Wartskin frogfish heavy breathing

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wartskin frogfish is breathing heavily and is tilted over, he had eaten a damsel about half his size a couple days ago, I also noticed one of his feet is disocolored. We’ve had him for about 2 weeks.

image.jpg

Attachments

• 67517961319__259B8C06-5903-46A2-8725-ECFE8F6BB500.MOV
    1.5 MB
OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wartskin frogfish is breathing heavily and is tilted over, he had eaten a damsel about half his size a couple days ago, I also noticed one of his feet is disocolored. We’ve had him for about 2 weeks.

image.jpg

Attachments

• 67517990097__57E96341-D341-4B2D-B6E0-FA1957C8F913.MOV
    649.5 KB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

image.jpg
May be constipation but start with water quality focusing on ammonia and nitrate level
Water temperature and salinity.
Does it have a bulge on its belly?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be constipation but start with water quality focusing on ammonia and nitrate level
this!

Frogfish are also pretty hard to keep, and need colder water

params?

damsel size?

Tank size?

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does have a bulge on its belly, salinity is 1.023, temp 76.3 as I was told they like cooler waters, ammonia is 0, I’m testing nitrite and nitrate next.

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is 0, nitrate is around 15, I was thinking it was constipation but with the way his legs are separated and not grasping the rocks is telling me it could be something else, I noticed his right leg has a purple color which was not there previously too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank is about 5 weeks old cycled with dr Tim’s and water/rocks from another tank, 34 gallons and his tank mates are a domino damsel, a big gorgonian and macroalgae.
Not an ideal first fish as tank will go through spikes here and there.
What test kits are you using?
Is fish yet eating or has stopped?
A water change will not hurt- 5-10 gallons

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an ideal first fish as tank will go through spikes here and there.
What test kits are you using?
Is fish yet eating or has stopped?
A water change will not hurt- 5-10 gallons
I added the damsels about a week before I got him I would’ve waited longer but my lfs could only hold him for 2 weeks, I used the API kits (I know they suck getting Salifert kits soon) he ate 2 days ago but is no longer interested in the other fish in the tank, definitely going to do a water change.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature is 76.3. Damsel was about 1”, frogfish is about 3 and 1/4” testing Params right now

Tank is about 5 weeks old cycled with dr Tim’s and water/rocks from another tank, 34 gallons and his tank mates are a domino damsel, a big gorgonian and macroalgae.
I don't wanna be mean, but you should wait to get frogfish, at the least until your tank is more mature. They are very sensitive hard to keep fish that are not ideal for newbie keepers.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
Frog fish are very delicate and new ones can develop protozoan infections that are difficult to diagnose and treat.
@Lionfish hunter has a recent thread on this problem.
Jay

chair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard an imbalance phosphates and nitrates can be toxic keeping nitrates and phosphates in close range is best with both being low is preferred. I.E. nitrates 2 phosphates 0-1 GOOD with nitrates 15 and phosphates 0 Bad nitrates 1 and phosphates 15 BAD. although don't quote me on the margin of the difference between the two. Perhaps that is what killed him. Or maybe he was just sick before hand. Frogfish can be treated with any fish meds so make sure you never do that... Also after a frogfish eats he will sit for a few days 2-3 before he becomes hungry again depending on his size so that is normal. He will start moving again when he becomes hungry. What did you feed him by chance frog fish feeding can be an issue. but I'm sorry for your loss pal. D:

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard an imbalance phosphates and nitrates can be toxic keeping nitrates and phosphates in close range is best with both being low is preferred. I.E. nitrates 2 phosphates 0-1 GOOD with nitrates 15 and phosphates 0 Bad nitrates 1 and phosphates 15 BAD. although don't quote me on the margin of the difference between the two. Perhaps that is what killed him. Or maybe he was just sick before hand. Frogfish can be treated with any fish meds so make sure you never do that... Also after a frogfish eats he will sit for a few days 2-3 before he becomes hungry again depending on his size so that is normal. He will start moving again when he becomes hungry. What did you feed him by chance frog fish feeding can be an issue. but I'm sorry for your loss pal. D:
I fed him a domino damsel as stated above, i found out my lfs treats all their fish tanks with copper so im pretty sure that’s what caused it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this for others who might find this in the future.

Another thing to keep track of for frog fish is magnesium. It should be kept around 1400-1450, as this aids in digestion of foods.

Also, mollies and ghost shrimp are a better food source for them. Easier to digest than damsels and provide a good balanced diet.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve is there any evidence that damsels are less beneficial then mollies and shrimp, or is this just your opinion?
I fed damsel fry and larger damsels previously and had issues from time to time when doing it. Once I swapped to mollies, guppies and smaller shrimps, my success rate went up a ton. I have had 0 losses in 3 years, knock on wood. In addition, with FW fish like mollies (or you can call them brackish), the chance of bringing in a disease is almost nil. Just this alone is enough for me not use any SW fish that I do not breed myself and know they are parasite free.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back