Was sent someone else’s fish order HELP

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was expecting a Pearlscale Butterfly, a wrasse, 2 Banggai Cardinals and 2 orange Cardinals. Instead I got a large Moorish Idol, a dead Hawfish and a Lawnmower Blenny. I love the Moorish Idols but the whole reason I don’t have one already is because I’m afraid it’ll eat all my coral polyps. Does anyone else have MI in their reef tank and they’ve left your coral alone? My FOWLR tank is only 60G so no way I can put him in there. What will they eat? I have loads of sponge but they’re all in my overflow. What can I feed him while he’s in QT? I put some algae in with him and some pellets and flakes and he ignored it all. I’m afraid he’s going to starve to death.

The LB I already have 2 of those one in each tank. The one in the 180G reef is HUGE and this little guy is little and I just know he’ll get the crap beat out of him. Might have to see if LFS will take him.

Help with MI? Anyone?
Happy Thanksgiving btw

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did the fish store have to say?

Here's an article on Moorish Idols:

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did the fish store have to say?

Here's an article on Moorish Idols:

It was shipped from bluezoo so they’re sending out my fish next week and told me to keep them as I live in Indiana and they were supposed to go to AZ

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... care to share which company made this mistake?

For the moorish idol I would put the word out to any local reef club for help. Maybe someone will be able to help with QT and housing. I have no experience with them.

To bad on the hawkfish.

I have heard of people keeping the LMB as multiples in a larger tank but I again have no personal experience.

Good luck there are lots of knowledgeable people here. Hopefully we can get you some answers.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... care to share which company made this mistake?

For the moorish idol I would put the word out to any local reef club for help. Maybe someone will be able to help with QT and housing. I have no experience with them.

To bad on the hawkfish.

I have heard of people keeping the LMB as multiples in a larger tank but I again have no personal experience.

Good luck there are lots of knowledgeable people here. Hopefully we can get you some answers.

Yes, bluezooaquatics...the guy I deal with super friendly and always goes out on a limb for me. He said they have been so busy. Looks like someone just didn’t match the shipping label with the packing slip. I worry about the other guy if he got my 6 fish plus his 3 reshipped next week. I called and talked to him and he sounds new to the hobby. I hope he’s able to QT 9 fish!!

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, what is that?
Indiana marine aquarium society. Its a reef club in Central Indiana. I have messaged a couple members to see if we can get you some help. Hopefully they will respond. Its a tough time of year to get peoples attention lol...

Roush2000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was expecting a Pearlscale Butterfly, a wrasse, 2 Banggai Cardinals and 2 orange Cardinals. Instead I got a large Moorish Idol, a dead Hawfish and a Lawnmower Blenny. I love the Moorish Idols but the whole reason I don’t have one already is because I’m afraid it’ll eat all my coral polyps. Does anyone else have MI in their reef tank and they’ve left your coral alone? My FOWLR tank is only 60G so no way I can put him in there. What will they eat? I have loads of sponge but they’re all in my overflow. What can I feed him while he’s in QT? I put some algae in with him and some pellets and flakes and he ignored it all. I’m afraid he’s going to starve to death.

The LB I already have 2 of those one in each tank. The one in the 180G reef is HUGE and this little guy is little and I just know he’ll get the crap beat out of him. Might have to see if LFS will take him.

Help with MI? Anyone?
Happy Thanksgiving btw
Yes i have a 250g tank i could put him in

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, bluezooaquatics...the guy I deal with super friendly and always goes out on a limb for me. He said they have been so busy. Looks like someone just didn’t match the shipping label with the packing slip. I worry about the other guy if he got my 6 fish plus his 3 reshipped next week. I called and talked to him and he sounds new to the hobby. I hope he’s able to QT 9 fish!!
This stuff definitely happens. Im glad they are working with you. As with any vendor I've heard good and bad. I think everyone's experience will always be slightly different.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive had moorish idols more than once, Theyve gotten much easier. . eat seaweed, mysis pellets and LRS herbivore diet as well as flakes and spirulina brine shrimp
Huge oversight on their part. Mine did not bother coral but with idols, its hit and miss

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff definitely happens. Im glad they are working with you. As with any vendor I've heard good and bad. I think everyone's experience will always be slightly different.

I put a frozen Ocean Nutrition Formula one frozen cube in the tank (has a little bit of everything in it) and as it’s breaking up in little pieces along the bottom he’s eating it right up YAY...at least he’s eating! We will put him in the 180 reef and watch him closely. I feed all my fish very well, frozen twice a day on top of nori, algae, flakes and pellets as well as glucan immune booster and vitamins to their food soak and they’ve really flourished so hopefully he’ll be good in there. No aggressive fish in there other than a Blue hippo on the smaller side and she’s scared of everything and always hides just from the food tube squirting in the water lol. Some large wrasses but they only mess with one another (male and female fairy) and couple of flasher wrasses, pj Cardinal, banggai and orange Cardinals, blenny, royal gramma, watchman goby, engineer gobies, firefish and a couple of threadfin Cardinals

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a idol in my reef. I keep him well feed and have no issues with him. He is fat and big. Auto feeder 4x a day with PE pellets.
If you get one healthy and eating you should be fine.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worried about a moorish idol in a reef but not a pearlscale butterfly?
Good luck with the Moorish Idol.
Tagging @Silent because he has a gorgeous one and can likely give you some tips.

Oh no, the Pearlscale is going in our FOWLR tank, not the reef haha, I know better with those butterflies. I just had no choice but to put them together because our other QTs are smaller and awaiting the fish I didn’t get.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I put a frozen Ocean Nutrition Formula one frozen cube in the tank (has a little bit of everything in it) and as it’s breaking up in little pieces along the bottom he’s eating it right up YAY...at least he’s eating! We will put him in the 180 reef and watch him closely. I feed all my fish very well, frozen twice a day on top of nori, algae, flakes and pellets as well as glucan immune booster and vitamins to their food soak and they’ve really flourished so hopefully he’ll be good in there. No aggressive fish in there other than a Blue hippo on the smaller side and she’s scared of everything and always hides just from the food tube squirting in the water lol. Some large wrasses but they only mess with one another (male and female fairy) and couple of flasher wrasses, pj Cardinal, banggai and orange Cardinals, blenny, royal gramma, watchman goby, engineer gobies, firefish and a couple of threadfin Cardinals
Eating and No disease/issues- you have an idol.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on our free MI...he did amazingly in QT and once in DT he adapted like a champ. Our Blue Hippo chased him around the first day and caused him to lose his 3/4” banner :( Buuuut they are getting along great now and after barely a week his banner has grown to like 3” like what the heck is that normal for them to grow back that fast and long in such a short amount of time? Anyway, he seems very happy, eats like a champ both frozen and pellets and nori and algae and overall seems very happy. Haven’t seen him mess with any of my coral at all. Hoping he continues to thrive!
Here’s a pic with his banner in case you can’t view the video. He looks kinda funky shaped in the pic because I paused the video and took a screen shot. C7B88AB6-4848-4E2E-AA0E-362C644AD6A5.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6217.MOV
    13.4 MB

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on our free MI...he did amazingly in QT and once in DT he adapted like a champ. Our Blue Hippo chased him around the first day and caused him to lose his 3/4” banner :( Buuuut they are getting along great now and after barely a week his banner has grown to like 3” like what the heck is that normal for them to grow back that fast and long in such a short amount of time? Anyway, he seems very happy, eats like a champ both frozen and pellets and nori and algae and overall seems very happy. Haven’t seen him mess with any of my coral at all. Hoping he continues to thrive!
Here’s a pic with his banner in case you can’t view the video. He looks kinda funky shaped in the pic because I paused the video and took a screen shot. C7B88AB6-4848-4E2E-AA0E-362C644AD6A5.jpeg
That’s awesome to hear!
Try feeding it angel formula, mine loves it and it contains sponge which is important for their nutritional needs.
Nori is also a favorite :)
Yes, their banner grows like weed. Mine routinely loses a part of it and it grows back just as fast.

You lucked out in getting this decision made FOR you

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back