Warning: Use Vibrant at your own risk

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please don't anybody go down this rabbit hole of "bacteria is a pesticide." This is not relevant in this case whatsoever, even if it is true. There are multiple carbon and hydrogen NMR results as well as infrared analysis that show that Vibrant is Busan 77 - with analysis and conclusions by a few world-class chemists on this board. Case closed. Engaging in this stupidity will get this thread closed again. Just ignore this dude.

Beyond this, a company that had no hesitation to thump their chest and make threats now has disappeared completely (smart and likely part of an agreement or on advice of counsel). Similar EPA cases which involved jail time and fines require years for public disposition. Any reasonable person knows what is coming next.

The next time that we hear anything is if a settlement is reached with the MN district DA or if the case is going to trial - both of which should be public. EPA will report their final findings and punishment on their website similar to those posted on these threads with similar cases - these case are always after the final legal action, including appeal if no settlement.
Oh you're wrong. In fact - according to the US government - a pesticide is defined as xxxxxxxxxxx. UWC was not cited for a problem except they produce a pesticide. IMHO
they used the defined definition - and said - ok we're a pesticide. HOWEVER - this does not differentiate between a governmental definition - vs another

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct. In the case of Vibrant, there isn't measurable bacteria in it. If you put the stuff in a centrifuge, you can tell it isn't a bacterial culture, as there isn't pellet formed.
Just going to say - you're right - and then criticize your comment. Bacterial spores may not show. My guess is that its a spore issue

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should we all write a protest to the EPA - which as far as I can find on the internet - there were no violations - and they are using the same marketing? IDK - Serious question

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the end we can all agree that Vibrant is algaefix that isn't labeled and the EPA unfortunately probably has more important things to deal with at the moment and isn't at the time interested in enforcing the rules at this time.

Great!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given any mention of it being a bacterial product has been removed from the US Amazon listing, it seems the ship has sailed on the idea of prompting Amazon to punish them somehow.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given any mention of it being a bacterial product has been removed from the US Amazon listing, it seems the ship has sailed on the idea of prompting Amazon to punish them somehow.
Actually, the listing I saw claims "Vibrant is safe with all fish, corals and invertebrates." Isn't the actual ingredient categorized as molluscicidal? Aside from that, Amazon as a rule of thumb sides (for better or for worse) with their customers, not the manufacturers. In other words, their account can be suspended simply by receiving some number of complaints, regardless of the basis or validity of those complaints.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the listing I saw claims "Vibrant is safe with all fish, corals and invertebrates." Isn't the actual ingredient categorized as molluscicidal? Aside from that, Amazon as a rule of thumb sides (for better or for worse) with their customers, not the manufacturers. In other words, their account can be suspended simply by receiving some number of complaints, regardless of the basis or validity of those complaints.
Related to that I’d love to know what vendors are still peddling this stuff… Makes me wonder if its a profits vs responsibility thing …gonna do a search now as a matter of fact/…..
Edit add: the winners are: Ebay, Fish Tanks Direct, Aquacave, and “petpetssmart “ (not a typo) ….

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points. I forgot about the mollusk angle.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who want to remember, this was posted before. ...a really good comparable of a person who rebottled a known EPA substance (diuron 80 or diquat) without disclosing what it was. Product falsely stated that it contained no chemicals and was "biological method with live bacteria." Familiar? Anybody? Happened from 2008 to 2011 ish and only got a final disposition in 2015. This also included some back taxes owed, but got about 8 years in jail for mail fraud.

Anybody who thinks that this is over or that something final has happened is a fool, IMO.

You can search for more on the website.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol at anyone thinking Amazon gives a rip about this hobby or our systems. Hahaha

If enough people file complaints or ask for refunds, they will care.

For those who wish to do something, follow the red arrow... EDIT: these sites rely on community enforcement, so enforce it if you see fit. This is what Amazon wants and needs since they cannot possibly keep track of so many products.
Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 10.07.44 AM.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, but you can say the same about BRS or anybody... or that a reefer could not care less about running a data center or fleet of trucks as long as the products are cheaper and make it on time. File a complaint with amazon and feel good that you did some good today. These type of mega sites rely on crowd and/or community policing, so do it if you care. Amazon will remove things if enough people complain. It happens.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, are you people saying this stuff is still being marketed? You would almost have to be from mars to not know about this stuff
Most buying this likely clueless to R2R therefore won’t know about this concern. Reefing is a small community and not the only participants preoccupied with ridding their tanks of algae.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the listing I saw claims "Vibrant is safe with all fish, corals and invertebrates." Isn't the actual ingredient categorized as molluscicidal?
This claim parallels the language that API Algaefix uses and is EPA approved language on their label . Quoted is a bit of a rundown on some EPA letters I found.
I went hunting to see if I could track down the basis for the claim on Algaefix Marine labels.
"When used in saltwater aquariums, Marine AlgaeFix will not harm snails, clams, scallops, shrimp, anemones, sea cucumbers, feather dusters, coralline algae, soft corals, hard corals, and other invertebrates."

This statement is EPA-approved, but the EPA documentation on Polixetonium chloride (linked in 1st post) doesn't provide a basis for this.
And it seems a gray area - there are people who use it and find no harm (it's obviously less toxic than in freshwater), but there are others who find it probably did cause harm to inverts in saltwater under some circumstances. (my observed losses with heavy algaefix: 4 out of 4 peppermint shrimp, 4/5 urchins, 2/2 turbo snails, 1/1 montipora, 1/1 sand sifting cucumber, 2/~dozen hitchhiker bivalves)

I found this interesting document from 2004 where EPA denies API's request to say it's safe for reef inverts.

"General Comments:
Toxicity Studies in Saltwater and Reef Aquaria

While the submitted data did indicate no mortality from treatment with AlgaeFix, several things make the study of questionable scientific validity. Given the concerns in the attached review, the Agency cannot draw any scientific conclusion from the submitted data. Aquatic studies submitted according to OPPTS Guideline requirements have provided sufficient data to characterize Busan 77 as highly toxic to freshwater organisms, ranging from highly toxic to slightly toxic to marine organisms. Since the concentration of the test chemical was not determined in the study submitted with this package, it is unknown whether the level achieved during application according to label directions will approach levels shown to be toxic to marine invertebrates in the Guideline studies. If you wish to be protective of aquarium organisms such as marine crustacea, further analyses of the concentration of Busan 77 in the water during treatment with AlgaeFix should be conducted to ascertain that it does not approach the levels shown to be toxic to marine invertebrate species in the submitted studies [Mysid, LC50=13ppm (95% confidence interval of 9.1 - 16ppm) NOEC < 7.8 ppm; Quahog clam, LC50 = 350 ppb (95% confidence interval of 0 - 710 ppb), NOEC =230 ppb. Data from published scientific literature may also provide toxicity endpoints for additional species of interest, some of which may be more sensitive than the species tested in EPA Guideline studies."

That was in 2004, but by 2007, apparently additional data had been submitted that satisfied EPA's concerns. The product label documentation in 2007 contains the familiar approved claim of saltwater safety for inverts.

2007_sw_safety claim.png

I say that it must've been additional data, because the EPA still (in 2020) has basically the same low 48hr LC50 for quahog clams - 0.21mg/L.
It's unclear to be how the recommended dose of Algaefix being ~1ppm of active ingredient can square with that unless they showed data that must've said it bonds very quickly and disappears from the water.

Curious if anyone else has seen any data that sheds light on the degree of "safety" for this ingredient in saltwater.

Additionally, here's a letter from 2007 where API says to the EPA they should keep "safe for use" on Algaefix because Tetra Algae Control also did.
safefor use.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you provide a link? Their own website lists the same ingredients.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the Amazon listing?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To the Amazon listing?

This is the non-reef version - either way - who cares - and what ae you trying to say - if you go to the product website - from either the reef safe or the salt or the freshwater version - as far as I can see - there is no difference from before. Perhaps the federal government didn't do as careful testing as that done on R2R or perhaps the federal government doesn't care what's in it. I n any case - IDK take it up with the EPA ??

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back