Wanting To Convert This Tank

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Guys! So I am new to reefing and have been learning a lot from threads and posting on here. My nano tanks are becoming exhausting and I want to convert my 50 gallon fresh water acrylic tank into a salt water aquarium. After selling my fresh water fish, Id like to know what you all suggest I would do to start this conversion. Sump build ideas, etc. I know I'll need to take it off of this antique sewing machine stand which is sadly really cool. I have been daydreaming about somehow making an Internal sump. Not sure how. Im up for full discussion. Thank you!!

IMG_9454.JPG

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idea: Use hob filters and powerheads. This way you can avoid the sump and keep the stand.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had drilled tanks with standalone sump and I have had HOB sumps. IMO drilling the tank and having a sump is a must. it makes life much easier. You never have to worry about developing an air bubble in the siphon. If planning correctly you never have to worry about flooding tank or sump. I like a sewing machine stand, but might not look the best if you go the way of a sump. You can keep all your equipment in there rather than HOB or in tank. You can also dramatically increase water volume which helps with stability.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a cool stand, I can see why you are hesitant to ditch it. I have a 56 gallon column and used a HOB Aqua Clear 50 as my filter for a few years. There are HOB fuges which could probably hide the heater. If you are skilled at DIY, you could add a plexiglass partition that turned the aquarium into an AIO. Of course that makes the display area smaller but if you use black plexiglass it hides all the wires and equipment.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of your input guys! Im gonna educate myself on sumps as my final decision to move the antique stand elsewhere in my home. I like the synergy brand so far. I dont have tools or space for diy which would be so much fun.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u r interested in internal sump and since it's acrylic, it'd be easy to drill w/o worry of cracking and then u can add/connect a hang-on-back sump directly into tank. then u can also keep the stand. BRS sells them like this

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u r interested in internal sump and since it's acrylic, it'd be easy to drill w/o worry of cracking and then u can add/connect a hang-on-back sump directly into tank. then u can also keep the stand. BRS sells them like this
I was just watching their videos on sumps! thank you this can be a good idea since im a beginner.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back