WARNING: DO NOT SEND MONEY TO PEOPLE ASKING LIKE THIS....

BRS

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Many people have been getting scammed by sending money to scammers reaching out via private message asking you to contact "so in so" via email or text because they have "what you're looking for." It goes something like this.

1. You're looking for an item to buy and post it in the WTB forum.
2. You get a message from someone saying to contact another person because they have what you're looking for.
3. They ask you to pay Paypal friends and family or some other unprotected way.

Please report these messages and DO NOT SEND THEM MONEY in any form especially Paypal friends and family or Venmo etc.

If you have any questions about a legitimate inquiry from a member please let us know and we can help. Thanks.

Tidal Gardens

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Is there anyway to set up the forum such that the same criteria used for the selling forum are used for the PM feature. I.e. unless a member reaches (whatever the rules are), they cannot PM another member (unless they are PM'd by the other member first?)

Canuck007

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I just got one of these scams....a guy with handle of "saltedben" told me he had a pump impeller and found me on WTB and told me to email his "friend" at "[email protected]" and we could talk further.

I looked up saltedben and he had been a member for 27 mins. Started to get suspicious and ask more questions and of course he started to respond less and wouldn't answer my questions.

AS
Tidal Gardens

fulltang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just a general note, the "friends and family" PayPal scams are extremely prevalent across many community market places, even really obscure ones on places like Reddit and other niche hobby forums.

Tidal Gardens 4th Sale 3
BRS

How close to perfect, for you, is your reef aquarium?

• IT'S PERFECT NOW

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • It's getting close

Votes: 60 14.6%
  • It's about half way there

Votes: 75 18.2%
  • It's slow but progressing

Votes: 125 30.4%
  • It's not even close

Votes: 124 30.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.7%