OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one year anniversary of the EPA inspection of the Vibrant facility passed on March 23, 2023. UWC became a registered pesticide producer on 5/19/2022. I cannot find any other public actions from the EPA, but do not know under what circumstances any would be made public.

The promised update from UWC never materialized.

I'm going to reopen this thread, but it will be closed again if it induces folks to violate the Reef2Reef terms of service.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the current status:

R2R has chosen to suspend the sponsorship from UWC based based on the concerns surrounding one of their products. UWC responded to let us know they understood why we had to take this action, but that they do intend to respond and clear things up as soon as they are able to work through their audits and related challenges.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like UWC hasn't been on the site in a year. Are they banned, or what is their status?

They are not presently banned.

No moderator makes banning decisions without consulting other moderators and administrators, but IMO, if they returned, Reef2Reef management would need to assess past statements of theirs against whatever explanations of those statements they provide in the future.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An interesting note is they are now a registered pesticide producer yet the bottle, descriptions, and all marketing is still the same with zero mention of them selling a known "pesticide"

I don't know the EPA rules and regulations but I would assume that if one is producing a pesticide of some kind, it needs to be mentioned on the label in some way.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like it could have very easily been avoided by simply labeling the bottle correctly in the first place. Many people have used Vibrant in their tanks with positive effects (me included). My issue with them is the obvious deceptive labeling and subsequent behavior when Randy exposed them. It sounds to me like they wanted to avoid using 'trigger' words such as 'pesticide' or 'algaecide', since those words cause some people to be turned off to the product and associate negative connotations to it even if it's exactly what's needed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An interesting note is they are now a registered pesticide producer yet the bottle, descriptions, and all marketing is still the same with zero mention of them selling a known "pesticide"

I don't know the EPA rules and regulations but I would assume that if one is producing a pesticide of some kind, it needs to be mentioned on the label in some way.
Yes - I mentioned this on another thread. The problem is the EPA's definition of a 'pesticide' - even a bacterial product is considered a 'pesticide' under their definition. So - my understanding is that the EPA did an audit/inspection, registered UWC as a pesticide producer - and thats it. I looked for any warning letter or results of the inspection - and besides the date of the inspection and no findings - I couldn't find any penalty, etc.

In other words - the fact that they are now listed as a 'pesticide producer' and had an EPA inspection does not help with the decision as to whether they their product contains an algae fix-like compound or not. I'm not saying it does or doesn't - just that I agree with you - that the marketing is still the same, and the product is still for sale despite the EPA inspection

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like it could have very easily been avoided by simply labeling the bottle correctly in the first place. Many people have used Vibrant in their tanks with positive effects (me included). My issue with them is the obvious deceptive labeling and subsequent behavior when Randy exposed them. It sounds to me like they wanted to avoid using 'trigger' words such as 'pesticide' or 'algaecide', since those words cause some people to be turned off to the product and associate negative connotations to it even if it's exactly what's needed.
This is true, however labeling the bottle correctly would have reduced sales as it would have identified the product as being the same as API Algae Fix at a higher price. In fact, I'd venture to say that if the bottle had been labeled correctly the product would have been discontinued due to poor sales by now. This is also the most likely reason that they have not changed the advertising or the product label to date.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whether they their product contains an algae fix-like compound or not. I'm not saying it does or doesn't
The compound in Algae fix is the same one that's in Vibrant, as proven by NMR. Why can't you say whether it does or doesn't?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot have fraud without dishonesty. Where is the fun in that? #tongueincheek

Don't forget about the time and cost needed to properly register a pesticide for resale.

What you can never explain or factor out of these type of deals is the rush of feeling important that some people have, even if their empire is built on a lie. This is not understandable to those of us who don't have this need.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uhhh someone else did all the work

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't anybody go down this rabbit hole of "bacteria is a pesticide." This is not relevant in this case whatsoever, even if it is true. There are multiple carbon and hydrogen NMR results as well as infrared analysis that show that Vibrant is Busan 77 - with analysis and conclusions by a few world-class chemists on this board. Case closed. Engaging in this stupidity will get this thread closed again. Just ignore this dude.

Beyond this, a company that had no hesitation to thump their chest and make threats now has disappeared completely (smart and likely part of an agreement or on advice of counsel). Similar EPA cases which involved jail time and fines require years for public disposition. Any reasonable person knows what is coming next.

The next time that we hear anything is if a settlement is reached with the MN district DA or if the case is going to trial - both of which should be public. EPA will report their final findings and punishment on their website similar to those posted on these threads with similar cases - these case are always after the final legal action, including appeal if no settlement.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't anybody go down this rabbit hole of "bacteria is a pesticide." This is not relevant in this case whatsoever, even if it is true. There are multiple carbon and hydrogen NMR results as well as infrared analysis that show that Vibrant is Busan 77 - with analysis and conclusions by a few world-class chemists on this board. Case closed.
Correct. In the case of Vibrant, there isn't measurable bacteria in it. If you put the stuff in a centrifuge, you can tell it isn't a bacterial culture, as there isn't pellet formed.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back