Was I Humane

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown that had stopped eating and became very lethargic over weeks. I had no idea why.. At the point where he was laying at the bottom barely moving, I went in, with the lights off at night, with a net. I frightened the other fish chasing it around the Aquascape until he quit.

It broke my heart to end his life. But how could I do a quickly to save him grief. I used the garbage disposal. Please tell me I did it the fastest, least painful manner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Freezing it better than a grinder but it was suffering. You did what you had to

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup either cull it in the freezer where it basically gently fades or another means that is immediate. not easy for everyone so hats off for doing the right thing.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard dropping a fish in a cup full of vodka or other liquor is the quickest and least painful way (never tried it so can't confirm). Is this true, anyone have experience?
Op, I'm sorry to hear about your loss; but it was the right thing to do to put your fish out of their misery. I myself just finished scooping out a dead christmas wrasse from my tank :(

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's better that you ended its suffering.

For future reference, Aqua-Sed is the best--it sedates them at low doses and euthanizes them at high doses (400mg/L), but as it is acidic, you do need to buffer the water. Freezing is the next best alternative.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I wouldn’t like to be thrown into a garbage disposal and have the blades shredding me till it finally catches my skull and ends it. Please use liquor or aqua-sed next time, it’s a lot more humane.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to use clove oil, if needed.

4 drops per liter will sedate the fish and is also helpful to calm down Puffer’s that need a teeth trimming.

To euthanize a fish, once sedated, add drops every few minutes until breathing stops, You can then dispose of the fish accordingly. This is basically putting the fish to sleep and then causing an overdose while the fish is sleeping.

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the clove oil.

My SO had to use clove oil recently on her freshwater angel that had stopped eating with a huge lip fibroma. Sedated quickly and was pretty peaceful.

Sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard dropping a fish in a cup full of vodka or other liquor is the quickest and least painful way (never tried it so can't confirm). Is this true, anyone have experience?
Op, I'm sorry to hear about your loss; but it was the right thing to do to put your fish out of their misery. I myself just finished scooping out a dead christmas wrasse from my tank :(
People that don't have Aquariums can't imagine ending the life of your fish is as difficult as to having your dog put to sleep. And I know how that feels also.

Today we were very fortunate to save 2 purple Firefish that were hidden inside a cave of one of my structures. It wasn't until I put it in a tub of salt water, to chisel it apart, that they scadoodle. Saved 2 but lost 1

Naturally I rebuilt my Aquascape and not make that mistake again

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large net and hard slap on edge of counter. Fast and done.
That does sound somewhat cruel and harsh but I understand the biology of it. With their minute brain, that slam would be immediate brain damage and death. As a kid, we would do that when we were fishing. I just don't think I could do it that way now

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back