Warning: Use Vibrant at your own risk

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UWC this week when they receive the independent lab results showing Vibrant is Algaefix.

shocked steve harvey GIF

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,

The 'bacteria blend' stuff was already discussed in the 2 other threads. In 1 of the threads, UWC admitted there wasn't bacteria in it. They said the chemical was made by bacteria, and the bacteria was filtered out.

Taricha also centrifuged 10 mLs of Vibrant, and there was no visible amount of cells at the bottom of the test tube.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reach out to some of your local colleges with Chem departments. They might have an NMR and a grad student that will help you for a small donation to their department. If you do this, have them open the sealed bottle.

It is like a bottle of fine wine... What vintage should we test? I'm still not clear how long the shelf life is and neither is the product creator.

Goes into the wine fridge and pulls out a bottle of 2016 Ovid, Napa Valley. I know what is in it and it only gets better with age.

'Slainte

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s extremely funny that some people still don’t think this company is lying
Could also be on a professional level some don't want to come right out and say it knowing that at the end of the day testing will be provided and there's no way getting around the results.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very interesting subject in general - the idea of algicide derived from bacteria. In my research to understand more, I found this. Maybe some of the science guys want to comment - as I barely understand more than it seems relevant in some way. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5577602/

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is my take as well. Which really says two things for me if that is the case. 1. The label is pretty useless in helping anyone understand what is in the bottle. 2. I am willing to bet that UWC gets this "blend" from a third party and then mixes in those other ingredients and this is why the product was labelled this way. Put in X ml of the purchased special sauce. Add other ingredients. Top off with RODI. As I stated in the livestream last night - this is one plausible explanation still remaining outside of flat out deceit - it is one of the reasons I asked craig about this particular thing.
What has also been mentioned is how clear the product is, which doesn't seam to coincide with a bacterial blend.

Maybe someone can post up a photo, I don't recall seeing one in either thread.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it doesn’t. It says 95% of that bottle of vibrant contains a solution of a bacteria blend.

That blend can have an infinite amount of different percentages. It could be 20% bacteria and 80% others.

The term “95% BLEND” makes it impossible to guess the true composition of the product. Because 95% of vibrant has a blend of an unknown composition.

This is 100% true. Oil manufacturers have been doing it for decades.
Pro tip: If you're buying a "synthetic blend", you are wasting your money.

Hey, while we're at it, why don't we start down the road of organically approved pesticides!

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in today. Integrity and pride taken in goods or services provided are being eclipsed by greed and the almighty dollar. Kudos to @taricha for all of the work you've done.
If only there were more of us dedicated (and smart enough) to go to these kinds of lengths and keep companies honest.
It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m being serious though. I can hit the 3 lfs up in my area and pick up a bottle. Have enough store credit I will never use or take forever to us that it is no issue. For the testing, can’t be any worse then me wasting a weekend dyno tuning turbo Volvos lol.
I need pics of these Volvo. I went from 6 to midnight in 3 seconds reading that

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

As everyone knows Vibrant has been wildly popular. We stand by Vibrant 100% and we are not taking these accusations lightly.

At this time, we have samples of Vibrant out to Labs for independent certified testing dating back to batches from 2016 to current to compare them to see if there have been any changes in the production of Vibrant.

We are hoping to have these results back by the end of this week and we will post everything that we have.

I know this post will not please everyone, but we want to have as much information as possible for the community before we make any official statements.

Thank you,
Jeff
UWC

Jeff,
I thought you guys did all the research, and produced this product… ;Blackeye

Did you guys pull lab results from day one?

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very interesting subject in general - the idea of algicide derived from bacteria. In my research to understand more, I found this. Maybe some of the science guys want to comment - as I barely understand more than it seems relevant in some way. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5577602/
Nothing to do with your post specifically, but
Craig mentioned something along the lines that there are few labs out there that would be capable of developing such a product.

How did this product come about to be distributed through what I'm guessing is a relatively small/local business in the aquarium world? I would think the developers would have approached much larger players. Unless UWC dreamed up the idea and funded the effort.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,

The 'bacteria blend' stuff was already discussed in the 2 other threads. In 1 of the threads, UWC admitted there wasn't bacteria in it. They said the chemical was made by bacteria, and the bacteria was filtered out.

Taricha also centrifuged 10 mLs of Vibrant, and there was no visible amount of cells at the bottom of the test tube.
Greg that came on Terece’s video said, that would be a nutty way to go to make an algaecide.

@Terence
We all know why Randy does not take PMs, he would be bombarded.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back