Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since any updates. Acros are doing well:

20230418_141515.jpg

Trying to think of anything else...lost a head on a torch which I believe was due to incorrectly calibrated refractometer.

Had another gosh darn mistake with the sump. Turned the return pump off instead of on feed mode (derp) and unfortunately, the heaters cooked everything in the sump. Water was hot to the touch the following morning (like hotter than shower temperature). Lost my mithrax crab, a pencil urchin I've had for 2 years, and all of my thriving macroalgae and pods. Major bummer. The stank coming from below clued me in. Was a fun time especially after returning from a weekend bike race where I was already bushed after doing 50 miles and driving 8 hours, but it be that way. Gave me an opportunity to clean out the sump completely. Had a good cup of sediment at the bottom and on the bright side, it killed off all the nuisance algae growing down there. As much as it pains me, may just try a cryptic sump for a while. Macro is super cool but I've got a lot going on (just had my gallbladder removed) so minimal is probably better. I was also able to do an effective 40% water change. Thankfully weather here was just right so the tank above had zero losses and in fact seems to be doing better. This will give me an opportunity to try bacteria dosing as well. One thing at a time though.

Also picked up an ORA red goni which is doing great. You can see a months worth of growth here on the red planet...it kind of exploded recently.
20230514_123347.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back