels cut larger than needed, then you router off the excess.
I have a table router and the correct bit, but want the routed edge as it is best for glue compared to just laser cut.

Edit see you know better than I would by experience. I have built small frag tanks but now want to do a 187g

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a table router and the correct bit, but want the routed edge as it is best for glue compared to just laser cut.

Edit see you know better than I would by experience. I have built small frag tanks but now want to do a 187g

that would be huge to maneuver on a table router, but a hand router would work. forget about lasers for anything that needs to be welded. cnc router is the way to go. the front, back, too and bottom would need to be slightly bigger than needed, then router off the rest after welding. we have a big acrylic thread here where you can read more about good brands and thicknesses and such.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how is this helpful?

There are plastic suppliers that cut and edge finish that do not do assembly. Not sure what your point is.
I apologize for the lack of clarity in my post. I was hoping to be helpful by trying to dissuade you from going down a road of needless risk. I wouldn't trust the edges of any acrylic that has been cut, routed, and shipped. Acrylic is heavy and the chance of edge damage during shipping is high ( i buy acrylic all the time). I think the same person should do the cutting, routing, and gluing because they can better monitor the quality of the routing and cutting. On something as large as what you are proposing I just wouldn't trust acrylic being prepped by an outside source. Too big of a risk for my taste.

Last edited:
OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the lack of clarity in my post. I was hoping to be helpful by trying to dissuade you from going down a road of needless risk. I wouldn't trust the edges of any acrylic that has been cut, routed, and shipped. Acrylic is heavy and the chance of edge damage during shipping is high ( i buy acrylic all the time). I think the same person should do the cutting, routing, and gluing because they can better monitor the quality of the routing and cutting. On something as large as what you are proposing I just wouldn't trust acrylic being prepped by an outside source. Too big of a risk for my taste.
Thanks definitely something to keep in mind.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a cnc router with a 109"×76" cut area. What material and panel sizes do you want? I could ship flat to you and you assemble. Built thousands of tanks as a business for over 30 years.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for who I could check out for some acrylic sheet, want to be able to order cut to size with routed edge for gluing. Tapplastics I know of, anyone else?
I am a DIY guy and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to build a tank, especially since it will be inwall and I can hide the seems if needed :)

Where are you located?
There are a few national plastic suppliers that can supply you sheets of cell cast acrylic.
Here in Austin I use Regal Plastics.
The thinner stuff I can route the edges myself and they dont charge much to do the cuts.
If it is 1/2 or thicker, I dont have the equipment. For that,I have them route the pieces on a CNC machine. Those edges are just fine for bonding. In fact if you are using sci-grip #40 or any other thick mixture for the seams you will have to hit the edges with #400 wet dry sand paper. This gives the #40 a good surface to bond.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back