Wanted to Introduce Myself and My 75 Gallon

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone at R2R. My name is Chris and this is my humble 75 gallon aquarium. I started my first saltwater tank in June of 2014, a 29gallon, which I wouldn't call the greatest success but I still got a lot of enjoyment out of the tank. So for Christmas 2015, my parents offered to buy me a 75 gallon aquarium which I established in January of 2016. For the first year I didn't really have the success I was hoping for. Every new SPS coral I bought would survive for about two months and then RTN out of the blue and I even lost some corals that had been in my 29 gallon after a bad hair/bubble algae outbreak.
So earlier this year I started to focus more on increasing my microfauna populations in the refugium and DSB in the display tank along with adding a sulfur doped aragonite "brick" to increase denitrification. I stopped using filter socks/polyfiber and all chemical filtration and started dosing carbon regularly. I'm finally seeing the success I had been looking for the entire first year and couldn't be happier with the results. I've recently started adding some small SPS "colonies" which are calcifying well and maintaining vibrant color and PE. And finally.....some pictures.

Salinity: 35ppt Alk: 8.5 Calc: 400 Mag: 1250 NO3: <5ppm PO4: 0.00ppm
20171026_095742-1.jpg

For fish I have a Tomini Tang and a pair of breeding clownfish. Display contains ~80lbs of Haitian rock and 4" deep sand bed.

20171026_083732_HDR.jpg

Refugium/Skimmer section of sump, first section is filled with ~15lbs of Haitian rock.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Chris to R2R. Tank looks great. Congrats on finding what works best for your tank. I'd suggest starting a Member's Tank thread to document the progression of your tank. Again, welcome.

OP
OP
ChrisOFL

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Chris to R2R. Tank looks great. Congrats on finding what works best for your tank. I'd suggest starting a Member's Tank thread to document the progression of your tank. Again, welcome.
Thanks, and I plan on making a thread once I get a chance to organize everything.
Welcome to R2R, Chris! Nice introduction. Nice looking tank as well. Glad you are finding success.
Thank you, it's a great feeling to finally see things growing
welcome to the club Chris. Your going to find a wealth of knowledge here. good luck!!
Thanks, glad to be here.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back